PDA

View Full Version : Restoring factory settings vs reinstalling Windows

13_CBS
2011-11-16, 12:36 PM
My laptop recently seems to have been struck by a virus, and since I'm rather panicked about the possibility of the virus leaking my bank account information and such, I'm trying to do a complete hard drive wipe to hopefully purge my laptop of the virus. I've tried using anti-virus software and such, but the problem seems to persist.

So the question is this: to purge a laptop's hard drive, should I "restore to factory settings" or simply completely reinstall Windows?

(As an FYI, I'm loathe to take my computer to a fixer right at this moment, as I'm a bit strapped for cash.)

Edit: For the curious, the virus I was hit with was called System Fix (http://trojan-killer.net/rn-virus-delete-fake-hdd/#more-4613), which pops up in your computer claiming that your hard drive is undergoing a catastrophic meltdown, then tries to get you to buy a supposed bit of software that will fix everything. I purged with Malawarebytes, but I suspect that my current troubles made their way in thanks to System Fix. I also noticed that a bunch of websites posted solutions to System Fix the day I got it (yesterday), so this virus might be a fairly recent one. If your computer gets hit by System Fix the way mine did, then...well, I hope you have an extra Windows disk handy. :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2011-11-16, 12:39 PM
I say reboot the thing. Sorry about the mess you're in. Hope you have your files backed up.

GeekGirl
2011-11-16, 03:25 PM
With most computer, if you are using either the discs or recovery partition that came with the computer, restoring factor setting and re-installing windows, is the same thing. Restore factory setting will wipe the drive and data and put it back to an "out-of box" state, usually with all the drivers
and software that came with out. I think you would be safe either way.

Brother Oni
2011-11-16, 03:28 PM
Not directly concerning 13_CBS's issue (so don't panic), is it possible for a virus to infect a recovery partition, or is the laptop BIOS/hardware configured in such a way to prevent this?

13_CBS
2011-11-16, 03:41 PM
Not directly concerning 13_CBS's issue (so don't panic), is it possible for a virus to infect a recovery partition, or is the laptop BIOS/hardware configured in such a way to prevent this?

I asked a tech guy at my university, and he says that it is impossible for a virus to corrupt your recovery partition.

(Also, Tech Guy also said that factory settings and reinstallation of Windows is practically the same thing, aside from the fact that factory settings will also automatically install those silly software things that always come with fresh laptops.)

Don Julio Anejo
2011-11-16, 05:02 PM
If you haven't fiddled with anything low-level, it would be impossible for a virus to occupy a recovery partition. If, however, you've opened it up (usually possible if you dual boot another OS or installed a different version of Windows from a disc), it basically becomes a regular partition with Windows installation files on it. It should still be safe against a virus, as the latter would only be able to put infected files in there, not modify Windows files to "install" the virus upon reformat.

Ranger Mattos
2011-11-16, 05:03 PM
I recently contracted this virus under a different name. As you said, the virus just comes back after you get rid of it, and this is because it is a special type of virus known as a rootkit. It installs itself on the deepest levels of your computer, and usually takes specially-designed antivirus to get rid of.

You may wish to try running Kaspersky's TDSSKiller (http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363). Hopefully that and Malwarebytes will solve it. Otherwise I'm afraid you will probably have to reinstall Windows.

Good luck, hopefully you won't have to reinstall.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-11-16, 05:08 PM
Also, remember that rootkit viruses (virii?) have to be removed in safe mode, otherwise the antivirus software can't access all the sectors it needs to and the virus itself can often stay in system memory.

13_CBS
2011-11-16, 05:33 PM
I recently contracted this virus under a different name. As you said, the virus just comes back after you get rid of it, and this is because it is a special type of virus known as a rootkit. It installs itself on the deepest levels of your computer, and usually takes specially-designed antivirus to get rid of.

You may wish to try running Kaspersky's TDSSKiller (http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363). Hopefully that and Malwarebytes will solve it. Otherwise I'm afraid you will probably have to reinstall Windows.

Good luck, hopefully you won't have to reinstall.

I did indeed use Kaspersky's TDSSKiller, and my laptop has just finished restoring to factory settings. (Interestingly, it was the restoring factory settings part that was rather tricky--my computer had multiple ways to restore factory settings, but after hours of fiddling around I discovered that only one of those ways really worked.)

So far, everything looks fine; one of the major issues I was having with the virus after its initial removal was the constant appearance of iexplorer.exe spamming me with stuff and hogging my resources, but that's not happening any more.

GeekGirl
2011-11-16, 05:55 PM
You seem to have it all set. Congrats you fixed your laptop!! Now time to enjoy the spoils of war ^_^