PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul advice

Meianleader
2011-11-15, 02:13 AM
current party:
lv3 sorcerer, celestial elf (reincarnation's fault) (blaster)
lv2 tiefling rogue (assassin type things...failure at social)
lv1 tower shield full plate fighter to join next session (died....& a pseudodragon took him w/ him.., little brother, not too reliable..)
lv1 gnome ranger
& some1 100% new to the game, lv1, prbly gonna play a druid

i'd be a lv3 TN elf FS of nerull
stats: str 8, dex 17, con 17 (+5 tome..), int 7, wis 8, cha 17
feats: endurance & diehard
skills: concentration

since a lot of the party has LA (no buyoff) or has no idea (currently) what they're doing, i'd say it'd be fine to aquire LA, specifically, are there any templates or such out there that i could aquire that'd raise...rlly any 3 of my lower ability scores or give nice things for a FS
what i want: a character fluttering about, delivering death for nerull's delight, in the most innocent of manners

i'm rather ignorant of any other classes, feats, magic items or templates that could help me achieve this..(of course, gotta stay party's primary healer, & continue to fulfill or help others fulfill the role of tank & damage..)
(books: 3.5)
tx

Ernir
2011-11-15, 05:47 AM
The level range and the fact that your level 3 character has managed to find a +5 tome suggest that your DM doesn't exactly play things by the book. Can you list the houserules you have?
Particularly those relating to how you gain XP and templates. Can you get more or less any acquired template out there? Because if so, and LA doesn't matter... there's a lot of options out there.

Also, proper capitalization and spelling can go a long way towards increasing the amount and quality of feedback you get.

Meianleader
2011-11-15, 09:12 AM
The +5 tome came from, I think it was 3 or 4 rolls of 100 in a row, followed by whatever number it was on whatever chart the DM was using

I'd most likely be able to achieve just about anything if I really set out to do it (though many things can kick our butt due to low level)

Darth_Versity
2011-11-15, 09:20 AM
The +5 tome came from, I think it was 3 or 4 rolls of 100 in a row, followed by whatever number it was on whatever chart the DM was using

I'd most likely be able to achieve just about anything if I really set out to do it (though many things can kick our butt due to low level)

If your DM rolled for a +5 Tome then he is doing something wrong. The earliest you can get that is after defeating a CR 10 enemy which should destroy your group.

Qwertystop
2011-11-15, 09:26 AM
You took Endurance and Diehard...

What.

Campbellk8105
2011-11-15, 09:56 AM
You took Endurance and Diehard...

What.

I agree... Why Endurance and Diehard? For what you said you are gonna be is the primary healer...

dextercorvia
2011-11-15, 11:10 AM
Your scores are awful. You won't be doing melee with an 8 str. Your saving throw DC's are going to stink with an 8 wisdom. Lets see what we can do. I'm assuming you rolled your stats and can rearrange them (excepting your +5 tome), so here goes: 8,17,12,7,8,17.

You are going to be an Unseelie Fey, Primordial Giant, Half Minotaur Half Giant. Apply these from Half Giant backwards in the sentence. This gets you +2 LA. Your ability scores are going to be

Str: 17 +2 +4 +8 -4 -2 = 25
Dex: 12 -2 -2 +2 = 10 (Wear the heaviest armor you can)
Con: 8 +2 +2 +4 -2 -2 +5 (Tome) = 17
Int: 7 -2 +4 = 9
Wis: 8 = 8 (Focus on buffs and melee)
Cha: 17 +4 +2 = 23

Some side benefits:

Half Giant: Powerful Build (+Large size) means you count as Huge for opposed checks. Low Light Vision, Psionic Subtype and 2 bonus PP.

Half-Minotaur: +10 feet of speed, +2 NA, Gore attack, Darkvision 60ft, Scent, Track

Primordial Giant: SLA stuff

Unseelie Fey: Wings with a fly speed 80, Winter's Chill can make anyone that closes with you uneasy, DR/cold iron based on your HD

For feats, take Apprentice Spellcaster, Mother Cyst, and Versatile Spellcaster. Mother Cyst gives you some okay spells known, Apprentice Spellcaster lets you swap one at each level (with no limit on the level) for another one from your list. Those two feats will get you an extra 11 spells known. Versatile Spellcaster will let you cast spells you know using two lower level slots -- this includes the ones you know from the Necrotic Apprentice trick, and will allow you to cast spells before you should be able to. That will help with the LA.

Darth_Versity
2011-11-15, 11:46 AM
snip

I'm sure he only asked for advice, not a selection of cheese for crackers :smallbiggrin:

You say that your available books are 3.5, does that mean all of them or just a selection?

Are your abilities/feats set in stone or are they changable?

Can you reroll your abilities, as they are not very good for a FS?

dextercorvia
2011-11-15, 12:37 PM
I'm sure he only asked for advice, not a selection of cheese for crackers :smallbiggrin:

I didn't even see the crackers. Awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Campbellk8105
2011-11-15, 01:14 PM

Yes. All I can say is Yes. I literally had this exact thought the other day while reading a post.

As for everything else said, it doesnt seem like your really built for a FS. Definitely change your stats around if you can.

dextercorvia
2011-11-15, 01:21 PM
In my defense, he asked for templates to shore up his low scores and help him be a better FS.

Phrenic Creature would probably be a less extreme alternative. I don't think it is worth the +2 LA, however.

Meianleader
2011-11-15, 02:04 PM
By 3.5 i did mean all 3.5

.....at the very least, endurance has helped out quite a bit in things..

While I *may* be able to get by with changing a few things about my character, I probably won't be able to really change things freely - so I was moreover looking for things that could be used after the fact of my character
though, everyone likes cheese & crackers & enough of it will eventually fill you up (thanks for the ideas dex)

JackRackham
2011-11-15, 05:36 PM
How are you able to cast spells!? I thought favored souls got bonus spells from CHA, but used WIS to cast them? (Or, at the least, used wisdom for DCs....)

Meianleader
2011-11-15, 05:39 PM
wis for DC
cha for everything else