PDA

View Full Version : Magical stone

weckar
2011-11-15, 04:06 PM
Simple matter, really: I have a spell that works on stone, but not on magical stone. Now because of the setting, part of the stone used I will have to create through means of spells. Question: which spells produce natural stone, and which produce magical stone? I'm talking in terms of Major Creation, Flesh to Stone, etc.

Douglas
2011-11-15, 04:34 PM
If by "magical" you mean "maintained by magic such that dispelling could make it disappear", the key point to look at is spell duration. Instantaneous means the magic happens and then is gone, and the result is nonmagical and not subject to dispelling. Anything else, including Permanent, means the magic sticks around as an inherent part of the object and if the magic gets dispelled then the object disappears.

Major Creation produces magical objects. Flesh to Stone is instantaneous and produces a mundane (though special in that it can in theory be changed back to the original flesh) statue.

Probably your main go-to spell for this will be Wall of Stone.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-15, 04:39 PM
Actually major creation doesn't.

It says "As minor creation" and the first line of Minor Creation is "You create a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving, vegetable matter".

So Major Creation works, even though it probably isn't RAI.

ko_sct
2011-11-15, 07:03 PM
What happen if you use major creation to make a stone bridge and then cover it whit an anti-magic field ? Its non-magical, so it doesnt cease to exist.
But what after the duration is up ? It remains there untill it exit the anti-magic zone ? or does it magicaly disapear while inside an anti-magic zone ?

Either way, it could be funny.
Create lots of precious gem and such, go in an dead magic zone. Put them in some kind of dungeon in the dead magic zone. Laught as they disapear everytime someone manage to take them and exit the anti-magic zone.

OR

Create lots of stone pillar to support the ceilling and put an anti-magic zone = timed death trap.

Douglas
2011-11-15, 07:16 PM
Actually major creation doesn't.

It says "As minor creation" and the first line of Minor Creation is "You create a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving, vegetable matter".

So Major Creation works, even though it probably isn't RAI.
I consider that a deliberately obtuse reading of the spell. It is clearly referring to the fact that the created object has no magical properties of its own - that you can't create a +1 sword - not that it is not created and maintained by magic.

Siosilvar
2011-11-15, 07:20 PM
What happen if you use major creation to make a stone bridge and then cover it whit an anti-magic field ? Its non-magical, so it doesnt cease to exist.
But what after the duration is up ? It remains there untill it exit the anti-magic zone ? or does it magicaly disapear while inside an anti-magic zone ?

A literal reading of the spell including the "as minor creation" line creates a non-magical stone bridge that disappears while within an anti-magic field, just like any other spell effect is suppressed within an anti-magic field.