PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Wikipedia!

Wardog
2011-11-15, 06:38 PM
I was just reading the article about badgers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger#Popular_culture), and found this at the end:

Popular culture
Badger characters are featured in author Brian Jacques' Redwall series, most often falling under the title of Badger Lord or Badger Mother, and the 19th century poem "The Badger" by John Clare describes a badger hunt and badger-baiting. The character Frances in Russell Hoban's children's books is a badger. A badger god is featured in The Immortals by Tamora Pierce and "The Badger" is a comic book hero created by Mike Baron.

Many other stories featuring badgers as characters include Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Mr. Tod (Tommy Brock), the Rupert Bear adventures by Mary Tourtel, Prince Caspian (Trufflehunter) by C. S. Lewis, Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows, T. H. White's The Once and Future King and The Book of Merlyn, Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl, Colin Dann's The Animals of Farthing Wood, Richard Adams's Watership Down and Erin Hunter's Warriors. In the Harry Potter books, the official mascot of the Hogwarts house of Hufflepuff is the badger, featuring this animal in the house's coat of arms as well as in the entire school's. The Hufflepuff common room has little underground tunnels leading to the dormitories, all of which have perfectly round doors, like barrel tops (much like a badger sett). In The Incident at Hawks Hill by Allan W. Eckert a badger is one of the main characters.

Badgers are also featured in films and animations: a flash video of "The Badger Song" shows a group doing calisthenics; in Pokémon, Typhlosion and Linoone are based on badgers. Walt Disney's 1973 film Robin Hood, depicts the character of Friar Tuck as a badger.

In Japanese folklore, the badger is a wild creature that sometimes appears as a mischievous being.[31] In Europe, badgers were traditionally used to predict the length of winter.[32] The badger is both the state animal of the U.S. state of Wisconsin[33] and the mascot of the University of Wisconsin's athletic teams. The badger is also the official mascot of Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.

In 2007 suggestions that British forces deliberately released man-eating badgers near Basra, Iraq, to intimidate the local population were refuted.[34][35]

Badgers are found in the game Dwarf Fortress, are found in groups of three to six, are extremely quick, and are prone to rage. Dwarves may like them for their underground communities and their striped faces.
(My emphasis).

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the things that make it in.

Aedilred
2011-11-15, 07:10 PM
In 2007 suggestions that British forces deliberately released man-eating badgers near Basra, Iraq, to intimidate the local population were refuted.
It was that part that got my attention!

Weezer
2011-11-15, 07:21 PM
I was just reading the article about badgers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger#Popular_culture), and found this at the end:

(My emphasis).

Why shouldn't it be in there? It's merely pointing out a popular culture usage of badgers, in the popular culture section, seems reasonable to me.

Keld Denar
2011-11-15, 08:07 PM
No mention of the Honey Badger? They're so nasty! They have no regard for any other animal whatsoever.

dgnslyr
2011-11-16, 06:26 PM
Well, I'm guessing the page is for more typical badgers, because honey badgers are really a different animal entirely, and the only things they have in common are name and color. Besides, honey badgers have their own pop culture appearance list, though it's unfortunately short.

Wardog
2011-11-16, 07:09 PM
It was that part that got my attention!

I suppose that is the more inately crazy thing (or Crazyzee!), given that it was probably a honey badger) but it did get an actual mention on the national news, so I suppose mentioning it is reasonable.

Whereas noting the Dwarf Fortress prefstrings arguably out-does XKCD's wood (http://xkcd.com/446/)article.

littlebottom
2011-11-16, 09:52 PM
also, i noticed wikipedia is now asking for "monthly donations to keep wikipedia free" :smallconfused: but doesnt that mean its no longer free if we are directly funding it as opposed to indirectly (IE: their money doesnt come from "the public")

as for badgers, im supprised it doesnt have an entry going "badgers feature heavily in the famous internet song "badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom!":smalltongue:

EDIT: ignore me, it mentions it :smallannoyed:

i think ive just lost faith in humanity and i dont know why...:smallsigh:

TheSummoner
2011-11-16, 09:56 PM

Are you trying to say that the pack size, speed and rage prone nature of badgers in Dwarf Fortress isn't relevent information? I'll have you know I lost three fortresses to the furry bastards. You saying people shouldn't be made aware? You saying people should just suffer whatever badger fate befalls them?

Sounds like elf talk to me.

littlebottom
2011-11-16, 10:00 PM
Are you trying to say that the pack size, speed and rage prone nature of badgers in Dwarf Fortress isn't relevent information? I'll have you know I lost three fortresses to the furry bastards. You saying people shouldn't be made aware? You saying people should just suffer whatever badger fate befalls them?

Sounds like elf talk to me.

possibly the best post of all time, you have restored my faith in humanity!

Heliomance
2011-11-18, 08:34 AM
possibly the best post of all time, you have restored my faith in humanity!

I think you mean dwarfdom, not humanity.