PDA

View Full Version : I need half a warforged gestalt

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-11-15, 03:52 PM
O most wise playgrounders, I have a character for a pbp, and I know not what to make of him. The game is an all warforged gestalt dungeon crawl, and I only know what I want for half of the gestalt.

The game starts at level 1, and I would like warlock for one side. Otherwise, I have no idea how I will build this character.

All books allowed, and I don't want anything that needs hours of rest to recharge (I want to take advantage of the fact that warforged don't need to rest).

Stats (Not yet assigned): 16, 16, 16, 14, 11, 9

So playground, have at it.

Kaje
2011-11-15, 04:02 PM
Factotum - Pretty much entirely passive. At level 8, you get extra standard actions, which is great for a warlock.

Binder - Binding requires 1 minute per vestige, hardly the hour that spellprepping takes. And there's the built in fluff synergy with a warlock. Plus it helps with Hellfire Warlock, if you want to go that route.

Incarnate - Shaping melds takes some time, but once shaped, they last as long as you want. Plus lots of utility and passiveness. And like Binder, it can help with Hellfire Warlock.

Spellless Wild Shape Ranger / Master of Many Forms - Go ahead, try telling me that being a flying robot bear shooting lasers from its face isn't awesome. I dare you.

SamBurke
2011-11-15, 04:28 PM
Spellless Wild Shape Ranger / Master of Many Forms - Go ahead, try telling me that being a flying robot bear shooting lasers from its face isn't awesome. I dare you.

It's nt... it's noaaaaa.... IT'S TOO AWESOME! "And sooo attractive!"

Also, Wizard works. For everything. Forever. It'll help with utility and such, for sure. Sorc would, too, for synergy.

kardar233
2011-11-15, 04:33 PM
How about my favourite gestalt combination: The WarBardLock!

Warlock6/Cloistered Cleric1/Harmonious Prestige Paladin of (alignment)2/Hellfire Warlock3/Legacy Champion8//Bard4/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian1/Shou Disciple1/Warblade14

This gets you 15th level Invocation usage, 9th level maneuvers, Pounce, good Inspire Courage, CHA to saves, Invocation DCs and attacks (if you pick up SFW). You should burn a few feats on Dragontouched and DFI for bonus damage. Done right, I was hitting for ~40d6 untyped/sonic damage.

WARNING: This build relies on the Dragon Magazine feats Beast Strike and Eldritch Claws, in #355 and #358 respectively.

Telonius
2011-11-15, 04:38 PM

You'll be playing this guy:

http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2011/05/chainclaw-470x388.jpg

Which is all kinds of awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Artificer generally works well, too; but since you want to minimize downtime it might not be that great. (At least until you can put your Dedicated Wright in a bag of holding, anyway).

In general, I'd suggest taking as many passive invocations (+x for 24 hours) as you can. On its own, Warlock isn't that powerful. But Warlock buffs to any other class can be really, really nice. At minimum, they'll save spell slots or maneuvers; at best they'll enable some nice combinations.

Psyren
2011-11-15, 05:03 PM
Three options come to mind:

1) Binder is best if you're married to the idea of not needing sleep. You can even refluff it to be more robotic - e.g. special tech modules you install instead of enigmatic far realm denizens. (e.g. you can fluff Otiax as being gigantic exhaust vents that you can use offensively.) They would then occasionally glitch (read: Influence) your programming.

2) Incarnum is another great option, especially if you go with a Legion/Ermac sort of backstory. Instead of being a robotic body with one soul, channel Incarnum and be a hundred souls.

Note that both of these options give you handy protection for use with Hellfire Warlock.

3) If you don't mind having to rest now and then, Archivist is the best caster by far to pair with a Warlock. Craft yourself every obscure divine scroll you could possibly want (e.g. Divine Bard and Paladin of Tyranny) then add them to your prayerbook; this will get you the lowest level versions of many spells.

Inferno
2011-11-15, 05:59 PM
Some levels in Scout/Ranger(swift hunter) and unseen seer could be useful to boost damage output. Something like Scout 3/Ranger17//Warlock 10/Unseen Seer 10

19 Bab, tons of skirmish damage, EB, 6+int skills at most levels.
Edit: Oh, and all good saves.

Waker
2011-11-15, 09:29 PM
Well, since you don't have a role defined that you want to play, I'd say go with something like Warlock/Crusader. Neither your invocations or maneuvers require rest, the crusader makes you less squishy, gives you good fort and BAB, adds a few skills, plus at lvl 13 you get Mettle, which is great for a character with High Fort/Will. I would suggest you use the Crusader maneuvers as your main damage dealers with invocations to fill in some gaps in your characters abilities.