PDA

View Full Version : The Fate of Dr. Honn (IC)

canjowolf
2011-11-15, 07:28 PM
The air is crisp on this cold November day in central New York. The wind howls through the holes in the mortar holding together the brick walls of the Fine Clothes Emporium dye factory, known to geniuses like yourselves as Garret Oswald's Hatt Shoppe.

Garret Oswald is a Director in his late 50's and has been known in the genius community since his work in fighting off the Martian Invasion not too long ago, although he had been quietly working on his mind control devices long before that.

He has summoned you here today to congratulate you on opening your new factory, and to council you about recent events. He has just let you in to his office, which is warmed slightly

Garret begins his long introductory monologue thusly: "Greetings Lady and Gentlemen. I am Sir Garret Oswald, and I welcome you to my factory. Feel free to have something to banish that cold. I have tea, coffee, gin, and a little whiskey from my friends up in the Adirondacks. Good stuff if you like that sort of thing.

Now I know that recent events have been troubling. That damnable hellion Charles Harath is at it again, riling up the locals against us Genuses, saying that we are destroying the economy and putting people out of work with our automated factories. If people want work then they should go get an education, that's what I say. Still, most people just can't see the wisdom in obtaining a proper education these days, and some are getting so carried away that they are breaking into factories and destroying our machines and laboratory equipment. Don't fret about your lab though, I've taken the liberty of hiring some security contractors to upgrade your defensive systems. They should be by sometime this week to help you out.

Now I can hear you asking yourselves 'Why did this old man summon us here when he could have just warned us over the phone?'. Well I'll tell you. With the recent troubles and mobs several of our colleagues have dropped off the map. Some of my oldest friends have stopped responding to phone calls and e-mails. One particularly troubling case is that of my good friend Dr. Honn. You may have heard of his work with mechanical spiders. Nasty little buggers, what with the poison and the acid and the miniature disintegration rays. Well anyway, he was supposed to send me a schematic for a new air ship that he has been working on lately, but he hasn't sent any word and the Navigators tell me that his subscription is about to run out. I fear that something may have happened to him. Could you fellows, and lady, musn't forget the lady, go down to his factory in Schenectady and pay the old chap a visit? I do hope that he is all right."

Lilithgow
2011-11-15, 08:02 PM
The thin figure of Jiles Marten detaches himself from his chair, now content that he's successfully seen everyone in the room.
"Investigation, is it? Dr...Honn." A notebook is produced seemingly from thin air, and furious notes are scribbled into it. "I don't suppose we could relay anymore information about this character to me. To us? Height, hair colour, date of birth, blood group, that sort of thing?"

His pen comes to a stop, some time after he finishes talking, transcribing copious notes while looking unnervingly at the aged Director.

canjowolf
2011-11-15, 08:19 PM
"Oh yes," begins Sir Oswald "I've known him for so long that I sometimes forget that not everyone one else knows him. Well, Frank is about 186 centimeters tall, and weighs about 100 kilos. He has dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, caucasian, 64 years old, although he looks to be in his late 40's, Frank always did age well you see, and he has an infuriating habit of keeping all of his blood inside him where I can't get a proper sample to analyze it. I'll email you a photo of him after you leave. For as long as I have known him he has worn a crew cut, and he has taken to wearing fleece vests and carpenters jeans of late. I can't imagine why. He has a deep and melodic voice, used to sing baber shop with him once upon a time. I'll never forget that time that I spilled grape juice all over his new pinstripe suit. Oh, those were the days".

Indalecio
2011-11-15, 09:32 PM
"That is indeed most infuriating, keeping all his blood inside himself, where a proper sample can't be obtained." Arthur Hammond is a caucasian man in his sixties with silver and black thinning hair. He's wearing a plaid shirt and tan pants beneath a tan duster. Next to him is a covered bird cage, where soft snores are coming from. Arthur takes a sip of tea. "Now as to this Charles Harath fellow. What can you tell us about him? Is he by chance a Clockstopper, or perhaps just some ordinary fellow?"

canjowolf
2011-11-16, 08:14 PM
Sir Oswald's face clouds over with confusion for a moment before realization lights up his eyes. "Ah, yes, well I suppose so. He is certainly a rabble rouser that has always objected to the privileged life style enjoyed by many of us in the intelligentsia. He claims that our wonders are dangerous and that we are all unethical monsters playing at being God. He doesn't just target Geniuses, but mundane scientists as well, especially those involved in controversial fields. I've never heard of him doing anything other than inciting fear and distrust of the intelligencia, but he certainly could be a hollow one. I do know that a group of young Geniuses attempted to assassinate the fellow and have not been heard from since".

Indalecio
2011-11-16, 11:21 PM
"Most troubling. That implies that he is, either a clockstopper, or has powerful friends. He pauses a moment. Or possibly that he's extremely lucky.. Arty takes another sip of tea. "Back to Dr. Honn for a minute. When was the last time you had any contact with the good doctor?"

canjowolf
2011-11-17, 08:44 PM
"The last communication that I received from Dr. Honn was an email informing me that he had finished his latest schematic and would send it along at his earliest convenience. That was two weeks ago and he has not replied to my emails, phone calls, or relays since. I have been getting his various answering machines, but they all say that he is busy at the moment and will return my calls as soon as he is able. While two weeks is not long to be incommunicado, especially if he got into a new project, he missed his renewal deadline with the Navigators and his subscription will soon run out. I've sent him messages reminding him of the importance of current subscriptions, but it might have more impact if you remind him face-to-face."

TheNabster
2011-11-18, 08:54 AM
"Sae whit, thes is jist a hoose caa?" Said a very gruff and very scottish sounding grump slumped in his chair, nursing his drink, and looking like he just woke up. He sat himself up with a grunt and took a swig from his glass, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "We coods dae 'at onie time 'en, whaur does he bide?"

(The convinience of web thingies that allow me to 'transilate' phrases into Glaswegian. If there is some trouble understanding him let me know.)

canjowolf
2011-11-18, 07:36 PM
"Dr. Honn has several houses, which is part of the difficulty of locating him. As long as I have known him he has spent most of his time in his workshop in Schenectady, but he also has a house up on the hill on Albany Street, near the Schenectady government district. He stays there sometimes. He also owns an apartment building down in Yonkers on Hamilton Ave, but I haven't heard of him going there in years. I would recommend looking for him at his workshop first, but if the guards won't let you in then try his house and see what you can find there. One of my colleagues already tried to go to his factory and talk to him, but Paulie could not get past the gaurds and he refused to 'ransack the good doctor's house, just to find a list of pass codes'. Still, if you could get him to give you the documents on the airship that he owes me that would be great too".

TheNabster
2011-11-18, 08:00 PM
"An' if we hae puckle 'problems' gettin' tae th' guid doctur, ur wi' his goons, dae we hae permission tae use 'firm reasonin' techniques' oan 'em?" People who have worked with Gregory have learnt that 'firm reasoning techniques' translates into 'knock th' son ay a huir's teeth in until he cries uncle'.

Indalecio
2011-11-18, 09:49 PM
"Does Dr. Honn have any enemies? I mean, I'm sure he probably has some, but are there any that are recent and significant?"

Arty snatches up a biscuit from a plate to go with his tea.

Lilithgow
2011-11-19, 01:01 PM
Sorry, wait, can we go back a step. Guards. I don't suppose Paulie...hrm...Paulie, could I have a surname on that? Is Paulie a given name? I digress. Honn's guards. Do we have descriptions on these guards? Numbers, dates of birth, that sort of thing.

The poor notebook is being devoured at a great speed, and Jiles shows no sign of stopping. His eyes flick around the room, and as he see's Arthur reach to the table, quickly jots down the biscuits that are on offer, and the gentleman's selection.

canjowolf
2011-11-19, 08:45 PM
First Sir Oswald gives Gregory an incredulous look saying "You aren't talking about assaulting Dr. Honn's guards and beholden are you? I don't think that he will react well to that if he finds out. On the other hand, I have been looking to examine that cute little death ray that he gave to his chief security officer. I certainly can't condone murder though, if that's what you're about".

Looking at Arthur he continues "He probably has a lot of enemies. He served with distinction in the battles against Mars, and was something of a hero on our side. I'm sure that the Martian Overseers would love to pay him back if they got a change, but I don't think that they have the spines to do anything unless a great opportunity presents its self. Dr. Honn is not the only genius to go missing since Harath came up to our area though, and most great geniuses disappear from time to time when they get caught up with their latest project. I just want you to go check on him and make sure that he is alright. It would be nice if you could get those airship plans too".

Turning his head to give attention to Jiles, and feeling a little dizzy after all of this spinning about, Sir Oswald finishes "Paulie? You might know him better as Professor Paul Galoppini, also know as Professor Protector for his high-tech energy shields. He works down in the city, but we've both known Dr. Honn for a long time and wanted to make sure that nothing terrible happened to him.

I'm not sure exactly how many guards Frank has nowadays, but it's probably somewhere around two dozen, with about a quarter of them on duty at any time. His chief security officer, Emily Watts, is one of his beholden and uses his artifacts of katastrofi when on duty. I think that Paulie may have set her up with some armor a while back too. I'm not sure if she still wears it. Paulie was not very good at making comfortable stuff back then, and we all know how tough it can be to keep a modern wonder under control for a long periods of time. I imagine that Frank pays them over the table, so there should be some way to get that kind of information out of a computer or something. I'm not really that well versed in that sort of thing. Computers have grown up so fast you see".

TheNabster
2011-11-19, 09:11 PM
"Mudder? Och ay coorse nae! Ah meant as in if they lat at us at aw. Self-defence an' 'at " He sat himself up in the chair. It was true, Gregory wasn't as 'kill happy' as some other Grimm's were when it comes to confilct. Now, a good scrap on the other hand, he was all for that.

Indalecio
2011-11-19, 11:03 PM
Artie turns to the other members of his collaborative

"I wonder if it would be advantageous to contact Professor Galoppini and see if he can provide any insight or assistance in locating the whereabout of Dr. Honn." He then turns to Sir Oswald. "Where would be a good place to go about locating him?

Lilithgow
2011-11-20, 04:16 PM
"...Emily...Watts. Right, that's down. I would agree with you Arthur Hammond, we should contact Professor Galoppini on this matter. Following our investigations there, I would suggest that we investigate this laboratory itself. I could carry out a line of questioning there, if that would be useful."

For those so inclined as to observe small details, they would notice a glint of excitement has sparked in the thin man's eyes.

canjowolf
2011-11-20, 08:02 PM
Artie turns to the other members of his collaborative

"I wonder if it would be advantageous to contact Professor Galoppini and see if he can provide any insight or assistance in locating the whereabout of Dr. Honn." He then turns to Sir Oswald. "Where would be a good place to go about locating him?

Sir Oswald responds "I'll have my secretary retrieve his phone number, email address, and the address of his workshop and then I'll email them to you some time tomorrow. I can include a picture too if you'd like".

OOC: He already has email addresses and phone numbers to contact all of you.

Indalecio
2011-11-21, 10:16 AM
"A picture would be great."

canjowolf
2011-11-21, 08:25 PM
Normal Mode:

http://media.salon.com/2009/03/if_im_blaspheming_it_means_im_doing_my_job-360x307.jpg

War Form:

http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/LexLuthor.jpg

Indalecio
2011-11-21, 10:04 PM
"I'm assuming thats one of his beholden that modeling his armor in the second picture."

Arty finishes up his tea.

"I suppose if there's nothing further, we'll take I'll our leave.

He glances around to the rest of the colloraborative.

"Unless there's something else on the agenda, we'll head over to Professor's

ocel
2011-11-23, 07:42 PM
Rather than exchanging formalities & inquiries with Garret Oswald, Quin left him to satisfy his colleagues curiosity while he tended to himself .

canjowolf
2011-11-25, 07:07 AM
OOC: Well, I was waiting for someone to second the idea of visiting Professor Protection, but the show must go on.

Professor Galoppini is initially hesitant to set aside time to meet with you, but once he hears that it is about Dr. Honn he pens you in for the next day.

His laboratory is a streamlined skyscraper of glass, plaster, and plastic filled with sweeping curves and shining chrome. His secretary ushers you up into a conference room where Prof. Galoppini is sitting at the head of a long cherry boardroom table in an expensive silk business suit.

"Greetings" he says, "Welcome to my workshop. I hear that you need some information to help you find Dr. Honn. Ask away and I'll see what I can do".

Indalecio
2011-11-25, 09:13 PM
"Ah yes. It seems that Dr. Honn has gone incommunicado for the past month and Sir Oswald has asked that we look it. He mentioned your name as someone who has also done the same, and we were wondering if we could have your general assistance as well. What was the last time you had heard anything from Dr. Honn? Or possibly do you have ideas or suggestions as to potential leads?"

Lilithgow
2011-11-26, 08:31 AM
Jiles rudely butts into the conversation, not looking up from his notebook, frantically noting the room number, and dimensions of the room as best he can.
"And where did you purchase this table."

canjowolf
2011-11-26, 06:51 PM
Professor Galoppini gives a look of feigned surprise and says "What? This old thing? My secretary picked it up somewhere. It does bring the room together though, doesn't it?

Dr. Honn is a good friend of mine. Well, he was anyway. He's been kinda distant for the past year or so. He always did have a tendency of getting caught up in his work though. I haven't received any word from him in a few weeks. Actually it was right after that damnable anti-intellectual showed up that quite a few of my old friends went into hiding. I tried to contact him in his lab, but his guards wouldn't let me in. They said that the good doctor had put the lab on full alert and no one was to be let in without his express permission.

I doubt that anything serious has happened to him. Doc Honn always had an ace up his sleeve. Usually an explosive one at that. He's probably just caught up in some latest invention. I am highly curious as to what it is. He hadn't said anything to me about a new idea, but you know how it is when inspiration strikes. If you do go to Dr. Honn's laboratory watch out for the spiders. They can be nasty if you don't know the password, which I don't by the way. Dr. Honn changes it from time to time".

Indalecio
2011-11-26, 09:37 PM
"When you say anti-intellectual, I'm assuming you mean Charles Herath? Sir Oswald mentioned him as well."

Lilithgow
2011-11-27, 06:56 AM
"Charles Herath again. He seems to have been most persistent in his tasks, and has had some success in them. I don't suppose I could have a list of these other friends who have gone into hiding?"

Concentrating hard, Jiles starts to sketch out the name 'Charles Herath' and drawing lines out from it to other names.

Jiles is going to draw his Geist Scanner, and attempt to piggyback onto the internet and start a set of searches on Charles Herath.

canjowolf
2011-11-27, 10:05 PM
Professor Galoppini gives a small shrug and says "I don't know what his name is. He smells like a dirty clock stopper to me though. I've seen a few before. They can get nasty if you don't do anything about them. I know a few other geniuses that have dropped off the map. Why do you want a list?".

Lilithglow

You get a few hits, but nothing that sounds like a clockstopper or an especially anti-intellectual individual. Then again, if he is totally anti-technology then he isn't likely to start a facebook page saying how evil computers are.

ocel
2011-11-27, 10:34 PM
Unsure whether to be amused or insulted by how iberally Galoppini used the word "dirty" especially in-front of those whom rarely, if ever abided to any code of mental hygiene. Of course this train of thought would be derailed when the subject returned to the absence of his colleagues, of which he replied in jest: "Because Ned & his fellow Luddites may have payed them a visit..."

Indalecio
2011-11-27, 11:08 PM
"Sir Oswald mentioned it, and then you brought it up as well. There may be a connection. If it isn't too much trouble, and you think it'd be helpful, a list of the disappearing Genii would be much appreciated.

On a slightly different matter, we plan on visiting Dr. Honn's chief of security, Emily Watts. Would you have any suggestions regarding that? Contact info. Ways to get on her sweet, rather than her sour side?

canjowolf
2011-11-28, 07:11 PM
Professor Galoppini looks slightly concerned before removing visible emotions from his face and saying "It's talk like that that creates manes for us to fight. I am not going to draft a list of names and addresses of my close friends and allies for you to go investigate into their personal lives. Unlike some people, I respect a person's right to privacy. If they would like to hide in this time of crisis then I am willing to let them. It's not like we don't have ways of defending ourselves or calling for help. Besides, I found all of the missing people that I took the time to look for who did not order their beholden to keep me out of their affairs. I am sure that most of our missing colleagues are just putting their heads in the sand and hiding from the recent outrage, as we have always done when our science offends and we are unwilling to run.

Emily I can help you with though. I have not spent much time with her in the past few years, but she was always an avid coffee drinker, loved mornings, had a bit of a sweet tooth, and loved firearms. She is very dutiful and as far as I can tell she has been very loyal to Dr. Honn's wishes ever since they met. If you go to his lab when she is on duty and ask to speak with her she will probably come talk to you. Try not to swear around her, as it riles her up. Don't spike her coffee eigther".

Indalecio
2011-11-29, 11:40 AM
"My apologies about the list suggestion, then."

"I don't believe there's anything then."

He looks to the rest of the collaborative.

"If so, then I thank you for your time, Professor Galoppini.

He gives a short bow.

Lilithgow
2011-11-29, 12:38 PM
Looking slightly aghast, Jiles bites his tongue.
"Of course. Thank you for your help."

He quickly turns and heads to leave the room.

canjowolf
2011-11-29, 07:54 PM
Proffessor Galoppini raises a hand and says "Of course. If find yourselves in grave danger then let me know and I'll try to build you something appropriate to your situation to help you through it".

Indalecio
2011-11-30, 08:26 PM
Arthur calls Emily on his cellphone.

"Hello. Emily Watts? My name is Arthur Hammond. My friends and I would like to talk to you concerning your employer. If it would be possible to meet with you, perhaps at a coffee shop somewhere. Your choice of location."

Not sure if I'm doing it right. I'm assuming this would be Manipulation + Persuasion. I'm also burning a point of WP.

[roll0]

for 10s rolls

[roll1]
EDIT:Sweet. 4 successes.

Lilithgow
2011-12-01, 05:48 PM
As the group leaves the board room, Jiles moves away from Arthur as he takes his call. He irritably starts to mutter to the others.

"Right to Privacy he says? What a ridiculous thing to say. I'm not trying to sign them up to some damn service or solicit them! This is an investigation, and I'm just trying to do it properly."

In many regards, the grown man's tone comes of as a child denied another sweet.

canjowolf
2011-12-01, 09:00 PM
Emily answers "Normally I wouldn't do this, but I'll tell you what. Meet me at Sally's in Scotia at 1300 eastern standard and you can ask me your questions".

If you do go to the meeting and meet with Sally then she will greet you and ask what your interest is in her employer and why you decided to ask her to a coffee house to discuss it.

Indalecio
2011-12-01, 09:19 PM
Arthur walks back to the group.

"We've got a date with Emily. She'd like to meet us at a place called Sally's in Scotia.

OOC:

What time is it now? I'm assuming Professor Galoppini's place is in Manhattan, so I'm assuming we're going to need to hustle.

canjowolf
2011-12-01, 09:30 PM
Late afternoon, so the meeting would be the next day.

Lilithgow
2011-12-02, 08:02 AM
"Well, that's good. I believe we should formulate some sort of plan back at the lab. I'm sure we all have work to be getting on with in any case."

With that, Jiles turns and moves to leave the gleaming tower of Professor Galoppini.

"You said, 'Sally's' in Scotia, didn't you?" he asks over his shoulder, already typing the name into his hungry little scanner.

Indalecio
2011-12-02, 10:39 AM
"You said, 'Sally's' in Scotia, didn't you?" he asks over his shoulder, already typing the name into his hungry little scanner.

"Yes, at 1300 tomorrow. Do you have anything in mind as regards a backup plan?

Lilithgow
2011-12-02, 02:57 PM
"I wouldn't say back-up plan yet. I'd need more blueprints before I get to that stage. But that doesn't mean I can't look into the location and any significance it might have to the principle. Emotional, historical, strategic...it could even be a..no, that seems unlikely..."

The man seems to trail off into thought for a moment.

"Sorry, no. I'll conduct more thorough investigations into it here - I don't like searching on another network like this. In any case, I don't believe we should all go. She's a security specialist. They tend to dislike being too outnumbered. We should keep it a ratio of people she believes she could deal with should it come to it. I would say 2 of us. Or one, if McIntyre goes along.

Plus, there's a whole wealth of other leads that need looking into. For one, all of our contacts share a common bond with their Invasion reference - that may be significant. Then there's Herath himself. Quick searches don't turn up anything in particular, but it's rare that people such as would cause a problem for such powerful individuals would be brazen enough to just put themselves online.

I would suggest that someone track down some less prestigious enlightened who find themselves being under attack by Herath, and see if they're not more liberal with information concerning him. Alternatively, we could look into some of Herath's followers, but I would suggest we wait a little for that particular line of investigation.

Indalecio
2011-12-02, 07:28 PM
"So what you're suggesting is that we split into two groups tomorrow? Well Emily will be expecting me, so that necessitates that I be there.

He turns to Jiles, Gilligan and Gregory.

"Any preferences on groups? Or any other suggestions?"

Lilithgow
2011-12-03, 07:42 AM
"Well, I'm partial to talking to Miss Watts - I have a number of questions that I'd like to ask her. Though if any of our companions feel like that they would be better served attending or have plans to the contrary, I'm open to ideas."

Indalecio
2011-12-05, 10:00 PM
"It may be preferrable to have some backup along. Perhaps we shouldn't split into groups.

"As to your earlier suggestion. We could do an investigation on Charles Herath and the missing genii when we get back to the lab.

TheNabster
2011-12-06, 12:58 PM
"Ah, ok, fa shoods Ah gang wi' 'en?" Said Gregory who does still exist but didn't know what to contribute to the discussion really

Lilithgow
2011-12-07, 04:35 PM
"Well, let's get moving then. I don't like being 'on grid' for too long. Dangerous for people of our condition."

ocel
2011-12-07, 07:34 PM
"Agreed there is a strength in numbers that we can not afford to deprive ourselves of now or later.

canjowolf
2011-12-07, 09:14 PM
As the sun sets you all return to your lab, ready to get to work on your latest project.

Indalecio
2011-12-07, 11:59 PM
"Well we could start with an investigation of Charles Herath. Jiles, I believe you're more skilled in this area, but I believe I could help out."

Arthur pulls out his laptop and begins to search for information.

Wits(2) + Investigation(2)

[roll0]

for 10s rolls

[roll1]

EDIT:Sweet. Add 3 dice to your investigation roll.

Lilithgow
2011-12-08, 06:38 AM
As Arthur gives permission for the investigation to begin, Jiles' face lights up, before his focus narrowing. He holds himself up slightly higher, straightening his back and pulling out several small gadgets. He strides over to a relatively empty table, and grabs a large piece of graph paper and several markers.

"Well, if we're going to search into Hearth, Charles, I'm going to need facts before I can find anything further. Hammond, I want everything on legal record about him. Dates of birth, blood groups, social security numbers.
Quin, find any educational records he has.
McIntyre, criminal records."

The paper already has the beginnings of a map being drawn on it. Herath (Australian Root), Charles (French Form of Latin "Carolous") is emblazoned on the top. Dotted around the paper, as yet unconnected but eagerly waiting are similar titles for Dr Honn, Emily Watt, Professor Galoppini, Garret Oswald and all of the Collective.

"This should do for a first draft. May need more paper." says the man as he efficiently starts writing down a worrying number of personal details about himself under his own title. Should suffice for now. Beginning Secondary Searches.

Rolls for Investigation (2), Wits (3) and Assistance from Arthur (3)
[roll0]

"Cross-referencing with tertiary searches. Refining parameters, culling false leads."

Rerolls for 10s.
[roll1]

canjowolf
2011-12-10, 12:03 AM
The combined search reveals several Charles Heraths, but without a better description than a name it is hard to find out which is the one that they are looking for. The best that you could find was his name on several event permits where he is listed or billed as a speaker. He has somehow managed to stay out of the newspapers and off of television. Frankly, you aren't sure how the genius community at large has decided that he is behind the recent outrage against science lately. You did find several reports of lab break-ins during your search, some of known members of the peerage, but these reports attributed the attacks to radical groups and Herath's name is never mentioned.

Indalecio
2011-12-10, 01:24 AM
to canjo wolf
Are there any future speaking engagements listed for Charles Herath?

"I suppose thats well to be expected. I wonder if there's any future speaking engagements for Mr. Herath. We might want to see him more up close at some point."

Arthur scans the lists of speaking engagements, both past and future.

"I wonder how the Peerage came to the conclusion that this the guy who's behind everything, which I'm not saying he's not. I'm just curious as to how they reached the conclusion, when there seems to be so little evidence available to us. We may want to talk to Sir Oswald again at some point as well."

He pauses and turns to Jiles again. "Want to start investigating the missing genii?

Wits + Investigation
Once again contributing success to Jiles rolls'

[roll0]

for 10s rolls

[roll1]

EDIT:Eh 1 success. Better than nothing.

Lilithgow
2011-12-10, 06:26 AM
"Common data infers that Herath is not involved in recent events. Complete lack of presence in these events combined with testimonial leads to high probability of his concealing his actions. Most likely, physical investigation would supply most valuable data.

Switching topics to actions of Herath, Charles. Investigating missing enlightened community members. Possible abandoned labs, large riots, real estate that has recently become available and reports that could be orphans."

The thin man gets to work. He grabs the initial piece of paper and rolls it into a tight roll, and then starts the process over on new pieces of the soon-to-be scrawled on graph paper.

Wits 3, Investigation 2, Assistance 1 -
[roll0]
Rerolls for 10s
[roll1]

canjowolf
2011-12-10, 12:30 PM
A list of recently missing and deceased members of the peerage. This list is not inclusive, but it does have a good selection of cases.

Dr. Honn - Automata and Weapons expert. No contact for approximately one month. Very limited contact for the two weeks before that. Subscription in danger of expiring. Approximately one dozen other geniuses follow a similar model.

Dr. Schneider - Skafoi specialist, rumored to have developed a time travel device. No contact for about 2 months. Subscription expired. (Time travel devices are exceedingly rare, even for skafoi specialists. It is rumored that would be time travelers are disposed of before they would make their discovery by a group of time traveling assassins)

Dr. Yuon - Biological Automata specialist. No contact for the last 2 months. Subscription expired. About a three dozen cases similar to that of Dr. Yuon exist with geniuses of varying specialties.

Miss Magnificent - Mind Control specialist. Assassinated by moon nazis two and a half months ago despite having a mobile cloaked base of operations.

Mister William "Ironhand" Nail - Biological Automata specialist. Killed by left-wing terrorists two months ago who said that his attempts to bio-engineer away the fear response in rats and rabbits using a retrovirus was a crime against nature. He was also the creator of split bodied chickens that produced double the eggs and unstable potatoes that could be used as low powered hand grenades. He was not very active in the Peerage.

Professor Chaos - Epikrato and Katastrophi specialist. Went missing over a year ago with his last email saying "The **** is getting close now. It is only a matter of time before I am discovered". Never had a subscription.

Professor Grimdark - Worked on Skafoi, Prostasia, and Katastrophi to build combat vehicles. No word for two months. Subscription expired.

Professor Plum - Biological Automata specialist - Disappeared a month and a half ago after his lab was destroyed by animal activists objecting to his attempts to cure cancer in rats. Biological Automata specialists Derrik, Nobiles, Fronz, and Hofstra also had their labs attacked and destroyed within the last three months, but reestablished contact with the peerage.

Cara Olmstead - Prostasia specialist in mental shielding - Her lab was destroyed by unidentified arsonists around the same time as the other ransackings, and has since reestablished contact with the peerage.

Total Peerage Members in North America: 583
Total Vanished or Killed in the last 3 months: 52, mostly in the American North East and the Quebec regions.
Average Genius Death Rate in N.A. : 3.62/month, many due to lab accidents or inadvisable interactions with manes in their native habitats. Obituaries are part of many monthly subscriptions.

Lilithgow
2011-12-10, 03:58 PM
Jiles steps back from the table, and lays down his 'Geist' scanner. A mass of pens lay on the ground, discarded when they lay empty.

"That should do for now. I'll copy this out for everyone. I...I think I need to sit down for a bit."

Picking the mass of crossing lines and notes on various genii, Jiles takes picks up the huge piece of paper and carefully hangs it on a wall. He takes three careful steps backwards and sits down.

"I'm going to spend sometime conceptualising this, if that's ok."

His face is now that of an excited child. He silently mouthes words as he starts to commit the data to memory.

Indalecio
2011-12-10, 07:07 PM
Arthur removes the cage cover from the birdcage. Lucas hops out.

"Have fun. Just don't party too hard. I'll need you a little early tomorrow morning."

Lucas responds. "I won't.

Lucas soars off into the evening twilight to hunt.

"If not, I'm going to do some research and then turn in."

Arthur pulls up his laptop and begins reading up on Apocalypsi.

canjowolf
2011-12-12, 11:31 PM
While some members of the group rest and others stay up all night on their research, the sun slowly rises on their communal workshop, bringing with it the promise of the new day.

Is there anything else that you need to do before the meeting?

Lilithgow
2011-12-13, 06:09 AM
The new day rolls around, and with it Jiles raises early at 6:45 AM. He is quick to rise, and gets dressed in short order. By 7:00 he leaves for his morning run.

Every morning, Jiles goes for a two km run, stopping off a a local market to get a fresh piece of fruit which he eats in the market. He sits down in a local park and watches other people on their morning runs.

"Hmm. Oranges are popular today. Perhaps the price of apples have gone up? Seems a unlikely given the season."
His face is not that of the worrying concentration from the night before - more sort of a casual interest.
"People seem to be switching to their winter clothes. Understandable. Weather forecast predicted a few more warm days. General lack of belief in the claim."

After half an hour of collecting his thoughts on a number of largely inconsequential topics, Jiles rises and starts to head back to the collaborative's lab.

"Ah, I almost forgot. Coffee Chocolates."
A small device is produced, and search for a local chocolatier is made in short order. Jiles jogs towards the direction he divined, and enters the small store, intent on purchasing a modest but fine collection of coffee chocolates.

"Good Morning! Nice day, isn't it? Turning a bit colder than the forecast said it would though!"

OOC - If you're happy to not go through purchasing some chocolates, Jiles will return to the lab, and I can edit this post to reflect that.
If he buys the chocolates...l
"Oh, they look delicious! Thank you so much. Have a great day!"
With that, Dr Martin turns and leaves the small shop, and starts his run back to the lab. Upon his arrival, he'll quickly greet anyone else that's awake, go to his room, shower, change, and then sit down while reading everything he can discover on Miss Emily Watts. The concentration returns to his face, as he sets about preparing for the day's meeting.

Indalecio
2011-12-13, 10:19 AM
Arthur gets up, showers and gets dressed. He see that Lucas has returned and let himself in.

"How was your night?

"Good. Eat many mice."

"I'm going to need you a little later today, around noon. Alright?"

"Ok!"

Arthur hooks up a USB cable and starts backing up Lucas' memories of the night before. After Lucas hops into his cage, he makes a piece of toast and some coffee and starts going over the data from Lucas' memories, comparing it to earlier and data and charting progress.

Probably best to skip the chocolate. She doesn't know and probably doesn't trust us. I'm thinking the best bet would be to be honest with her and not making it look like we're overtly manipulating her.

Lilithgow
2011-12-14, 11:38 AM
After some time, Jiles emerges from his room, having changed from the tracksuit he was wearing into a simple shirt and jeans combination that he had defined as being 'non-threatening'.

"Good Morning, Dr Hammond! How are you this morning? All ready for our rendezvous today? I've got directions all ready, as well as some coffee chocolates."

Indalecio
2011-12-14, 09:00 PM
Arthur sighs.

"Old bones are old. Remind me one of these days to learn some Exelixi. I hear it does wonders for your health."

"Still, I suppose I'm as good as any. I wonder how the others are doing."

He hunts down the other member of the collaborative present.

"Gregory. Are you ready to rock and roll?"

EDIT: Modified after ocel's post, since he's not present at the moment.

TheNabster
2011-12-15, 04:30 PM
"Zzzzzz, eh wha? Och reit ur we gonnae noo? shoods Ah brin' mah things ur nae?"

Gregory pulled himself out of the chair he was sat in, groggily picking himself up and dusting himself down before grabbing the Electrostabber next to him

"Guid morn." He mumbled

Indalecio
2011-12-15, 06:18 PM
"Sure. Bring your stuff. I don't think we'll have any difficulties, but that doesn't mean we won't."

Lilithgow
2011-12-15, 07:23 PM
"Good morning, Mr McIntyre. I've been meaning to ask you, where is exactly do you hail from? You have a most colourful accent."

TheNabster
2011-12-16, 08:41 AM
"Sure. Bring your stuff. I don't think we'll have any difficulties, but that doesn't mean we won't."

He slung his sack of bricks over his shoulder. "Ah willnae brin' th' body armur 'en if we arenae expectin' onie large scraps, but better safe th' sorry."

"Good morning, Mr McIntyre. I've been meaning to ask you, where is exactly do you hail from? You have a most colourful accent."

"Wa Ah hail frae th' tropical shores ay sunny Glasgee. Brammer place if ye bide awa' frae... weel, most ay it" He picked up the thunderball and placed it in the bag with the other things. For now the Sword and throwing weapons will do, if need be he could come back later and pick up the armor

ocel
2011-12-16, 12:12 PM
Quin's motivations for leaving them to their-own devices last night was so he could get resume his shift at his hospital, transferring those needing immediate medical attention to whom would be able to remedy their current ailments. When they had no further need of him, he returned where he would salvage a few hours of rest before taking his cycle out for another leisurely stroll around town. The reasoning behind this course action was to memorize the allegorical circulation of this city's traffic. Any landmark learned during the course of this brief trip was one more mnemonic to aid him navigate the streets of NY. Noticing the flow of traffic resembled cholesterol urged him to ignore the grim implications of this line of thought in favor of the results he craved. Content with what knowledge he accumulated during his travels he parked nearby & pulled out his cell from his pocket to contact Gregory McIntyre.

TheNabster
2011-12-18, 12:28 PM
He picked up his old looking phone

"Aye?"

ocel
2011-12-19, 10:28 AM
He picked up his old looking phone

"Aye?"

"Scouted most of the roads leading to where we'll meet our contact, & will be in position in-case she'll need an evac, but I'll need everyone else, except our representative to cover the other entry points, preferably one in each corner. If you can Macgyver a barrier or two quickly enough we might lessen the possibility of an ambush by 25%, through that percentage will likely diminish if he shows up."

TheNabster
2011-12-19, 02:28 PM
"Scouted most of the roads leading to where we'll meet our contact, & will be in position in-case she'll need an evac, but I'll need you, everyone else, except our representative to cover the other entry points, preferably one in each corner. If you can Macgyver a barrier or two quickly enough we might lessen the possibility of an ambush by 25%, through that percentage will likely diminish if he shows up."

"Alrecht. i'll teel th' others tae keep watch when we gie thaur"

ocel
2011-12-19, 03:32 PM
"Alrecht. i'll teel th' others tae keep watch when we gie thaur"
"The sooner the better, I'll call you again if I come into contact with any more complications."

TheNabster
2011-12-19, 06:22 PM
"The sooner the better, I'll call you again if I come into contact with any more complications."

"I'll make sure they ken, tak' caur noo. " He hung up the phone

Indalecio
2011-12-19, 06:26 PM
"Was that Quin?"

TheNabster
2011-12-20, 05:52 AM
"Was that Quin?"

"Aye. He wanted us when we gang tae meit uir bloke, ur gal, tae cowre th' entry points whilst we gab tae 'er, erect a barricade, gie th' heel it if we gie trooble. Th' usual"

He pulled a hammer out of his pocket and looked at it. "Ah micht be able tae handle th' barricade by myself but it ne'er hurts tae hae a wee bit o' help."

ocel
2011-12-20, 12:50 PM
At the sound of the disconnected tone, Quin spent the remainder reviewing roads he would inevitably travel.

Indalecio
2011-12-23, 03:05 PM
"Ready to go? I want to get there a little early. We could take a Hammond-mobile.*"

*Said Hammond-mobile being a 1996 Honda Civic, which runs, but not well.

canjowolf
2011-12-26, 08:19 AM
Emily is waiting for you in the small mall cafe, sipping on a cup of coffee. She looks tired, and her light make-up does not completely hide the bags under her eyes. She is wearing a simple white blouse with black pants and does not appear to be armed. When you arrive she give you a short wave, but continues sipping on her coffee and appears to be waiting for you.

If you approach

Emily extends her hand for a handshake and says "Hi, I'm Emily Watts" and waits for you to introduce yourselves. After that she asks "So, I'm sure that you called me out for a reason. What is it that you need to know about my boss?".

Indalecio
2011-12-26, 11:26 AM
Arthur approaches and takes the offered hand and shakes firmly but gently.

"I'm Arthur Hammond."

Depending on whether or not the rest of the colloraborative, I introduce them as well.

"Maybe I'm betraying my ignorance here, but I'm assuming we're both talking about Dr. Honn. I and my friends have been asked to look into the disappearance of Dr. Honn. It is well understood that an Inspired may go under the radar for a while, but a couple of friends of his are worried about him and his subscription to the Navigators is about to run out.

Trying to make an Empathy check.

Is it Empathy + Manipulation?
Empathy + Composure

Well, either way its a 4 dice pool.

[roll0]

for 10s rolls

[roll1]

EDIT: Bah, no successes. Wish Roll 0 was swapped with Roll 1. Pity

TheNabster
2011-12-27, 07:30 PM
Gregory will be busy watching one of the other entrances.

canjowolf
2011-12-27, 09:31 PM
Arthur approaches and takes the offered hand and shakes firmly but gently.

"I'm Arthur Hammond."

Depending on whether or not the rest of the colloraborative, I introduce them as well.

"Maybe I'm betraying my ignorance here, but I'm assuming we're both talking about Dr. Honn. I and my friends have been asked to look into the disappearance of Dr. Honn. It is well understood that an Inspired may go under the radar for a while, but a couple of friends of his are worried about him and his subscription to the Navigators is about to run out.

"I have not heard from him lately either, but this would not be the first time that Dr. Honn has retreated from the world. In my experience it has always preceded something bad for the community though, otherwise he would have at least let me know that he'd be away for a while. Have you talked to Mr. Galoppini about this? He and Dr. Honn are very close and if it had something to do with the manes then Dr. Honn may have told Mr. Galoppini about it and decided that it was not worth bothering me with. No one told me about any subscription running out. Is there someone that I need to talk to about having it renewed? He must have forgotten to give me the information to pay that bill".

@ ocel - Is Quin looking for anything in particular or just waiting for something to jump out at him?

@ TheNabster - The cafe has four entrances into the main room. There is the front door, the men's bathroom door, the women's bathroom door, and another door that appears to lead to a kitchen of some kind. The cafe is one section of a suburban strip mall which is constructed like many such strip malls. It has front doors to all of the shops, and a back door to access the maintenance corridor in the back that connects all of the shops. Is there a particular entrance that you would like Gregory to watch in particular?

ocel
2011-12-27, 09:39 PM
He's on patrol/lookout for anyone suspicious, to everyone-else he's just driving in circles.

Indalecio
2011-12-27, 10:13 PM
"I have not heard from him lately either, but this would not be the first time that Dr. Honn has retreated from the world. In my experience it has always preceded something bad for the community though, otherwise he would have at least let me know that he'd be away for a while. Have you talked to Mr. Galoppini about this? He and Dr. Honn are very close and if it had something to do with the manes then Dr. Honn may have told Mr. Galoppini about it and decided that it was not worth bothering me with. No one told me about any subscription running out. Is there someone that I need to talk to about having it renewed? He must have forgotten to give me the information to pay that bill".

"I don't believe its a matter of monetary payment, but rather one of mania payment. This was related to me by Sir Oswald, so it might be possible to work out some arrangement to have that taken care of.

I have visited Professor Galoppini, but he didn't seem to know either about Dr. Honn's whereabouts. He did mention that he seemed a little distant, and that he had visited previously, but couldn't get past the guards at that time. He didn't mention anything about manes at the time though. Please, praytell whats this about manes?"

To canjowolf
What does Emily look like? Either a verbal or picture description.

EDIT:I'm also assuming she's Beholden, but I'm not sure whether it was stated, but I should be able to tell just by looking at her.

TheNabster
2011-12-28, 09:46 PM
Ocel will have the front door covered I would think. I am gonna watch the entrance from the kitchen

canjowolf
2011-12-28, 09:54 PM
Emily appears to be a little confused by Arthur's comment, but just says "Yes, Dr. Honn does not like other people to be in his workshop while he is away. He and Mr. Galoppini have had a long career together combating the manes that threaten our way of life, such as the throgs and the goose steppers. I was never able to go on those trips, since someone had to keep the facilities safe, so I don't know much about it".

Quin has not yet noticed anything suspicious. However, there is a sheriff in a gas station parking lot about a mile down the road that has been sitting there for as long as Quin has been making his rounds.

Emily looks kind of like this, but with blue eyes and about 5 or 10 years older. She is also a little more muscular, but does not look like a body builder. She does not appear to be armed.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/geotrac/geotrac0710/geotrac071000062/1831371-attractive-blonde-woman-in-white-blouse-and-black-pants-standing-on-white-holding-up-to-fingers-to-s.jpg

ocel
2011-12-28, 10:11 PM
Quin gave an approving nod to the nearest authority figure, before returning to Sally's, while making sure not to break the local speed-limit. If he's unheeded by him or anyone else, he'll search for any parking-lots near Sally's. If there are none, he'll return to the previously mentioned gas station, & give him his identification, inform him of his prior service to the local community as a paramedic, & willing to do more if the authorities need him.

Indalecio
2011-12-28, 11:22 PM
Emily appears to be a little confused by Arthur's comment, but just says "Yes, Dr. Honn does not like other people to be in his workshop while he is away. He and Mr. Galoppini have had a long career together combating the manes that threaten our way of life, such as the throgs and the goose steppers. I was never able to go on those trips, since someone had to keep the facilities safe, so I don't know much about it".

"I've heard of throgs. They're Martians, correct? I'm not familiar with goose steppers, though. Aside from that, did Dr. Honn have recent dealing with those particular manes, or any other? Did it seem that he had anything in particular weighing on his mind.

I apologize if it seems like I'm prying, but if there's anything you can think of that may help."

Indalecio
2011-12-29, 11:10 AM
OOC:Should have done in my earlier post, but it didn't occur to me at the time. Going to see if there's anything wondrous about Emily. Does she have internal wonders, is she a mane, an automata, etc.

Wits + Inspiration + WP
[roll0]

fors 10s rolls

[roll1]

Edit: 1 success? Why are all my 10s rolls better than my main rolls. Oh well.

canjowolf
2011-12-29, 11:47 PM
"I've heard of throgs. They're Martians, correct? I'm not familiar with goose steppers, though. Aside from that, did Dr. Honn have recent dealing with those particular manes, or any other? Did it seem that he had anything in particular weighing on his mind.

I apologize if it seems like I'm prying, but if there's anything you can think of that may help."

"Yes" replies Emily "I have heard them called Martians. I don't know if he has had any dealings with any of them lately. He has been rather distant, but he gets like that a lot. I'm not sure what was occupying his mind".

She does not appear to be a mane but does have a wonder.

@ ocel - there are empty parking spaces at both the gas station and the place with the coffee shop. There do not appear to be any completely empty parking lots around. There are a large number of side roads nearby and there is roadside parking in Schenectady, which would only be a five minute drive. Scotia is a suburb right outside of Schenectady.

Indalecio
2011-12-30, 12:00 AM
"A few last questions. Have you heard of a man named Charles Herath? Sir Oswald mentioned him, and Professor Gallopini seems to have at least heard of him, and I'm trying to see if there's any connection."

Apart from that, and I do apologize if this seems a little personal, but you seem a bit frazzled. How have you been holding up since Dr. Honn's disappearance? If you feel I'm being to personal, feel free to disregard the question."

canjowolf
2012-01-01, 12:26 AM
"I don't think that I know any Charles Harath, but I'm much better with faces than I am with names. Do you have a picture. I think that it is a little early to be calling any manhunts. I worry about the Dr. like everyone else, but he always has been a very independent man".

Indalecio
2012-01-01, 12:49 AM
"Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of Mr. Herath himself.

As for Dr. Honn himself, what worries his friends is not the fact that he's possibly gone into hiding, but that it was so sudden and that he left no indication that he would do so. You mentioned in the past that when he's done so in the past, he'd always leave you instructions.

Would you happen to know of any way to verify whether Dr. Honn is well and not needing any assistance?"

ocel
2012-01-01, 01:19 AM
Seeing little reason to concern the authorities with his collaboration's own troubles, Quin resumed his search for an empty parking-lot at Sally's coffee shop; once he found one, he then took the proper precautions of avoiding the consequences of havoc by wrapping his motorcycle with his custom tarpaulin.

canjowolf
2012-01-02, 12:29 AM
Emily - "No, not always. He has left without saying anything and been gone for a long time before, but only when it was very important, like when he ran off with Mr. Galoppini to fight the throgs. I could get in touch with him if I really needed too, but Dr. Honn said not to do so unless it was an emergency".

@ Ocel - As Quin tucks his bike in he hears a police siren and the sheriff that was sitting at the gas station drives by at a rapid pace, heading west.

Indalecio
2012-01-02, 01:10 AM
"When you say "long time", can you give me some estimate of how long you mean? Are we talking a month? 6 months? A year."

To All:

According to the Genius pdf, stray Beholden roll Intelligence + Resolve every month to remain stable. I'd been under the impression it was every week. Come to think of it, would Emma even count as a 'stray', as she hasn't broken with her master? She might be okay for a far longer duration than I'd imagined.

I think it might be best if we retreat for now and report back to Sir Oswald. I'll leave my card with her as contact info in case she wants to get in touch with us.

Arthur thinks for a moment and pulls out his laptop. "One last thing.

Arthur is trying to bring up a recent picture of Sir Oswald. He's trying to see if the picture matches the person he met earlier, and if does, he's going to ask if Emma recognizes the person.

Indalecio
2012-01-02, 10:32 AM
OOC: Wits + Computer to pull up a picture of Garret Oswald

[roll0]

for 10s rolls

[roll1]

Edit: Nice, an exceptional success.

canjowolf
2012-01-04, 01:57 AM
"Dr. Honn left without notice and was gone for about three months when he ran off to fight the Lemurians when we were young. Never anything longer than that". When shown the picture she replies "Yes, I've met Mr. Oswald before. He is not allowed in the factory and we are not to meet with him face to face. Something about Mr. Oswald using his mind control powers on co-workers and colleagues. He's a bit of a pariah as far as I know".

OOC: Sally is not in danger of going over the edge just yet. You can still try to steal her if you want though.

Indalecio
2012-01-04, 10:18 AM
"Dr. Honn left without notice and was gone for about three months when he ran off to fight the Lemurians when we were young. Never anything longer than that". When shown the picture she replies "Yes, I've met Mr. Oswald before. He is not allowed in the factory and we are not to meet with him face to face. Something about Mr. Oswald using his mind control powers on co-workers and colleagues. He's a bit of a pariah as far as I know".

"The plot thickens it seems. Ms. Watts, I thank you for your time, as you've been more than generous with it. If you're need of any assistance, here's my card."

Arthur gives her his card, and gives a slight bow.

After finding Jiles, Quin and Gregory he says

"Gentlemen, I think we may have been had. Its entirely possible that Sir Garret isn't the paragon of virtue he presents himself as. It may be a good idea to return to Professor Gallopini to find out more. Aside from that, anything interesting happen while I was talking to Ms. Watts?"

Speaking of Jiles, did we lose Lilithgow?

ocel
2012-01-06, 06:42 PM
"Stopped by the local gas station & found some police activity, came back here because I didn't wish to trouble them with our own problems; through by the time I returned to the restaurant, I noticed more of them down this road, perhaps its a lead, even if its not I'll have to look into it later.

Indalecio
2012-01-06, 07:31 PM
"A little rubbernecking never hurt anyone. We should check out the police activity."

canjowolf
2012-01-07, 12:07 AM
As you are saying goodbye to Emily the sound of an air raid siren can be heard coming from Schenectady. This siren has come to be used to sound off for any emergency, and is generally used to alert people to a fire.

OOC: Sorry, I thought that I posted this already for some reason. Carry on.

Indalecio
2012-01-07, 02:38 PM
"Are we being raided?"

Arthur glances around to see what other people are doing.

He sees what other people are doing and sizes up the situation.

Resolve + Composure

[roll0]

for 10s rolls

[roll1]
Edit: Meh. 1 success

canjowolf
2012-01-08, 09:39 PM
The other people seem to be ignoring the air raid siren.