PDA

View Full Version : Feats That Count As Other Feats

Fax Celestis
2011-11-16, 04:35 PM
Is there a list of these somewhere? I'll compile what I know about here.

Combat Expertise
Wolf Berserker (UE, for Improved Trip only)

Combat Reflexes
Evasive Reflexes (ToB)

Dodge
Midnight Dodge (MoI)
Expeditious Dodge (RotW)
Desert Wind Dodge (ToB)

Endurance
Kobold Endurance (RotD)

Power Attack
Stone Power (ToB)

Psionic Meditation
Instant Clarity (ToB)

Toughness
Azure Toughness (MoI)

Weapon Finesse
Shadow Blade (ToB)

Weapon Focus
Hand Crossbow Focus (DotU, hand crossbow only)

Planar Touchstone is a special case: you can use it to acquire feats that you don't meet the prerequisites for. Here are feats that can be acquired with it by selecting Catalogues of Enlightenment:
Craft (PGtF): Skill Focus (Craft)
Darkness (FR): Blind-Fighting
Domination (CDiv): Spell Focus (Enchantment)
Dragon Below (ECS): Augment Summoning
Drow (PGtF): Lightning Reflexes
Dwarf (PGtF): Great Fortitude
Elf (PGtF): Point-Blank Shot
Planning (CWar): Extend Spell
Portal (Und): Portal Sensitive
Rune (PGtF): Scribe Scroll
Shadow (ECS): Blind-Fighting
Time (PGtF): Improved Initiative
Undeath (PGtF): Extra Turning
War (PHB): Martial/Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus

IdleMuse
2011-11-16, 05:11 PM
Kobold Endurance, from Races of the Dragon. Niche, but I think it's relevant enough to put on this list, given it's not exactly huge!

Fax Celestis
2011-11-16, 05:19 PM
Cool. Added.

darkdragoon
2011-11-16, 06:02 PM
I think that may be all of them; I used to have a similar list lying around somewhere.

Darrin
2011-11-16, 08:29 PM
Does Planar Touchstone count? If you take the War Domain power, you can get a two-for-one deal: Martial/Exotic Weapon Proficiency + Weapon Focus. This list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9236967&postcount=3) has a list of most of the exotic favored weapons in 3.x.

(You can also use Planar Touchstone to grab Augment Summoning via the Dragon Below domain without taking Spell Focus: Conjuration.)

nedz
2011-11-16, 08:57 PM
Improved Weapon Familiarity
Exotic Weapon Proficiency

Flickerdart
2011-11-16, 09:04 PM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Does not work the same - a character with Improved Weapon Familiarity cannot qualify for anything that requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, such as Master of Arms, Spellrazor or Sting Strike, unless they are explicitly allowed to (such as for Exotic Weapon Master).

jiriku
2011-11-16, 09:39 PM
Versatile Combatant (DotU 53) counts as Two-Weapon Fighting within a limited context, although not for meeting prerequisites.

Ernir
2011-11-16, 09:59 PM
It's not explicit, but Wolf Berserker is a feat you can take instead of Combat Expertise to qualify for Improved Trip. It doesn't require a high Int score, and actually gives you a bonus you might use, so it's pretty practical.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-16, 11:02 PM
Updated the list.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-17, 12:02 AM
Does Planar Touchstone count? If you take the War Domain power, you can get a two-for-one deal: Martial/Exotic Weapon Proficiency + Weapon Focus.
That's an error. War (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#warDomain) will grant Martial Weapon Proficiency, but never Exotic. Perhaps you're thinking of the Favored Soul's class ability, which will grant either for the deity's weapon.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-11-17, 01:20 AM
That's an error. War (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#warDomain) will grant Martial Weapon Proficiency, but never Exotic. Perhaps you're thinking of the Favored Soul's class ability, which will grant either for the deity's weapon.

See, that view is rather silly, unless you're suggesting I can have "Martial Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)."

Curmudgeon
2011-11-17, 02:21 AM
See, that view is rather silly, unless you're suggesting I can have "Martial Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain)."
No, in that case the domain gives you only Weapon Focus (spiked chain), which won't be active unless you have spiked chain proficiency.

It's "Free Martial Weapon Proficiency with deity’s favored weapon (if necessary)", and Martial Weapon Proficiency (exotic weapon) is never necessary. :smallwink:

Darrin
2011-11-17, 06:51 AM

I've looked at the RAW on this, and you're absolutely right. I think this is more of an oversight that when the War Domain was written, there weren't any deities that used exotic weapons as their favored weapons (except for Blipdilbloop, but "pincher staff" builds haven't exactly been burning up the CharOp boards).

After Living Greyhawk and particularly Forgotten Realms introduced a plethora of deities with exotic favored weapons, then the War Domain should probably have been updated (I wasn't able to find a Custserv or Sage ruling on this, although the Living Greyhawk Deities 2.0 document comes closest but doesn't actually say what happens with the War domain and exotics).

However, I think most DMs will handwave this issue as RAI.

For those of you looking to pick up EWP/WF: Spiked Chain this way:

Kossuth (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 234)
Tsolorandril (Living Greyhawk Deities v2.0 p. 171)
Zoser (Sandstorm p. 45)

Wings of Peace
2011-11-17, 08:23 AM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12982.0) seems relevant to your interests. :smallsmile:

nedz
2011-11-17, 03:33 PM
Exotic Weapon ProficiencyDoes not work the same - a character with Improved Weapon Familiarity cannot qualify for anything that requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency, such as Master of Arms, Spellrazor or Sting Strike, unless they are explicitly allowed to (such as for Exotic Weapon Master).
Weapon Proficiencies are feats.
IWF grants you (usually several) Proficiencies with Exotic Weapons.
Say you were playing a Dwarf Rogue, with IWF, you could then qualify for Suel Arcanamach, or Exotic Weapon Master, for example.
Granted there are examples where this doesn't hold - but then there are several where it does.

Flickerdart
2011-11-17, 09:32 PM
Weapon Proficiencies are feats.
IWF grants you (usually several) Proficiencies with Exotic Weapons.
Say you were playing a Dwarf Rogue, with IWF, you could then qualify for Suel Arcanamach, or Exotic Weapon Master, for example.
Granted there are examples where this doesn't hold - but then there are several where it does.
But you don't get Exotic Weapon Proficiency. You only treat the Exotic Weapons as Martial ones. Whenever this works it is explicitly stated as an exception to how it would normally function. Compare Elf (you get the feats for rapier and such) to Dwarf (a Dwarven Wizard still suffers nonproficiency for a Dwarven War Axe).

IdleMuse
2011-12-04, 09:04 AM
Came across another one today; not going to be very important, but mention it for completeness: Valenar Trample (PGtE 141) counts as Trample (that most prolific pre-req feat), and is pretty much strictly better if you're an Elf from Valenar.

EDIT: In the same book, p20, is the far more useful Aereni Focus which duplicates Skill Focus for an elf while also adding it as a class skill.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-12-05, 07:17 PM
Centaur Trample counts as well, trample. From