PDA

View Full Version : Basic DM Tips You Have.

zoobob9
2011-11-15, 09:39 PM
I'm trying my luck at DMing sometime soon. I have a moderate amount of experience as a player, but not as a DM.

So what basic pointers do you guys have?

I know a few principals, no railroading, if you have to fudge a die roll you do, it's ultimately the players' choice what to do, stuff like that.

Monster/encounter creation I'm lost on, towns I'm alright at, but the main thing I have a problem with is trying to make a campaign that'll last at least a level, maybe up to 4, and then when I have more experience a really big one that goes from 5 or 6 to 20.

Any tips?

The first few meets are just "adventure of the week" kind of meets. A couple of players are new to the game, and I'm new to DMing, so the first 3 are to get used to things. We're planning on 4 players and an NPC to help them. It's starting at level 3 because I don't want them to die from an encounter with a Dire Rat.

Novawurmson
2011-11-15, 10:07 PM
This should get you started. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1)

Novawurmson
2011-11-15, 10:11 PM
For a more in-depth answer...

Read the DMG2. It's got great information on running a campaign, dealing with different types of players, designing encounters, etc., etc.

Communication is extremely important.

If there's a rules argument, try to solve it quickly; look up the correct way to do it afterwards, but let your original decision stand.

Make a bunch of NPCs, even if you never use them; the practice making characters will help you get a feel for what your players will be able to do at each level.

Make sure the group is on a relatively equal power level; have the experienced players help the new ones.

Remember that D&D is first and foremost a game - make sure everyone is having fun, including you.

fryplink
2011-11-15, 10:27 PM
While I'm sure I'll get ninja'd multiple times...

I'd suggest making a stockpile of 15 or so "Stock NPC's" that can fill different roles at different levels. I don't mean making guards scale a la Oblivion. But if they attack the blacksmith, have a lvl 1, 2 and 3 Expert pre-rolled in a word document, along with a few guards to apprehend them (not kill if possible). Just NPC's premade for situations. Having levels 1,2 and 3 stat-ed out for each commoner class goes a long way to having your world feel more real. Making a list of 20 or so back story pieces and ticks (stick two or three to a name and you have a "dynamic" character they will never interact with again) also gives your world flavour.

If you feel more ambitious, create plot-relevant NPC's for the sake of killing. I've made a list of about 50 humanoids, 25 abberations, 10 or so outsiders (unique ones), divided by level, type and the type of plot lines they are likely to pop up in. It's enabled me to almost completely abandon the traditional dungeon crawl (my players tend to dislike extended dungeon crawls). I tend to level up my party based on time (basically, time passes in the world, you gain a level or two), so killing and or solving inordinate numbers of things isn't a motivation for the characters (well, solving the over arching problems is but that is different), but that is just me. The point is, have stock NPC's stat-ed out to be primed for the slaughter, or to make opposed (or allied) skill checks.

Heck, I stopped preparing for sessions years ago. The party unwittingly usually builds my plot from their fumbles, I use puzzle pieces from a dozen or so campaigns (my sig is outdated) to form the traps and few dungeons I do need. Don't try to do all of this now, but just save everything from each campaign, each encounter and adventure. Eventually you will have a lot to use.

Also: something I'm going to do someday. Make a framed html page with links to my favorite monsters in the SRD on one side, that loads the page into the other frame. It will be depreciated html and ugly as sin, but worth while.

Medic!
2011-11-15, 10:28 PM
Knowing your players and their styles will go a LONG long way as well. One group I've DM'd for were basically a bunch of bloodthirsty savages as players, for example. If I wanted them to pay attention to a plot point, give a puzzle any kind of consideration before trying to sunder dungeon walls, or do any kind of RP-ish play...I had to start the session off right away with a hack-fest combat encounter and let 'em get their sword-measuring out of the way.

Like foreplay for orcs.

Mostly pay really close attention to what they really like and what they kinda "meh" at. The most important rule's been covered already, fun is #1.

fryplink
2011-11-15, 10:31 PM
Knowing your players and their styles will go a LONG long way as well. One group I've DM'd for were basically a bunch of bloodthirsty savages as players, for example. If I wanted them to pay attention to a plot point, give a puzzle any kind of consideration before trying to sunder dungeon walls, or do any kind of RP-ish play...I had to start the session off right away with a hack-fest combat encounter and let 'em get their sword-measuring out of the way.

The most important rule's been covered already, fun is #1.

True, I really should have written these. I tend to assume most groups are like mine, which is probably contrary to the truth. We are of the ask questions first, non lethal damage second, then killing if necessary variety. Except that one evil game. I ate a baby. Seasoned with curry.

And if it isn't fun, you are, by definition, doing it wrong.

vitkiraven
2011-11-15, 10:34 PM
What about the classic,
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women"...

But seriously, there is an old standby, no plan survives five minutes into battle, corollary, no plot survives five minutes with PC's. You are getting this gist of it, unless you take my trek, and spend the time after you find out about the character desires planning e treasure they may find for the next three levels, just shoot feom the hip. As long as it is fun, relax. Remember, like rabid hounds, players can smell fear in DMs. Oh yeah, always have three backup plans/hooks/adventures, no one can predict what everyone will want every time.

Amphetryon
2011-11-15, 10:41 PM
First tip: Find out what kind of story your group wants to be involved in. If everyone wants to be pirates sailing the seven seas, sticking them in the middle of the desert or the Frostfell is a recipe for disappointment.

Second tip: Be prepared for your group to pick the 8th option from the 4 you thought you provided. Have basic names/notes jotted down for when they go off-script, and don't be afraid to ask for a 15 minute break if you're really flummoxed with what they're doing to the plot.

Third tip: NPCs with motivations make for better story arcs. Hobgoblins attacking the village are a perfectly suitable - if cliche - challenge for a 3rd level group. However, it's just random monsters unless they're, for example, the hobgoblins are being forced out by minotaurs invading as a result of awakening a pyrohydra in the center of a volcano, etc. The example is off-the-cuff, but the point is to give reasons for things to happen, so that the world is vibrant around them and can consistently challenge them.

Fourth tip: No doubt you've heard this one before, but it's important. You'll screw up. It's okay. Everyone screws up, especially as they're acclimating to the DM chair. Roll with it, acknowledge it, learn from it, and move on. If everyone has a good time, you're doing your job.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-15, 11:14 PM
Talk with your players.

Ask them what kind of campaign they want to play (city based, wilderness based, spying, politics based, etc.). Ask them what kind of character they want to use. Ask them if they want an overarching plot of critical importance to the world or one that is more realistic.

And most importantly, remember that you are playing to have fun. So long as everyone is having fun, nothing else really matters.

kpenguin
2011-11-15, 11:21 PM
And most importantly, remember that you are playing to have fun. So long as everyone is having fun, nothing else really matters.

Of all the possible advices, the most important. possible. advice.

Courtesy of our own Emperor Tippy.

Win or lose, story or sandbox, high power or low, the ultimate job of the DM is to be no mere adjudicator of rules nor spinner of stories nor builder of worlds. It is to be facilitator of enjoyment of his or her players. All other roles are secondary, nay, tertiary to this role.