PDA

View Full Version : splat extended skills [3.5]

kulosle
2011-11-15, 06:09 AM
so my group is interested in extending the usefulness of skills. basically i want to know every splat book that extended the use of skills, either by extending the skills text or a feat/class feature that lets your skills do more then they normally would, like wandering diplomat.

vitkiraven
2011-11-15, 11:01 AM
Wow, that's a tall order, as most books include some variant or bonus to skill use. Which skills in particular? To narrow the list of course.

Keld Denar
2011-11-15, 11:25 AM
I know Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer do. I'm pretty sure all of the sources that introduce a new system do, so that included Tome of Battle, Expanded Psionic Handbook, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic, etc. I'm pretty sure Complete Scoundrel also does.

I'm not sure about any others without actually flipping through my library.

Zeofar
2011-11-15, 12:04 PM
Complete Adventurer, Races of Stone, Races of Destiny, Races of the Wild, and Heroes of Battle, and, to a lesser degree, Complete Warrior and Races of the Dragon provide some reasonably extensive skill expansions.

Stormwrack has detailed, but rather specific extended skill uses.

The Dungeon Master's Guide II, Player's Handbook II, and Heroes of Battle give Teamwork Benefits which can let you do some unique things if characters have some shared skill.

Complete Scoundrel's Skill Tricks allow you to buy expanded uses with skill points.

As for feats and class features that new uses to skills, there are far too many to list here, though it depends on exactly what your standards are for extending skills. In general, most every splatbook has a few. You might want to see if you can find the D&D files that used to be on Crystal Keep, since they used to have pretty comprehensive lists that sound like exactly what you want. Hope this helps.

Greenish
2011-11-15, 12:11 PM
Rules Compendium has rather good selection of the expanded uses for different skills from other books. Not everything, but better selection than most any other single book.

kulosle
2011-11-16, 03:02 AM
Rules Compendium has rather good selection of the expanded uses for different skills from other books. Not everything, but better selection than most any other single book.

yes thats what i was hoping for. we basically want skills to have more of a use in game so we are looking for all of the things they can do and just make them more routine. so basically every book? oh boy :)

Ravens_cry
2011-11-16, 05:47 AM
My inner Grammar Nazi wants to know where you put all your capital letters.

Psyren
2011-11-16, 09:53 AM
Check online too, as there are articles on the WotC site that do this as well. For instance, the dead levels article that lets Swashbucklers seduce with the Bluff skill.

kulosle
2011-11-16, 10:03 AM
I Put Them Here.

Oh Thanks. This Should Be Fun. Some Of The Extended Skills Are Things We've Already House Ruled Work. If We Let Skills Automatically Do Things That Would Normally Require Feats To Do, Would That Over Power Skills?

Alleran
2011-11-16, 10:14 AM
Check online too, as there are articles on the WotC site that do this as well. For instance, the dead levels article that lets Swashbucklers seduce with the Bluff skill.
It makes sense that Bluff can be used to seduce.

"Of course I love you! What? No, I'd never sleep with you just for sex! What a terrible thing to say!"

kulosle
2011-11-16, 10:20 AM
Good sir, there simply isn't an adequate response to how much that made me laugh. :smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-16, 10:30 AM
"Did I mention that I am a very well-endowed and passionate lover?"

Psyren
2011-11-16, 10:35 AM
"Did I mention that I am a very well-endowed and passionate lover?"

"I'm totally interested in what you have to say, I'm not afraid of commitment at all, and I'd never brag to my friends about what we did in the tavern tomorrow night."

ILM
2011-11-16, 10:41 AM
"No, I don't know that other girl."

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-16, 02:17 PM
Ending the series of posts that, while funny, border on off-topic.

I Put Them Here.

Oh Thanks. This Should Be Fun. Some Of The Extended Skills Are Things We've Already House Ruled Work. If We Let Skills Automatically Do Things That Would Normally Require Feats To Do, Would That Over Power Skills?

In my opinion, no. The vast majority of feats that expand the use of a skill are harldy worth a feat. Set a minimum number of ranks before you can attempt that use should be fairly balanced, bringing more power to skill monkies.

Psyren
2011-11-16, 02:20 PM
Hell, Skill Tricks should also be doable with a simple skill check, without having to "take them" first.

And the 1/encounter thing is ridiculous. I'd prefer an increasing DC mechanic similar to Truenaming's Law of Resistance. This would form sort of a "soft cap" while still letting you bust out a vital trick in a hairy situation, just with less chance of success.

kulosle
2011-11-17, 03:02 AM
yeah i totally agree with that. any ideas on how many skill ranks you should have before you should be able to attempt them? i was thinking just the skill ranks that are required, maybe a little hire if they have feats as prerequisites. what do you think?

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-17, 01:37 PM
google 'chet kindredcircle'... when you find the name of the 3.5e booklet, copy-paste the name, and then google the filename for what is the 3.0 skill booklet, replacing the 5 with a 0. Download the other booklet. Look at the two booklets, and then go find the books they mention.

kulosle
2011-11-17, 02:20 PM
Oh wow thank you. This is perfect.

Zaq
2011-11-17, 03:12 PM
Hell, Skill Tricks should also be doable with a simple skill check, without having to "take them" first.

And the 1/encounter thing is ridiculous. I'd prefer an increasing DC mechanic similar to Truenaming's Law of Resistance. This would form sort of a "soft cap" while still letting you bust out a vital trick in a hairy situation, just with less chance of success.

And lo, the evil law was taken, and it was changed to good.