PDA

View Full Version : Character Concepts.

TurtleKing
2011-11-16, 11:36 PM
Well I have been playing quite a few characters and created quite a few more. Problem is may have created too much. See my creative juice is running dry. So was hoping that you could share some of your character concepts so has to inspire the rest of us. Planning on this being a give and take so for posting add a few that you have created regardless of hasn't seen play or satisfactorily retired. As for satisfactorily retired I mean ones like one character of mine who adventured to find the cure to a disease that was withering away his daughter. The very same disease that had claimed him. So once he had cured his daughter it was time to move on as his time was up.

A few of mine that ,ay have seen play yet just didn't go far enough or created yet seen no play are:

Roran a Gnome Bard Alchemist that has an unhealthy fascination/obsession with explosions.
A typical free spirited wants to see the world and experience new things Phasm.
A longarm as in extreme range/damage sniper that has a distrust of the arcane. Multiple ways to build this though the one I did is a Psychic Warrior.
Dominic Deegan yes the inspired by Dominic Deegan Oracle for Hire. Will change the name when character gets some more fluffy skin.
Doppelganger Factotum with multiple personalities. The different personality shards all have their own obsessions and mannerisms. Hopefully this humpdy dumpdy can be put back together again.

Hopefully that will inspire a few of you as well a few of you inspire me.

Hyudra
2011-11-17, 01:40 AM
A half orc who is set to improve the lot of his people. Believes that half orcs represent the best of humankind and orc-kind, and ultimately wishes to further the lot of his people. Talk to DM about reducing cha penalty for some other penalty, be charismatic, a commander and a leader.
The appeal: Reversing some stereotypes about half orcs, bringing a common background element (subjugation/hatred for half-orcs) to the foreground.

A dwarf princess on the run from an arranged marriage. Her husband is fat, greedy and lecherous, and the princess already has other romantic interests - her hammermaid, her bodyguard and close friend since she was yea high. On suspicion of illicit behavior, the hammermaid was forced into exile, and last the princess heard, the maid was working as a mercenary. The princess has elected to do the same, out of hopes their paths will cross. Her husband, in turn, has hired people to track her down. If pressed, he might even settle for an 'accidental' death, so he's free to marry someone else.
The appeal: A character with a few surprises in stock. Fun for DMs to throw a character element in your face at the worst possible moment (Say, you wind up competing with another mercenary group and when you come face to face with them, the hammermaid winds up being on it). Setting-wise, it illustrates the problems of a lawful society like the dwarves. Tradition, law, a lack of flexibility.

An elf scholar dealing with a terrible curse. Nine hundred and fifty years ago, one of the scholar's forebearers made a deal with a dark power to save their settlement from an orc siege. The deal was such: The orcs would be put down, but for every orc slain, five lives would have to be ended at the hands of the elf who made the deal, or his eldest son, or his son's eldest son, and so on. The deal was signed and sealed, and the dark power killed not only the orcs in the siege, but the orc women and children of the siege camp, and all of the orcs in the surrounding valley. The elf scholar bears a 'birthmark' showing elven numerals that adjust nightly to tally the number remaining to be slain at his hand, and there's still a ridiculously high number of deaths required before the elves' end of the deal can be met. The scholar isn't evil, but straits are dire and circumstances may push him to do something terrible. There's less than fifty years until the one-thousand-year deadline runs out, and the penalty is devastating - should his end of the deal not be met, he will become the catalyst of an event that brings about the end of elfkind.
The appeal: An angsty character with something to be angsty about. Circumstances will push the character to be very different from your typical elf, as years may pass over the course of the campaign, and a payment of half a million deaths remains to be met.

Kol Korran
2011-11-17, 03:02 AM
the following idea fits a heroic sort of campaign.

one of my players had a fun concept. he was a low life urchin, kind of a coward. but he wanted to be better, and due to his talent, he was recruited to the king's [enter class/ regiment here] but just before the major battle- he did run away.

but he got captured by the enemy, and at a later time cursed with a special curse (sort of quest)- he's to find another character, and be as brave as him, or suffer consequences. the other guy (in my group) is a really heroic kind of guy.

so the coward tries to circumvent and influence the party to choose non dangerous routes but often gets dragged against his will, trying to find away to be as brave as the other guy, but not TOO brave... and sometimes of course there may be consequences (we made a simple mechanic to determine if he lives up to this)

later this curse could be used for other things. our guy had the curse lifted when the other guy left, and proved to be the most courageous of the group since!

Vixsor Lumin
2011-11-17, 05:02 AM
My idea for one hasn't seen play. A half elf wizard who was ridiculed for his half breed satus as a child. The only way he found to stop it was by learning to use the arcane to put down the bullies who were stronger than him physically. No one bothered him again until he began adventuring and met people stronger than him who wouldn't be intimdated. His solution? Gain as much power as he could so no one could ever hurt him again. The next logical step from being a powerful wizard is to become a god. He's not an evil character, and doesn't use his power to specifically hurt others, he just wants people to be so intimidated they don't even try so he can focus on doing what he deems is the best use of his time. This could be anything from reasearching new spells, or building a super death weapon, to rebuilding a lost city or raising the orphan he one day hoped to adopt.

theflyingkitty
2011-11-17, 08:34 PM
I have a recent idea for a young god, stricken of their powers. Would be a melee class and could possibly not cast spells at all in any form. However, magical things could react more highly to them per DM disgression.

The fun part, however, that while they'd have a decent CHA score, it would all be in looks. Having never had to deal with mortals, commoners, etc. they would have NO CLUE how to behave around them or talk to them. And prehaps no knowlage of hwo to buy things, value or money, or how to dress themselves as they had never needed to before.

Possibly they made some mistake to get in this situation, or were too arriogant and young, so an older god sent them to learn humility and whatnot.

Ninja_Grand
2011-11-17, 09:07 PM
This is awesome! I love these threads!

Anydo here is mine.

A mulit personalization tefling who is Tn(?). His other personalization is his demon part. but the other is trying to forgo his heritage and be a beacon of good.
A Young wizard who thinks he can fight. Takes chain whip and try to be a fighter
A mild feral half orc druid who like to wild shape into a ape and go Tarzan on the enemy

Wiwaxia
2011-11-17, 10:19 PM
Everyone knows the good member of a usually "evil" race out to redeem their kind. But what about their descendants. What about the son of the famous goblin adventurer who redeemed the goblin race? What about a Yuan-ti raised in an ancient mountain refuge for those who fled the influence of Zehir. Or, in an evil-aligned campaign, what about a monster of an "evil" race who turned their back on their Good parents and embraced their darker heritage?

Another idea I've been playing with is a Warforged cleric (or another divine class) born from a failed attempt to resurrect a dead god in an artificial body. Their power comes not from devotion to any god, but from the last divine spark of the dead god animating them. For bonus fun, maybe they have to be careful of the power they amass, lest they accidentally revive the god, killing them and releasing a powerful deity of unknown alignment without warning.

Almaseti
2011-11-18, 02:04 AM
I have a couple concepts that I don't mind sharing.

My first character (whose campaign ended way too early) was an Aasimar rogue with a severe case of angsty teenager syndrome. I've got a pretty detailed backstory for her, but it mostly boils down to feeling neglected by her workaholic (human) paladin mother and fearing that her celestial heritage means she's fated to overwork herself on behalf of people who don't even appreciate her properly. She ran off from home and wants to find her father, who probably doesn't know she exists. (There's also this other paladin she bullies.)

I also had a sort of dual character concept, though I don't know how I'd get to play it: twin sisters, one a paladin and one a bard. (LG and CG) They used to fight and bicker a lot, and the paladin has purple hair (permanently, magic won't change it back and even shapechanging stuff keeps the purple color) due to a prank by the bard when they were younger. They're adventuring together now though because the bard started having recurring dreams about her sister dying and when they happened to cross paths, she just kinda clung to her and wouldn't leave. The paladin doesn't know why her sister has been acting that way, but suspects she either got into some sort of trouble or had something bad happen to her and needs her help, and doesn't bring it up because she doesn't want to push her away. What neither of them know is that a nobleman the paladin rejected has been trying to get her killed out of petty spite, and the dreams are actually warnings from the bard's god as reward for some stuff she did.

There are a couple more, but that's where I'm starting.

Crasical
2011-11-18, 03:32 AM
I tend to base my characters on gimmicky mechanical builds. Sad, I know, but...

Lord Vlad
Lord Vladimir was a rogue that broke into what he eventually discovered was a vampire's castle. When he miraculously managed to slay the vampire, the people of the town hailed him as a hero and had him become the castle lord. This lead to him meeting the undead lords of other castles and actually befriending them, as he was an elf and was of long enough life to be considered a true companion through the ages by the vampires and liches. Eventually a group of hunters crashed a party he was attending and used holy magics to destroy all the undead present, was puzzled when he wasn't destroyed, then let him go since he wasn't undead. He swore vengeance and sets out as an adventurer, trying to unlock some great power to slay the holy warriors.

Vlad was to be used in an SRD only game, and is based off the cloak dance feat, using a longspear to cover a large area and cloak dance, cloak dancing to get concealment and then using that to sneak attack with his opportunity attacks. Vlad uses Disguise to make himself appear to be a vampire, for vanity reasons and because people trying to use positive energy to damage him and healing him with it amuses me. If you played him in any other game, He'd probably be a necropolitan or some other sort of undead, and you would have a better strategy for finishing his early levels than Assassin-> Dragon Disciple.

Magic Monk Miyuki
I played an april fools joke on a friend by saying I was retiring my character and bringing in a Psychic Warrior with the theme of a magical girl that uses the Soulbound Weapon ACF to summon a magic rod (Mace) to do her spells with. Of course, she's using The psywar list of powers, so she mostly just beats people with it... He thought the idea was hilarious and was kind of disappointed when I told him it was a joke. You could do something somewhat more sane, like a samurai who takes the 'Katana is the soul of the samurai' concept to new hights by literally wielding his manifested soul as a weapon.

The only thing I can find in my concepts folder aside from that is Kolkuthka, my current character, who's a druid of earth and fire, is a girl from a tropical island, and worships the volcano god. her tribe has three druids that protect it, the Sovereign of Wind (and water) and Princess of Thorn (and fang) and the Domineer of Flame (and earth). They protect from storms and tsunamis from the sea, the wild animals and plants in the jungle, and the volcano, respectively. Kolly's one of those chosen by the volcano god to be a priestess one day, and might be chosen to become the Domineer. She has an Earth Elemental as her animal companion and plans to take a levels in Fire Elemental Savant and Stonespeaker Guardian, if I can convince the DM to allow it.

EDIT: Oh, one that I never saved and forgot about. A caster who takes levels in Thaumaturgist to summon his wife, a succubus/djinn/other outsider he's been promised to marry, but only on the condition he can use his magic to call and permenantly bind her to his side. If the Thaumaturgist ever can gain the Planar Cohort ability, he wins.

I've also wanted to make a Monk suffused with poisons so that her touch is dangerous, but haven't found a way to represent it in any game I play.

Anderlith
2011-11-18, 03:41 AM
-Warforged Artificer, who became an artificer because he wants children
-A court wizard that has a taste for fine wine & intrigue
-A wizard who is searching for a way to use arcane energies to heal wounds
-A good cleric of a death/repose god that is seeking undeath so he can teach others how to be good guys till the end of time
-"Professor Barbarian", a witch doctor(alchemist)/barbarian that uses mutations & rage to destroy his foes

Mastikator
2011-11-18, 04:34 AM
An ex-mercenary warrior who is in heavy debt and needs to "adventure" to get enough money fast enough to pay his debt and free his family. Also he's a werewolf that goes on a rampage during a full moon.
He likes sitting around the fire camp telling warrior stories, he is very skilled and experienced, and a bit messed up from the things he's seen. He's also weak willed and in times will turn to nihilism.

Krazzman
2011-11-18, 05:17 AM
Starting Build:
Rogue1/Fighter1 Tiefling (no LA thanks to pf.), NE, (going Red Mantis Assassin).

He was once human and once a devil. In a ritual his brother saved his live but turned him into a powerful demon by sacrificing the whole town. 2 years ago he was betrayed and now seeks revenge and he wants to get his power back.

Got to play him 2 sessions but had to leave the group afterwards...(He aquired a tower :3)

Jay R
2011-11-18, 12:03 PM
OD&D: Darkstar started out as a generic Paladin (for the second game I ever played). He was taken over by an intelligent, chaotic (meaning evil) sword and did many things (against his will) that he is always trying to atone for now. The sword is buried under his keep now, and protected by all the methods he knows. His greatest adventure was when he actually faced Orcus. Rather than attempting to fight with his sword, he used his Rod of Cancellation against Orcus's wand. There were no rules for such a thing yet, so the DM ruled that it canceled the rod's power for one month. No demon will come within 300 yards of the rod, since it now has the power to kill a demon permanently (once). (This is the only reason no demon has taken revenge on him.) Darkstar is easily recognized now by his left hand with six fingers plus two thumbs, and by his living mithril right leg. (He'
s had a rather eventful life.)

AD&D 2e: Treewalker, an elven thief / wizard, was raised in a human orphanage, so he knows nothing about being an elf. He is also a self-taught wizard, who didn't know the weird things he did were called magic until third level. (He had very few spells, since they were all researched.) Since he knows nothing of the Tolkienish elven culture, he's the only elf in the world with an Elfquest name.

OD&D: Two dwarf fighters, Doli and Felix, the last of seven brothers. The rest of their family were slain and their mine taken over by a dragon. They intend to return for revenge when they are powerful enough. (You need to know a couple of other languages to recognize their names as Grumpy and Happy.)

AD&D 1e: Eilonwy, a human magic-user. She is the daughter of peasant farmers. She was raised to be a farmwife, and magic was "above her". Her father tried to beat "all that nonsense" out of her (similar to Harry Potter's family). So she ran away as a young teen. She started with only a dagger, a small silver mirror (well, she is a teenage girl), a set of her own clothes and one of her brother's to wear on the road. Her head is filled with stories of glamor and adventure,

Champions: Acrobat - **** Grayson in a world without Batman. After his parents' murder, there was no dark avenging angel who came swooping in to teach him detective skills. So he became the Acrobat - an skills-based acrobatic superhero with circus based skills (including animal training, stage magic, trick riding and acrobatics, but no detective skills of any kind.

Champions: John MacAubrey is a cultural anthropologist studying cultural views of magic, he put himself through college working as a stage magician under the stage name of Dr. MacAbre. He was more astonished than anybody else when actual magical powers started manifesting. Since he was already known as a stage magician, everybody assumes his magic is just tricks.

Flashing Blades (France of the musketeers): Jean-Louis is a Parisian street-rat. He was an orphan, raised by the nuns of Notre Dame, until he fled at age eight, upon hearing that he was to be taught Latin. Since then he has lived by his wits, developing the skills of a cutpurse and thief. Jean-Louis particularly enjoys climbing, feeling happiest and most secure when climbing buildings (easily learned as a child at Notre Dame, of course).

Jean-Louis, at age 14, was climbing and exploring. Finding an open window, he entered the lavish rooms. He was surprised in one room by a middle-aged man in a nightgown who grabbed a sword off the wall and challenged Jean-Louis.

Although Jean-Louis had a rapier, he had only fought untrained street ruffians like himself, and had an entirely unjustified high opinion of his own fencing skills. Drawing his sword and attacking, he was astounded to be:
1) parried,
2) sidestepped,
3) swatted on the butt with the flat of the blade, and
4) admonished to "Point your toe forward, don't lean over, hold the pommel up, keep your point on line, don't telegraph your blows."

Jean-Louis had no idea what was going on, and charged again, with similar results. This time he was told that he had managed to combine the elegance of a plough horse with the killer instinct of a milk cow. After the next pass, the man screamed, "Point your foot at me, fool!" Rather to his own surprise, Jean-Louis did. For the next five minutes, he was subjected to his first fencing lesson, at two in the morning, in a house he'd broken into, from a man in a nightgown.

It broke up when Jean-Louis's stomach rumbled. The fencing master asked him when he'd last eaten, and Jean-Louis said three days ago. (A flat lie -- he'd had a perfectly good crust of bread a day and a half ago. But street urchins always say they haven't eaten in three days, even when they're hopelessly overstuffed.)

The master fed him, and asked many questions. (Maítre Francis Toquin is involved in politics, and was frankly wondering which of his enemies had sent so hopelessly incompetent an assassin.) Deciding that Jean-Louis was too foolish to be a spy, the fencing master offered to teach him at the Toquin Fencing School. Several years later (at the start of his adventures), Jean-Louis is an assistant at the school, and has the friendship of the master.

TurtleKing
2011-11-18, 03:09 PM
Wonderful wonderful loving it. Loving several of the concepts. Might take a few and change them up a bit should I find a campaign.

Got another one in the making. This is for a silly campaign so rolled for class and race coming up with a Female Shifter Marshal who fights with her "claws". Actually going to build with using Spiked Gauntlets so got to look up how to build for that. As for personality I'll give you a hint. She has blonde hair and used to live in a valley. Like oh my god yea.

Strawberries
2011-11-18, 03:26 PM
I have a banshee, that I would very much like to play again. She was homebrewed so as to be toned down a lot from the one in the MM: I didn't want a powerful character, I just wanted to play a banshee. Unfortunately that campaign died...:smallfrown:

Anyway, she was a human woman in life, that was used and betrayed by a human lord, who killed her where the liaison become a burden for him. She come back as a vengeful spirit, and haunted him to his grave. After his death, she turned to his family and descendents...this went on for a couple hundred years, till something happened. One day she saw one of the members of the family she haunted going down the same path she had in life (being used and discarded at some higborn's convenience) and realized the debt was paid, and she should direct her hate to those that really deserved it now, in the present, not some young girl whose only sin was sharing blood with a long dead murderer. The next day, a young noble was found horribly killed, with an horrified expression frozen on his face, and an ancient family started telling tales of a curse that had been lifted...

I really wanted to play an undead character, and I really, really did not want to be a vampire. The fun thing of the character is that you can play her as being so twisted and detached from humanity that she remembes her life and the tie after her death only in uncoherent flashes...but she isn't an evil spirit. Maybe once she was, but not after her realization. So you have a murderous and half-crazy ghost needing to do soul-searching to understand her role in unlife. Fun concept to explore. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2011-11-19, 01:18 AM
here's a character I never got to use (made for a mecha game or two)

Lt. Hisako Fukushima (paraphrased background)
Hisako is a Mecha pilot and mechanic from the inner city of Neo Tokyo. She grew up working on cars and motorcycles up until she graduated high school, then she went to college studying mechanics and engineering. After school, she joined the military because economic depression hit very hard and jobs were hard to find.
She’s a bit spunky and notoriously honest. Even to the point of insulting her superiors. Naturally this has actually held back her career, which is why she’s stuck as a lieutenant, her talent for keeping the military’s mechs from falling apart keeps her from being busted down further. She's a bit overprotective of the mechs under her care, and doesn't mind yelling at "careless" pilots that smash up "her" mechs. She’s a bit of a packrat and her room looks like a machine shop with a bed in it.

Vixsor Lumin
2011-11-19, 03:33 AM
I just thought of this one, he's based off of the songs crazy people and scarecrow, both by rhab. He's a human face rouge CE but not insane (as the thread name gave me the idea to make him) his earliest memories are from an orphanage where he lived until he was seven, they told him that his parents had died. However one night he overheard the administrators talking about how his parents had simply abandoned him. He couldn't understand how anyone could throw away their on child, so he ran away to find the truth.

After 4 years of searching and living on the streets stealing to survive, he found them. With a smile on his face he told them how he knew they didn't abandon him, and waited to hear their explanation. His father beat him while his mother cried but did nothing. As he lay in the gutter broken and bleeding his father spit on him and told him, "I left you at that orphanage because I knew you would be weak. I'm ashamed of you and will never call you my son." From that point on he knew he was alone in life. He didn't go mad but something broke inside him.

He felt abandoned by the world and the only poeple who had showed him any kindness had lied to him for years. A quote from him after he was in his twenties, "they say do unto others as you would have them do unto you, right? Well I've taken it upon myself to treat the world the way the way it has treated me :smallamused: Like. Dirt. Not even worth being scraped off of an empty boot."

Later he is going to take ranks in sorceror (sp?) in order to use the arcane to exact more pain from his enemies. If you've read the night angel trilogy, he's a roth ursuul type character. I haven't gotten to play him :p like I said I thought him up today in about 30 mins.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: hes taking ranks in necromancy not sorc

Brauron
2011-11-19, 06:57 AM
My favorite character, and the one I was able to use the longest, was Varus Sellsword, a CG Human Duskblade in a 3.5 campaign. He was hopelessly vain and preening, with a big letter "V" on the hilt of his sword, on his breastplate, belt buckle, etc. Just absolutely full of himself. His primary motivation for adventuring was the money -- I brought the table to a stand-still when he learned our primary quest was a save-the-world type, and commented "These sorts of things are always not-for-profit." Money or not, however, he always came through in the end.

Ason
2011-11-22, 02:49 AM
My favorite was in a short 4e campaign, when I finally played the arcane version of :thog:. I play in fairly optimized circles, so this rare 4e game let me dump Intelligence with fewer worries than normal, and I played a sorcerer who was essentially a chaotic (good), spell-chucking Forrest Gump. Referring to yourself in the third person while altering the laws of physics for your own amusement? Baffling to NPC onlookers and priceless for my gamer friends. Ah... good times.

I'm still trying to convince my friends to play an all Warforged Bard party, where every PC gets the Firesouled template for free (3.5). What would that mean? No default Charisma penalties (nice for bards), but more importantly, you're metal-playing, metal-covered monstrosities who spew fire. Ideally, this campaign would be a battle across Hell and the Abyss, 'cause that'd be SO METAL! :smallbiggrin:

From my more serious campaigns, I still really want to play this Pathfinder sorcerer who tries to convince everyone else he's a wizard. Essentially, his father impregnated his mother by some evil/other worldly being (she doesn't know it wasn't him), but when the sorcerer found out as a young boy that he wasn't his father's biological son, he assumed his mom had an affair. Burning with shame over his ancestry, the now adult bluffs those around him to convince them he's a wizard, not a "freak" sorcerer, and he journeys to discover what he actually is, find/confront his illicit father and restore his mother's honor. When that character eventually finds out his human father was responsible for his unnatural condition (and his mom innocent)... oh man, that would be fun to roleplay. [My inspiration was actually :xykon:, but instead of being bitter against wizards, I was curious what a sorcerer jealous of them might be like.]

Black_Zawisza
2011-11-22, 03:48 AM
Lesser Tiefling Archivist/Malconvoker. His demonic ancestry grants him remarkable power over his summoned minions. Well-intentioned, but his favorite maxim is "knowledge is power", and he lusts after both.

Bluepaw
2011-11-23, 12:41 AM
A couple of twin-concepts I've used (often better as NPCs, but as we well know, a PC's twin can be a great villain or handy ace in the hole):

Two halfling rangers running a smuggling operation - one lives in the country and is a beastmaster with a boar for a companion, the other in the city as a streetwise crossbowed marauder type. I always wanted to have them be able to switch places, but this would probably require a more innocuous animal companion...

Human sisters, street buskers, an illusionist wizard and a bard; they might be homeless or nomadic, or con operators, or spies for the king, or just about anything...I just like the combo of visual and auditory enchantment.

And my favorites, by far the weirdest, were a pair of rogue wizard/artificers in an Eberron game -- one was a "Carbomancer," and had enchantments letting him manipulate elements in the carbon column (organic material, sand & glass, lead, loads of fun stuff there), buff and covered in tattoos, shaved head, carried a lead pipe for a wand; the other was a Chronomancer, skipping back and forth in everyone else's timestream like rewinding or fast forwarding just one character in a movie, wearing goggles, bright blue parachute pants, and a giant clock around his neck (think a tribrid of Dr Horrible, Flava Flav, and Princess Jasmine)...

Prime32
2011-11-23, 12:59 PM
My idea for one hasn't seen play. A half elf wizard who was ridiculed for his half breed satus as a child. The only way he found to stop it was by learning to use the arcane to put down the bullies who were stronger than him physically. No one bothered him again until he began adventuring and met people stronger than him who wouldn't be intimdated. His solution? Gain as much power as he could so no one could ever hurt him again. The next logical step from being a powerful wizard is to become a god. He's not an evil character, and doesn't use his power to specifically hurt others, he just wants people to be so intimidated they don't even try so he can focus on doing what he deems is the best use of his time. This could be anything from reasearching new spells, or building a super death weapon, to rebuilding a lost city or raising the orphan he one day hoped to adopt.Ever watched/read To Aru Majutsu no Index? There's a character who's practically identical.

Vixsor Lumin
2011-11-23, 02:36 PM
Ever watched/read To Aru Majutsu no Index? There's a character who's practically identical.

No I haven't hahaha, is that an anime? I'm not a big anime guy

Troldepuss
2011-11-27, 03:31 PM
This idea is for an upcomming pathfinder campaign run by a friend of mine.

He who is found but still lost. An elven wizard who finds himself struggling to keep his sanity. A brilliant arcanist but with his mind all jumbled up. Not ever really knowing where he came from, but still knowing who he is and of what he is capable of. A wizard's mind is always hectic for those who do not know the arts, but if your own mind begins to become more hazy and distorted how do you keep the mind in check? How can you know that you are, if you do not know from what you came. How do you act, if you know that you're insane?
If arcane mysteries are easy comprehend, how can you then not know what your last name used to be?
How does the insane keep their sanity?

The idea with this character is to have a set specific concept, but with an open past build around amnesia/dementia that the DM/GM can do with what he wants.
This concept though requires, in my opponion, a set of rather specific stats (like that stats im going with: 20 intelligence (+2 because of elf) and 6 wisdom).

DoctorGlock
2011-11-27, 04:42 PM
hmmmmmm, most of mine were from games that were aborted far before they got interesting

Lesser Aasimar/Half Celestial Holy Warrior (PF cleric ACF): Starts LG but eventually becomes disillusioned after seeing all the suffering in the world and wars carried out in the name of good gods. Casts aside his faith and temple in order to lead a war on his god to show the world that justice has no limits. Gradually was supposed to become more and more of a complete monster over the game as he is willing to stop at nothing to literally drag his god out of the heavens and kill him.

Why it failed: DM decided he didn't want to run a serious game, rerolled an insane artificer.

Caius Faustus: Human Warlock/Binder/Ur-Priest/Eldritch Disciple- The ultimate nihilist and narcissist, Caius was noble born but lost everything early due to a legal setup by rival senators against his father in a roman-like setting. He worked his way into their good graces and knocked them off one by one before being discovered and needing to flee. He now lives only for revenge against the entire nation that wronged him and cares nothing for anyone in his way.

Why is failed: DM "got bored" of his own game.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-27, 04:47 PM
Half Orc trying to find his father, his HUMAN father. He believes him to be an important NPC. Whether this is true or not, I leave an exercise to the player and DM.