PDA

View Full Version : A new Class

Kilink
2011-11-15, 08:20 PM
In my current D&D Campaign my character just died and I'm looking for a new class to make.

The current game is strictly LOW MAGIC and Paladins and Clerics and pretty are extremely rare.

My character was a Crusader so I was kinda like the support character for the rest. We have a Rogue, Swordsage, Warblade and another Rogue.

Thing is, I'm not sure what class or build to take. They recommended making a ranger to add some ranged support but I don't really like what I'm reading about low damage on higher levels...

What do you guys recommend?

Black_Zawisza
2011-11-15, 08:28 PM
You could try the Wildshape Variant Ranger from http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger. A bit higher powered than the default one.

Emmerask
How about a bard?
Very good support, some modest battlefield control... though maybe if paladins are rare so are bards?

Malachei
A lot depends on the optimization level of the game. If your fellow players browse through online handbooks and all the books for the best feats and classes to dip, you might want to consult the same sources, and it may well lead you to reconsider ranger as the a choice for a ranged combatant and turn to fighter or cleric.

If not, a ranger can be a good, especially with spells from additional sources (Spell Compendium).

Most importantly, IMO, you should play what you feel most comfortable with and ask your DM to provide balance. Balance can be managed by introducing magic items, etc.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-15, 08:37 PM
A lot depends on the optimization level of the game. If your fellow players browse through online handbooks and all the books for the best feats and classes to dip, you might want to consult the same sources, and it may well lead you to reconsider ranger as the a choice for a ranged combatant and turn to fighter or cleric.

Fighter's worse at archery than ranger. :smallconfused:

Okay, let me correct that. With extreme focus on archery, the fighter can be better at that. But he can't actually see the target he's trying to hit from far away, since he has so few skill points he can't afford to put any in CC skills. He also doesn't have tracking, survival, or stealth skills. He also doesn't have any spells for increasing his speed, walking across water, or improving his archery.

Kilink
2011-11-15, 08:43 PM
We used to have a bard...but he died as well and I don't really like them that much.

Well they all recommended a Ranger mostly because we need a ranged damage dealer. Also in the current game we are looking for some woman so a ranger would help us track her. Still, Archery builds, from what I read the most common classes and prc are Ranger, OotB Initiate, Cragtop Archer, etc...I'm currently reading the Archer Handbook and Ultimate Archer Handbook but its kind of confusing...

dgnslyr
2011-11-15, 08:51 PM
Archery is really hard to pull off, because you end up plinking away for not much damage. It's almost like TWF, because you get many weak attacks. Just like with TWF, the way to make the damage competitive is to use sneak attack or skirmish damage. Also, there's the whole joke about how Track is railroading disguised as a class feature. If your DM wants you to find someone so badly, I have a feeling good RP would go farther than good dice rolls.

Bards are pretty awesome, though, and worth trying. They can do a bit of everything, and your pals will love you for inspire courage.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-15, 09:02 PM
why not a Swift Hunter build? I believe the general build is Scout 4/Ranger 16? ranged support, but with actual damage.

Wings of Peace
2011-11-15, 09:05 PM
Bloodstorm Blade.

Lateral
2011-11-15, 09:22 PM
why not a Swift Hunter build? I believe the general build is Scout 4/Ranger 16? ranged support, but with actual damage.
Nah, there are already two Rogues; Swift Hunter would kind of step on their toes as trap- and skill-monkeys.

You could always try a Soulbow; it takes two things that aren't very good and gives them a shot of pure awesome. Personally, I like them as WIS-based volley archers; mind arrows do damage based on Wisdom, so if you take Zen Archery and a couple of swordsage levels (for mobility enhancements and WIS to AC) you're fairly WIS-SAD. They're also one-handed, so you can dual-wield with them; you can get a pretty substantial amount of attacks per round, and the SAD and the fact that, if you take Lucky as your first enchantment, you get a free reroll on any attack means that your volleys will hit. I'm currently building a MWF Thri-Kreen soulbow; he gets something like twelve shots a round. Pretty nice.

Other than that, I second Wildshape Ranger. Wildshape Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 10/ Warshaper 5 is a great build; you're not breaking the game like a Druid, but you can turn into some pretty kick-ass things.

Kilink
2011-11-15, 09:22 PM
Bloodstorm Blade.

Now THIS is something interesting! I'll ask my DM if I can use something like that!

Wings of Peace
2011-11-15, 09:31 PM
Now THIS is something interesting! I'll ask my DM if I can use something like that!

Depending on how you want to play it there's a number of routes you can take.

You actually have a fairly varied set of options as well. Go straight for a Power Attack throwing build, mix with Master Thrower + Palm Throw + Daggers for lots of attacks, mix with Talenta Boomerangs for Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet for a powerful daze combo, or just acquire an Aptitude weapon and PA in combination with Boomerang Daze/Ricochet.

Edit:
If Soulbound Weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) is allowed then Psychic Warrior 5/Bloodstorm Blade X wouldn't be bad at all since you could enter BB with an adjustable version of your favorite weapon. Psychic Warrior might go against the low magic flavor of the campaign though.

Kilink
2011-11-15, 09:44 PM
Nevermind, I think a different type of Ranged character would be better. Maybe I'll ask the DM if I can run the Wildshape Ranger...

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-16, 02:54 AM
Nah, there are already two Rogues; Swift Hunter would kind of step on their toes as trap- and skill-monkeys.

So what? you're only a skill monkey if you care to act like one. you can put points into skills no one else has, you can have a lower intelligence so you don't have as many points, or you can have the skills and never use them.

I don't believe in "stepping on toes". if you have a wizard, sorcerer, cleric, or druid, your toes are already being stepped on anyway, and I'm pretty sure most people play with at least one caster in the party. I doubt another skill monkey is gonna ruin everyone's fun.

Lateral
2011-11-16, 04:00 PM
So what? you're only a skill monkey if you care to act like one. you can put points into skills no one else has, you can have a lower intelligence so you don't have as many points, or you can have the skills and never use them.
Half the point of being a Swift Hunter in the first place is that you've got a full BAB class with 6 skill points/level paired with a class with 8 skill points/level that gets Trapfinding. Dumping INT and not taking skills, taking useless skills, or just never using the skills you have is counterintuitive, and frankly it isn't any fun.