PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best low level Cleric and Druid spells for dealing with mooks

Novawurmson
2011-11-15, 11:31 AM
My party, including me (4th level cleric) and a friend (5th level druid) may be fighting a bunch of low level enemies (mostly archers in full plate) in a few week's time. The DM only allows non-core spells through IC research, something we don't have the luxury of in the wilderness.

So what are the best core level 1-2 cleric spells and 1-3 druid spells you can think of to deal with a bunch of angry archers?

Urpriest
2011-11-15, 11:35 AM
Obscuring Mist would make it much harder for them to hit you. Entangle lowers their Dex and to-hit. Between those you can make a large number of archers have a hard time doing much of anything to you.

gbprime
2011-11-15, 11:55 AM
Uh... Wind Wall, anyone? Druid 3.

Snowbluff
2011-11-15, 12:30 PM
Luminous Armor. Then run straight at them.

Diarmuid
2011-11-15, 12:34 PM
Luminous Armor. Then run straight at them.

Non-Core only through IC research per the OP.

The mists and the Wind Wall are good, as is Entropic Shield.

Elric VIII
2011-11-15, 12:41 PM
Sanctuary is good if you want to avoid getting hit. Mooks tend to have low saves, compared to an equal-CR enemy, so you're bound to be protected from a fair amount.

Calm Emotions + Enthrall is a good way to bypass hoards of mooks.

SNA II or III for 1d3 or 1d4+1 wolves is nice BFC. You can have them ready actions to trip enemies that are about to attack your allies. This will prevent them from attacking and they will get a normal attack and an AoO (from standing) before they get a chance to retaliate.

Novawurmson
2011-11-15, 12:50 PM
Had thought of most of those (in the first confrontation with these mooks, we accidentally screwed ourselves by casting Entangle; sure, it hurt them, but it hurt a lot worse when they crit the druid for 30 damage and she was stuck inside the middle of the Entangle), but Entropic Shield and Wind Wall look promising.

Might be a decent idea to drop Sanctuary on the druid if she takes only crowd control/support spells.

I thought of Enthrall...but the DM would probably rule that it wouldn't work because we've been kill-or-be-killed enemies with the force for some time.

Do you think it would be a better idea to summon more, weaker creatures or fewer, bigger creatures?

gbprime
2011-11-15, 01:01 PM
Do you think it would be a better idea to summon more, weaker creatures or fewer, bigger creatures?

Can you summon anything with DR 5/magic? Archers hate that.

From the basic book lists, the best thing your Druid can call up would be Dire Badgers.

Can you throw up a Wind Wall and then cast Call Lightning and snipe at the archers?

Novawurmson
2011-11-15, 01:16 PM
I think I can summon a Lemure... but that's hardly a threat.

They have a level 4-6 cleric that might be able to dispel Wind Wall...so I don't want to put all our eggs in one basket, but that's a viable strategy, yes.

gbprime
2011-11-15, 01:21 PM
If your druid can close to short range with them, you can also use Warp Wood to ruin five bows.

(Remember, a weapon's size category is NOT the same thing as it's size as an item. A longbow for a medium creature is actually a Small object.)

Novawurmson
2011-11-15, 01:32 PM
If your druid can close to short range with them, you can also use Warp Wood to ruin five bows.

(Remember, a weapon's size category is NOT the same thing as it's size as an item. A longbow for a medium creature is actually a Small object.)

:O WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAA

nedz
2011-11-15, 06:00 PM
Fog Cloud to either allow you to close for melle or run away?

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-15, 06:13 PM
Sound Burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soundBurst.htm) is a decent choice for you. The damage is minor (1d8) but it has a nifty Fort save or be stunned for 1 round.

As has been mentioned, Obscuring Fog and Enthrall are good choices.

For the Druid, Wind Wall is a good choice.