PDA

View Full Version : The Vanishing Innkeeper (Lawfuls' IC)

Razanir
2011-11-16, 10:09 PM
You're wandering through some woods on your way to meet the elf king and you stumble upon the small town of Rowanbrook. It's located at the foot of some mountains, about a day's journey away. The town is in a clearing with a wodden fence encircling it. There's a stern looking human guard at the only gate. A sign says there are about 200 people living there, so it's a small town.

Quick exploration reveals that there's an elvish quarter with some magic stores and a dwarf quarter with weapons and armor. The people seem very supersticious. There is a large building in the center of town labeled "Mialee's Bed and Breakfast"

It is currently high noon.

Characters:
Vashkoda -- Daravon_35 -- Female Human Witch -- LN
Kael -- Nixed -- Male Human Paladin -- LG

Roger -- pirateking89 -- Male Human Cavalier -- LN

pirateking89
2011-11-17, 04:46 PM
Roger sweeps his helmet off and straps it to his saddle as he enters town, the better for all the folk to see him and, hopefully recognize him. He lifts his lance in salute to the lone guardsmen, then lets it come to a rest against his shoulder.

"Where would be the best to stable my mount for a while, friend?"

Razanir
2011-11-17, 05:38 PM
The guard responds in a shockingly feminine voice, "Mialee has a nice inn in the center of town. Adventurers get half off. But watch yer backs, there's somethin' strange going on up there."

Daravon_35
2011-11-17, 08:20 PM
Vashkoda slowly follows Roger, smiling as he asks and receives his answer. "Hmm well the inn is usually the first place I stop after arriving to a new town. Always nice to meet the locals when they're happy." She starts to walk by the guard and then stops for a moment.

"Excuse me, just one more question, if I may? Is there a mayor or leader to this town?" She quickly asks, before musing to her companions, "It's always nice to know who the local person in charge is, even if we end up never meeting them." Her final remark being said with a slight smile.

Razanir
2011-11-17, 09:57 PM
"Ezfire Silentall's our mayor, but he also has the town council around him. There's also Meg, Liadon and Zorik. I should let you know, however, that magic was outlawed about a month ago... when it started..." She starts to trail off. "I'm Holly, by the way- half-elf fighter and Captain of the Guard!"

Nixed
2011-11-18, 09:31 AM
Pulling his horse up alongside the others. The young paladin addressed the woman "What exactly did you mean by something strange is going on up there Captain?"

pirateking89
2011-11-18, 11:06 AM
Roger dismounts and bows to the guardswoman.

"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Holly." He sets his lance to the side while he strides over to her, cloak fluttering softly in the breeze, hand relaxing on the pommel of the long blade at his hip. "I would be Sir Roger: Victor at the crossing of Blue Wanderer, Champion of Godton. These," He indicates the two who travel with him. "Would be my temporary traveling companions. The boy on the horse would be Kael and our lovely traveling companion is Vashkoda. Magic is not to be used, that's easily enough done. Is there anything else we should know before proceeding into your town?"

Perform (brag)
[roll0]

Daravon_35
2011-11-18, 11:31 AM
Vashkoda continue to smile as politely as possible, as she worries to herself about the no magic comment. "What do you mean magic was outlawed? Is it from prejudice against magic or did something terrible happen because of it?"

Razanir
2011-11-18, 05:02 PM
"Miss Mialee up at the inn's been disappearing nightly for the past month, and it doesn't help that this town already distrusts magic. Ezfire just came out and banned it about a week ago. Now the rest of the police force is trying to get Mialee banished. The thing is, I don't mind magic, so I've been trying to keep her in town, but I don't know how much longer I can protect her..." She looks worried. "Tell ya what, I'll give you guys 1000 gp if you can find out what's up and get Ezfire to unban magic!

pirateking89
2011-11-19, 04:13 PM
"We can certainly do our best. Is Mialee the entirety of the reason they've banned magic?"

He smiles at Holly and remounts his horse.

Razanir
2011-11-19, 04:25 PM
"Not the entire reason. People have been trying to get magic banned for a while. This was more their excuse... Well it was a pleasure meeting you and good luck with the mission!"

pirateking89
2011-11-19, 04:28 PM
"Thank you. I hope you have a fair day and see no trouble come down your path. If you do, merely shout and I will arrive."

Once again pointing his lance to the sky, Roger heads off towards the center of town, in an attempt to find the Inn.

Daravon_35
2011-11-19, 06:02 PM
Vashkoda stand silently and nods as Roger and the guard finish their conversation. And before she starts off following Roger once more, she stops for a moment, "Trust us, we will definitely get to the bottom of this." And with that she continues on her way into the town.

Razanir
2011-11-20, 02:22 PM
When you enter the inn, you see a halfling man behind the counter muttering to himself. He notices you. "Hello, I assume you're adventurers? Unfortunately Mialee's been banished and the inn will close in a week, but you can stay here for free until then. Just don't go through the door at the end of the hall, Miss Mialee was militant about her privacy."
He comes out from behind the counter and leads you to a nice room in the inn. While going down the hallway, you notice a door labeled "Do Not Enter" in Common, Elvish and Draconic.

pirateking89
2011-11-20, 04:49 PM
"Greetings, sir. I am Roger Katrell, Champion of Godton, warrior of the Cockatrice. We do appreciate your hospitality. May I trouble you to answer a few questions for us? What do you mean by banished? Do you know where she's off to, then? And on whose orders she was sent away?"
He follows the halfling down the hall and claims the nicest of the rooms for himself, dropping his pack on the ground.
"Is there a chance you have food and drink available? I have more than sufficient coin. As well, I'll need bedding and fodder for my mount. Are their facilities here, or will I need to search elsewhere in the city?"

Daravon_35
2011-11-20, 07:52 PM
Vashkoda waits patiently behind Roger, waiting to see the answers to his questions, while she toys with the strings on her coin purse.

Nixed
2011-11-21, 11:46 AM
While the others talk with the man at the inn, he looks over at the forbidden door, extending his senses to see if he can detect evil in the area.

Paladin power: detect evil

Razanir
2011-11-21, 05:16 PM
"The police were just here to banish her. In a week she'll be kicked out of town and likely move in with the wizards about half a day away. And as for your horse, he can stay in the stables out back."

Nixed:
You detect nothing. Although, because you were focusing for long enough, I'm letting you take 20 on Perception... You hear the sound of a door closing, however faintly.

Daravon_35
2011-11-21, 05:46 PM
Vashkoda smiles and nods along as the halfling talks. She then slowly walks over to the "forbidden door" as she seems to study it.

If Kael is over with Vashkoda, she'll mention how odd it is that the "Do Not Enter" is also put in draconic.

Vashkoda will cast detect magic, to see if anything on the door or behind it is magical. (If the door is wood, it has to be 3 feet thick to stop it. If the door is common metal, then 1 inch is enough to stop it.)

Razanir
2011-11-21, 07:32 PM
Vashkoda
Detect magic results:
1 round- Yes there is magic
2 rounds- 6 auras, max is faint
3 rounds- 5 are just beyond the door and close together (same 5' square), the other one is about 20' beyond

Because you were focusing for long enough, I'm letting you take 20 on Perception... You hear a hushed conversation, but can't make out the details

pirateking89
2011-11-21, 08:20 PM
"And where might we find her now?"

Razanir
2011-11-21, 09:49 PM
"She vanished just before you got here." He notices Kael and Vashkoda, "If you were wondering about the door, that's Miss Mialee's bedroom and I'm sure she'd appreciate her privacy."

Nixed
2011-11-21, 10:06 PM
"Of course. Sorry, Just a momentary distraction. Who was the last person to see miss Mailee? Are disappearances like this common? "

Attempt to tell if the man is being honest about Mailee's disappearance.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Razanir
2011-11-21, 10:19 PM
"The police were the last people to see her this time. She disappeared again shortly after they left. And the disappearances happen nightly, although never this early..."

Kael
You detect nothing

Nixed
2011-11-21, 11:35 PM
"These vanishings only happened to Lady Mailee though, no one else in the area was ever effected by them?"

Daravon_35
2011-11-22, 01:24 PM
Vashkoda wanders back towards the halfling, leaving the door. "Excuse me my good man, but if Mialee's disappeared, then why are there people in her room? I believe I heard some people conversing in there. Could it be that she returned or could those sounds be of the people that have caused her to vanish? If that's the case I think it prudent we investigate, don't you?"

Vashkoda will attempt to persuade the halfling if needed

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Edit: Hopefully... it is not needed :smallsigh:

Razanir
2011-11-22, 04:56 PM
"Well I suppose it's fine, I mean she's not here right now..." He walks over and opens the forbidden door. Behind the door, you see a backpack on the ground with its contents, some potions, spilling out. At the other end of the room, you see two ladies talking. One is an elf and the other... well you aren't sure what she is. She looks like an elf, but has silvery skin. Both have a glowing symbol on their forehead.

They notice you and the silvery lady disappears. Reg speaks to the one who remains, "Miss Mialee?"

pirateking89
2011-11-22, 06:27 PM
Roger steps into the room, following the halfling.

"Hello, my lady. We're here to get to the bottom of the accusations that are being hurled at you. I am Roger Katrell, Champion of Godton, warrior of the Cockatrice."

Daravon_35
2011-11-23, 02:11 AM
Vashkoda chimes in behind Roger, "And I am Vashkoda. Sorry for entering your room despite the sign, but this helpful halfling here had said you disappeared not too long ago and when we heard noises in your room... naturally we came to see what they were. I hope you can forgive us and perhaps fill us in on some information?"

Vashkoda will try to see if she recognizes the symbols that were on their foreheads as well as possibly any magic that had been cast.

Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

Spellcraft: [roll1]

Razanir
2011-11-23, 01:17 PM
"Sir Roger, I will admit that I deserve my punishment. I will not, however, explain why."

She switches to Draconic.
"Meet me at the wizards' tomorrow at midday without Reg. I will explain there."

Vashkoda
You remember nothing special about the symbol

Daravon_35
2011-11-23, 08:19 PM
Vashkoda nods, almost reluctantly, as she responds back in Draconic, "We shall see you then and there. Take care till then."

Vashkoda starts to wander back to the main room of the inn, as she continues to speak, this time in common, "Come Reg, lets see about getting us a room for the night and if you would, could you tell me some more about these wizards Miss Mialee might be moving in with? Such as who they are, where they are located and if we did want to converse with them, how long would it take for us to travel there?"

Razanir
2011-11-25, 05:03 PM
"The wizards are an elderly elf couple who live about half a day out of town. Just follow the road and you'll be fine."

NOTICE:
The Dice Roller hates me, so I'm switching over to a roller extension for chrome

pirateking89
2011-11-29, 08:38 AM
"I'll see to my mount. I'll return shortly."
Roger walks outside.

Nixed
2011-11-29, 06:34 PM
Follows Roger to help with the mounts.

Daravon_35
2011-11-29, 11:36 PM
Vashkoda takes care of getting a room for the three of them and then heads to bed, figuring they can get an earlier start in the morning to head to the wizards place.

Razanir
2011-12-04, 03:52 PM
OOC Notice
Sorry, my teachers fell behind on grading so I've been spending the week getting rid of F's

Assuming everyone's done for the game day... While on the trail to the wizards' the next morning, you get jumped by a phase spider. It hits Kael

Attack Roll: [roll0]
If it hits: [roll1]

Daravon_35
2011-12-08, 06:47 PM
OOC:

No problem, being a DM is definitely busy so don't worry about it.

As the phase spider appears in front of Vashkoda she attempts her best to react to it. Her arms swing out in front of her as she tries to change it's fortune. Her arms still moving in front of her as she works the strands of time to keep it's blight ongoing.

Vashkoda will use her misfortune hex on the phase spider. DC (Will) 16 to not have to roll 2d20 to hit and take the lowest. She'll also cackle to keep it going

pirateking89
2011-12-08, 06:52 PM
Roger grins and lets out a booming laugh.
"Back, back, the honor is mine!"

He puts his heels into his mount and drops his lance to the spider, doing his best to destroy it in a single strike.

Ride check vs. DC 20: [roll0]

Charge Lance attack

Atk: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]x3

Nixed
2011-12-09, 08:28 AM
The phase spider's attack being deflected by his armor he slashes at the creature as Roger gallops past.

Hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Razanir
2011-12-16, 04:52 PM
Vash
Not sure if I'm supposed to reveal this, but...It rolled 11 on Will

The phase spider is mad and lunges at Kael
Roll One: [roll0]
Roll Two: [roll1]
If it hits, [roll2]

Daravon_35
2011-12-18, 12:11 AM
Vashkoda feeling the creature's misfortune start to take hold, begins her best to continue it.

Vashkoda will Evil Eye the creature, giving it -2atk.

She will then cackle making both the misfortune and evil eye continue.

It now has to roll 2d20 take the lowest and have -2 for attacks.