PDA

View Full Version : [4e] New Monster Race Help

Adoendithas
2011-11-15, 05:09 PM
I've been trying to create a custom race of lizardfolk-esque monsters for 4e, and have reskinned lots of other monsters for it.

Right now I just need a racial ability for them. One that I was thinking of was this:

Whenever you make a melee or ranged basic attack, you may shift up to 1/4 your speed before making the attack.

Does it seem fair? The monsters are heroic tier, if that matters.

Mando Knight
2011-11-15, 05:25 PM
Right now I just need a racial ability for them. One that I was thinking of was this:

Whenever you make a melee or ranged basic attack, you may shift up to 1/4 your speed before making the attack.

Does it seem fair? The monsters are heroic tier, if that matters.

It's too awkward. If they have less than 8 speed (and probably ~90% of all player characters will), then why not just make it Shift 1 square? If it's a monster entry, then why not define its shifting distance right there?

It's also capable of being abused: a monster will use its MBA most of the time, but a PC will usually use Basic Attacks only if they're capable of using them alongside their other powers, such as an Essentials Fighter (who modifies his MBAs with his powers) or a Seeker (who has many powers that count as RBAs), or if they have a trigger that lets them make a basic attack (such as an Opportunity Attack or the Fighter's mark).

Adoendithas
2011-11-15, 05:52 PM
Okay, I'll change it to shift one (or maybe two) square[s]. Some of them (the Claviger, Ranger, and Minion) only use basic attacks, the others can as well (Magic Missile and some other reskinned ranged attack).