PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ranger Enemy List

kayden87
2011-11-16, 11:53 PM
Is there another list of favored enemies for the ranger other than the PHB?
Or are those the only choices you can get.

gbprime
2011-11-16, 11:57 PM
Use your imagination, clear it with the DM.

For example, John McClane (the Bruce Willis character in the Die Hard movies) has as his first favored enemy "Terrorists". :smallamused:

kayden87
2011-11-17, 12:13 AM
Heh, So I guess with no DM here at the moment, Just w/e is on the List then :P

gbprime
2011-11-17, 12:31 AM
Well even the printed alternate rules require a DM ruling. For example, the Urban Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana...

At the game master's discretion, an urban ranger may select an organization instead of a creature type as his favored enemy. For example, a character might select a particular thieves' guild, merchant house, or even the city guard. The favored enemy bonuses would apply to all members of the chosen organization, regardless of their creature type or subtype.

Draz74
2011-11-17, 12:32 AM
The Stalker of Kharash PrC (BoED) lets you choose "evil things" as a favored enemy. An Alternate Class Feature (CM) lets you choose "arcanists" as a favored enemy. Racial substitution levels (RotW) let you choose "servants of Lolth" as a favored enemy if you are an elf. The Slayer PrC (XPH) lets you choose a specific type of [psionic] monster as a favored enemy (which is strictly inferior to the original menu of choices, blech).

Godskook
2011-11-17, 03:09 AM
Thing is, the list in the PHB was completely comprehensive. To my knowledge, there's not any other types/sub-types out there. All you'd get out of increased selection is either:

A)Better synergy with the type of enemy you're facing(such as FE: Arcanist)

B)Better/worse choices(such as FE: Evil on a LG paladin for better or FE: skeletons for a worse one).

And outside Swift Hunter builds, I'm not sure it really even matters all that much, since there's so many easier ways to stack damage than FE bonuses.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-11-17, 07:18 AM
Thing is, the list in the PHB was completely comprehensive. To my knowledge, there's not any other types/sub-types out there. All you'd get out of increased selection is either:

A)Better synergy with the type of enemy you're facing(such as FE: Arcanist)

B)Better/worse choices(such as FE: Evil on a LG paladin for better or FE: skeletons for a worse one).

And outside Swift Hunter builds, I'm not sure it really even matters all that much, since there's so many easier ways to stack damage than FE bonuses.

Actually Humanoid(shapechanger) is absent, this covers things like changelings and shifters from the Eberron campaign setting, along with most lycanthropes.

kayden87
2011-11-17, 06:16 PM
yeah Might have to take the 1 level dip for getting "evil" things as a FE

And I took the variant to get FE against Arcane Spell casters. which is AMAZING BY THE WAY.

Oh, your an evil wizard? your screwed!