PDA

View Full Version : Illithid savant

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 10:31 PM
So I stumbled upon an interesting opportunity for exponential power growth with this class. http://kahdnd.pbworks.com/w/page/5588920/Illithid%20Savant

The 3rd lvl ability

Acquire Class Feature (Ex):

At 3rd level, an illithid savant permanently gains one class feature of a consumed brain’s owner, as a character of that creature’s level in that class. If the former character was a spellcaster, the illithid savant is able to cast one spell of each level available to the character (if the victim was a wizard, the mind flayer must still consult a spellbook or learn from scrolls), as well as any bonus spells provideded by the illithid savant’s ability scores. If the illithid savant already has spellcasting levels, these spells are in addition to those granted by the illithid savant’s spellcasting class levels. At 7th level and again at 10th level, the illithid savant can gain another class feature from a consumed brain.

This one ability lets you steal 3 class features from any brain you have eaten. The strength of the ability is equal to the strength they had at the time you ate their brain.

Soooo, I propose devising a PLAN to train up an enclave of illithid savant brethren, and then find a way to betray them and eat a BUNCH of mindflayer/ illithid savant10 brains.

For all 3 of your Acquire class feature choices, you would then choose to steal "Acquire class feature" from 3 of the consumed brains. This would give you 9 more uses of Acquire class feature. Then steal "acquire class feature" from 9 different brains. You now have 27 uses of Acquire class feature.

Continue this exponential growth until you run out of brains to leech the ability from. And then use some of the class features to steal different spell casting (do it multiple times to increase castings per day), some of them to steal powerful SA's and SQ's from random creatures via "Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality" pulled from your illithid enclave brains (you get 2 of them per use of "Acquire class feature"!!!), some of them to shop for massive skill ranks via "Acquire skill" (you get 4 skills per use of "Acquire class feature"), and then use the rest for extra feats robbed from your brain pool via "acquire feat" (4 feats per use of "Acquire class feature).

So i guess the point of this thread is,

#1 help me work out the details of starting a minflayer Illithid Savant Enclave designed for training Illithid's in the ways of the Savant.

#2 Help me work out a logistically sound way to finally betray them and come out victorious. All your brains are belong to me!

#3 Rationalize how many lvl 10 illithid savant brains we can realistically set up for consumption.

Things this thread is not about

#1 What exactly to spend your tons of extra feats, free sor/wiz/bard/cleric full casting all of the above, free Special quality, free special attacks, free skills, ect on.

It's pretty obvious you would just get all the spellcasting... ALL OF IT. And then steal it again for MORE spells per day.

Cherry pick the best class features in the game.

Then cherry pick the best Special attacks

and the best special qualities.

Max out all relevant skill points after a light snack on some epic factotums.

and then dump the rest of the uses into 4 feats a pop. (and then Dark Chaos Shuffle them into whatever you really wanted.)

Optimizing AFTER this combo has worked is definitely NOT the hard part.

Hell eat a Sarrukh's brain, steal manipulate form. Eat a wizards brain, steal his ability to call a familiar, call a lizard. Get a yuanti graft instantly qualifying yourself as a "scaly-kind". See where this is going? Yeh, totally not the hard part.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-16, 10:44 PM
Good for you, you found the most broken class in the game.

Combine your ability to eat brains with Gate and you can have any ability from anything that exists. Level 20 Sorcerer casting all as SLA's (no material or XP component), Level 20 Cleric casting, and everything else in the game.

Madcrafter
2011-11-16, 11:13 PM
It is most definitely a DM class. Good luck getting that passed in a game. (Actually I take that back, I'm pretty sure someone has gotten one by before). Even as a theoretical exercise it is somewhat pointless, since you can get anything, as pointed out by Emp. Tippy.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 11:45 PM
Good for you, you found the most broken class in the game.

Combine your ability to eat brains with Gate and you can have any ability from anything that exists. Level 20 Sorcerer casting all as SLA's (no material or XP component), Level 20 Cleric casting, and everything else in the game.

It is most definitely a DM class. Good luck getting that passed in a game. (Actually I take that back, I'm pretty sure someone has gotten one by before). Even as a theoretical exercise it is somewhat pointless, since you can get anything, as pointed out by Emp. Tippy.

Yeh, I know it is broke and there is no point to TO what kind of power it would have.

Thats why I said in the OP that the thread isn't about TOing.

It is about brainstorming the logistics of making it happen.

Collecting and training a large amount of illithid's in 10 lvls of the class is not easy.

Finding a way to ensure their defeat so you can consume them is not likely.

I'm looking for clever ideas on ways to plan out a route to success.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-16, 11:55 PM
Just use gate. That's all it takes. As the multiverse is infinite you can always find one to call up, and as he is under your control you can order him to not resist you killing him and eating his brain.

Repeat as needed.

It's not necessary to train them.

Madcrafter
2011-11-17, 12:02 AM
Or Mindrape. It tends to solve most problems. Cast it on an elder brain, consume Illithids.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-17, 12:21 AM
I thought gate only called "extraplanar" creatures.

Also, "Let me eat your brain" would probably fall under the "more involved task" criteria.

I like the mindraping an elder brain idea. Very possible a mindflayer cell has some savants naturally. If I can dominate/mindrape/ect the elder brain, I can force them into being sacrificed.

I was personally thinking some sort of cult. Convince a bunch of mindflayers that they needed to give their brains to the cause. This is similar to what normally happens anyway (just a bit premature for them).

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-17, 12:31 AM
I thought gate only called "extraplanar" creatures.
That's why you go to another plane and use it from there.

Also, "Let me eat your brain" would probably fall under the "more involved task" criteria.
No, it's a task that can be completed in CL/Rounds.

Demon of Death
2011-11-17, 10:02 AM
That's why you go to another plane and use it from there.

Don't even need to do that really, you can apply the Fiendish or Celestial templates on them, to make them Extraplanar if they are encountered on the Material Plane.

And, you can cast Clone on yourself a few times, to have ad nauseum brains, in 2d4 months.

Douglas
2011-11-17, 10:13 AM
Just use gate. That's all it takes. As the multiverse is infinite you can always find one to call up, and as he is under your control you can order him to not resist you killing him and eating his brain.

Repeat as needed.

It's not necessary to train them.
This runs into a brick wall real fast with the issue of what exactly Gate means by "unique" beings and "kinds" of creatures. It is well within reason to interpret "kind" as "race, possibly with template", which would make "Illithid with levels in Illithid Savant" an invalid choice. Even if specifying a class and level is valid, it is well within reason to interpret "unique" as "anything but the standard MM entry", which would mean anything with extra class levels would be uncontrolled - have fun being eaten by your conjured Illithid Savant.

Gate as a means of acquiring brains of class-leveled creatures does not have unambiguous RAW backing.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-17, 10:15 AM
You have discovered why Illithid Savant is one of only three classes I flat out ban. It's a pretty straightforwardly broken option.

The other two are Beholder Mage and Tainted Scholar. All three classes have their main shtick sufficiently broken that they're just best off not being used.

SaintRidley
2011-11-17, 10:30 AM
You have discovered why Illithid Savant is one of only three classes I flat out ban. It's a pretty straightforwardly broken option.

The other two are Beholder Mage and Tainted Scholar. All three classes have their main shtick sufficiently broken that they're just best off not being used.

Yeah, in normal play, this is one of the few things I also say no to. No exceptions.

I am an evil, evil man, however. I'll put all three of those in play against players sometimes. They always need a little dose of reality to keep them in line.

Wings of Peace
2011-11-17, 11:35 AM
Wasn't this part of the original triad of broken classes back on the old 339 boards with the other two being Dweomerkeeper and Planar Shepard? Those innocent times before the Beholder Mage had been released and Tainted Scholar wasn't a disease/real yet.

Xuldarinar
2013-02-25, 08:54 PM
The class is pretty broken. Oh the possibilities.. In case you didn't know, heres an interest exploit to get in.

Illithid Savant [Savage Species]
Requirements
Race: Mind Flayer
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 Ranks
Special: Must have consumed the brain of a creature of CR 9 or greater.

Old Blood (General Feat) [Bastards and Bloodlines]
Benefit: Choose one race other than your own. For the purposes of prestige classes, spells, feat prerequisites, magic items, and so on, you count as a member of that race.
Special: You can take this feat only at 1st level.

So, you can be any race you want and enter the class. Just need a feat, eat someone's brain, and have a high enough knowledge (arcana). In theory you can jump in at level 8.

Alleran
2013-02-25, 10:33 PM
Off the top of my head, what I would chow down on as an Illithid Savant, in no particular order:

1. Greater Doppelganger (Monsters of Faerun) for Consume Identity. Which is like Illithid Savant crossed with the Chameleon class. On crack.
2. Revered Elder Phaerimm (Lost Empires of Faerun) with a Sorc level. Enjoy 20th level Sorc casting where all spells cast are SLAs.
3. A Beholder Mage (Lords of Madness) for Beholder Mage spellcasting. Lots of spells, lots of free actions.
4. An Ur-Priest (Complete Divine) for fast divine spellcasting.
5. Supernatural Spell (Dweomerkeeper). Have your 4/day spells-as-Su ability.
6. Tarrasque (SRD) for Regeneration. Enjoy being invulnerable to lethal damage and regenerating from virtually anything/everything.
7. Warforged Juggernaut (some Eberron book) for Construct qualities. Enjoy being invulnerable to nonlethal damage. You become effectively unkillable in combination with #4.
8. Anything with the Epic Spellcasting feat.

After you've got Consume Identity, though, you can obtain practically any class or combination of classes anyway.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-02-25, 10:45 PM
That's a 3rd-party source, though.