PDA

View Full Version : Playing Pathfinder for the first time ever as a Paladin of Cayden Caelian.

Coidzor
2011-11-16, 04:50 PM
So, I discovered this deity a short time ago in the favorite deities thread, and sorta-kinda fell in love.

Then today I got called up by my friend that our usual game wasn't going to be able to run due to half the group being gone, but since we have a larger group than usual we still had enough to try out something different as a one-shot.

Since she wanted to increase her pathfinder familiarity, she decided she was going to gen up our characters and we ended up upon a half-orc paladin and I begged for Cayden Caelian as my deity.

So I imagine I may need to be a CG variant pally, but, any ideas of where to take this idea RP-wise from there?

And how bad of a decision was going with the weapon over the mount?

And how much of a world of pain am I looking at with The Harrowing module?

Psyren
2011-11-16, 05:11 PM
So I imagine I may need to be a CG variant pally, but, any ideas of where to take this idea RP-wise from there?

Seems like some variation on this guy (http://www.twiceblessedcomic.com/) would be perfect.

And how bad of a decision was going with the weapon over the mount?

Depends on how much time you plan to spend indoors, I'd say. (Don't know your module so someone else can comment on that.)

Galanar
2011-11-16, 05:40 PM
which variant?

CC is a CG deity

the only variant I know to change alignement is sacred servant

A sacred servant must select one deity to worship. This deity’s alignment must be lawful good, lawful neutral, or neutral good.
:smallfrown:

However a LG paladin of Cayden can fight to ensure that laws are good towards the people, fighting to change the system to abolish slavery, ensure that the law is never too tight as to strangle the people, but always working inside the system

It is good to roleplay a character that loves to drink, but CC frowns on drunkards

Despite the church's promotion of drink, the faithful draw a line between drinking for merriment and drinking to excess. The latter is seen as the abuse of one of the deity's favored things, and as such is frowned upon. Similarly, although the faithful of Cayden Cailean are known to actively seek out danger and adventure, they recognize the need to withdraw when a situation turns sour. Stupidity does not equal bravery, and bravery should never be sought at the bottom of a keg.
from this link
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean

I would advise you to solve things with charisma and resort only to violence as a last option.

AS a Half orc you get bonuses to intimidate, get the trait Extremely Fashionable wear nice clothes and chose intimidate as class skill

or dip if possible one level into inquisitor for judgements and skills (also spells if you at least have wis 10)

Psyren
2011-11-16, 05:54 PM
which variant?

CC is a CG deity

the only variant I know to change alignement is sacred servant

That's easy; just dip into 3.5 for Paladin of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassF eatures), but with the PF Paladin's crunch and PF versions of the various spells.

The rest of your advice is spot-on; I would see such a character knocking back wine coolers instead of guzzling whiskey anyway.

Coidzor
2011-11-16, 07:33 PM
I'm sort of imagining a Half-Orc Superman that's a worshiper of Dionysus now... Haha.

That trait sounds wonderful to go along with this. Right now we're sort of picturing him as a disconcertingly handsome, square-jawed, and straight-toothed half-orc, sort of like a stereotypical pulp fiction hero, only, y'know, Green. :smallamused:

Edit: Any thematic feats for a level 9 pally?

Curious
2011-11-16, 08:50 PM
Greater Mercy and Ultimate Mercy are kind of neat, if you have to worry about dying often. Reward of Life might also be useful if you often find yourself acting as a secondary healer. Conversely, Radiant Charge might be nice if you find yourself with some LoH to spare at the end of the day.

Coidzor
2011-11-16, 10:10 PM
Greater Mercy and Ultimate Mercy are kind of neat, if you have to worry about dying often. Reward of Life might also be useful if you often find yourself acting as a secondary healer. Conversely, Radiant Charge might be nice if you find yourself with some LoH to spare at the end of the day.

Interesting, thanks.

Bloodgruve
2011-11-16, 10:23 PM
Beer for the Beer God!

Coidzor
2011-11-16, 10:34 PM
Oh, that reminds me, what is a good phraseology of describing beer and how a foe will no longer know the warm buttery goodness of it in their afterlife if they don't lay aside this senseless non-barroom brawl?

Taelas
2011-11-16, 10:52 PM
Eh. It's not like there isn't beer in the other afterlives. Cayden Cailean has ale as part of his portfolio, but he doesn't have a monopoly on it.

kardar233
2011-11-16, 10:57 PM
"There are more beers in the world than a single man can drink in his entire lifetime. Some are excellent, others merely tasty; but the wonder is in what the next mug will hold. Think: do you really wish to deprive yourself of all the mugs of beer you will drink in the future by crossing me?"

May need to adjust the sesquipedalian loquaciousness, because, y'know, half-orc.

Coidzor
2011-11-16, 11:33 PM
"There are more beers in the world than a single man can drink in his entire lifetime. Some are excellent, others merely tasty; but the wonder is in what the next mug will hold. Think: do you really wish to deprive yourself of all the mugs of beer you will drink in the future by crossing me?"

May need to adjust the sesquipedalian loquaciousness, because, y'know, half-orc.

Indeed. Is good though. I kept getting stuck on the idea of warm, buttery ale aged to nutty perfection in oaken casks. Which doesn't sound like proper beer talk at all.

Eh. It's not like there isn't beer in the other afterlives. Cayden Cailean has ale as part of his portfolio, but he doesn't have a monopoly on it.

That sounds heretical to me... :smalltongue: