PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Build Ideas on a Fochlucan Lyrist/Swanmay Character

TheRinni
2011-11-15, 07:54 AM
The idea is that I qualify for the Fochlucan Lyrist, and take a few levels in the PrC. Then, I switch and begin taking levels in Swanmay, using my Spells per Day, "+1 level of existing class," to get the Spells of my Fochlucan Lyrist class.

Now. That might be bit of a stretch, but it certainly seems feasible, right?

noparlpf
2011-11-15, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty sure when they say spells of an existing class they mean a base class, not a prestige class.

TheRinni
2011-11-15, 08:08 AM
I'm pretty sure when they say spells of an existing class they mean a base class, not a prestige class.

I'm aware of what they most likely intended by the phrase, yes. As I've said, this is a stretch. But, taking it intentionally out of context and using it to my advantage, I'd like to know what I could do with it.

I honestly don't think it would be much of a problem with the DM I have in mind.

noparlpf
2011-11-15, 08:13 AM
Where is Swanmay? I don't remember what it does offhand.

TheRinni
2011-11-15, 08:17 AM
Where is Swanmay? I don't remember what it does offhand.

EoED, page 76. It's a Druid/Ranger prestige class, with an emphasis on shape shifting into a Swan.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-11-15, 08:21 AM
If it's something that has actual spellcasting like Assassin, or Beholder Mage then you could advance it, but Lyrist doesn't have that, ergo it's not feasible by RAW. DM may rule either way, but you don't need us to get that kind of approval.

noparlpf
2011-11-15, 08:22 AM
"Starting at 2nd level, and at each swanmay level thereafter, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in either druid or ranger, whichever class she belonged to before adding the prestige class level."

It's not to "an existing class", it's specifically either Druid or Ranger.

TheRinni
2011-11-15, 08:28 AM
"Starting at 2nd level, and at each swanmay level thereafter, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in either druid or ranger, whichever class she belonged to before adding the prestige class level."

It's not to "an existing class", it's specifically either Druid or Ranger.

If it's something that has actual spellcasting like Assassin, or Beholder Mage then you could advance it, but Lyrist doesn't have that, ergo it's not feasible by RAW. DM may rule either way, but you don't need us to get that kind of approval.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in the original post of this thread. I understand all of what you have both stated. This wasn't meant as a discussion on whether or not this is viable by RAW; this is a thread for me to gather ideas on a build taking this deliberate twist on the rules into account.

However, if you would like to contribute suggestions for builds that place Swanmay before the Fochlucan Lyrist, and only provide the SpD of one class, I'd absolutely love the ideas!

More specifically, I'm concentrating on the first twelve levels. Bard/Rogue/Druid seems to be the classic way to enter Fochlucan Lyrist. But, Ranger is something I believe may also warrant consideration, due to its affiliation with the Swanmay class.

Arcane_Snowman
2011-11-15, 08:41 AM
Ring of Evasion will eliminate the need for the Rogue, spend the extra points to get Druidic and you should be able to do it with Ranger 4/Bard 1/Swanmay 10/Lyrist 5/Swanmay. You'd need 1 level of Swanmay's advancement to be spent on getting 1st level bard spells, and you'd need a total of at least 5 levels of Swanmay before you could get your first level of Lyrist, but after that you're free to mix and match as you choose.

Darrin
2011-11-15, 09:04 AM
If you want to get dual 9's as a Fochlucan Lyrist:

Bard 2/Druid 3/Green Whisperer 2/Arcane Hierophant 3/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9
Feats:
1) Shape Soulmeld: Impulse Boots
3) {open}
6) Open Least Chakra: Feet
9) Natural Spell

You could back-end that with 5-8 levels of Swanway.