PDA

View Full Version : First time gnome druid

The Succubus
2011-11-17, 06:15 AM
Howdy,

I'm hoping to weasel my way into another 3.5 PbP (with a little more success this time I hope :smallwink:) and I'm currently thinking about trying a druid. It caught my attention that birds can be a druid's companion and my thoughts then turned to the idea, "Is there any way I could have a flying mount?"

Looking through the d20srd, I see that a forest gnome might fit the bill, especially if I go with a caster based druid rather than a melee focus. What I don't know is if an Eagle has sufficient size to carry a forest gnome. If not, are there any birds that might be able to do the job while still being able to be classed as a druid companion?

LordBlades
2011-11-17, 06:22 AM
Regardless of size, an eagle can't carry you because it's also small. A mount must be at least 1 size larger than the rider.

The Succubus
2011-11-17, 06:26 AM
Ah, was afraid that might be the case.

Hmmm, in that case, I might go with a standard gnome and save myself the +3LA headache and just use an eagle normally. At level 4, when I get the option to exchange my animal companion for something different, could a flying mount be a feasible option then?

LordBlades
2011-11-17, 06:31 AM
Ah, was afraid that might be the case.

Hmmm, in that case, I might go with a standard gnome and save myself the +3LA headache and just use an eagle normally. At level 4, when I get the option to exchange my animal companion for something different, could a flying mount be a feasible option then?

I wouldn't bother with a flying mount at level 4. Starting from level 5 you can turn yourself into something flying.

Darrin
2011-11-17, 06:33 AM
It caught my attention that birds can be a druid's companion and my thoughts then turned to the idea, "Is there any way I could have a flying mount?"

Looking through the d20srd, I see that a forest gnome might fit the bill, especially if I go with a caster based druid rather than a melee focus. What I don't know is if an Eagle has sufficient size to carry a forest gnome.

No. In order to comfortably ride a mount, the mount should be at least one size category larger than the rider. For a small-sized character, this means you'll need a medium-sized mount.

An eagle is small, so the rider would have to be tiny-sized. There are two tiny-sized races with no level adjustment: Jermlaine (MM2) and Muckdweller (Serpent Kingdoms). Kobolds might also be able to treat themselves as tiny due to their Slight Build feature (see the RotD Web Enhancement). However, this isn't an "opposed roll", so that may be more of a DM's call.

The first large-sized flier available as an animal companion is the Dire Bat at 4th, but that's more appropriately sized for medium-sized druids. Unfortunately, I believe the first medium-sized flying creature that's available as an animal companion is a Dire Hawk (RotW), which can be taken as an animal companion at 7th (Raptoran Druids can take it at 4th). I think you can drop this to 4th with Natural Bond.

The best option is probably Kobold + Eagle, assuming the DM agrees to treat the Kobold as tiny while mounted.

The Succubus
2011-11-17, 06:48 AM
Seems a little complex for me - I just plan on sticking with d20 and core books (PH,DMG,MM). With Wild Shape, can you choose different forms or is it a case of "you've picked this, now youre stuck with it"? I.e., I could wildshape into an eagle one day and a bear the next day?

LordBlades
2011-11-17, 07:04 AM
Seems a little complex for me - I just plan on sticking with d20 and core books (PH,DMG,MM). With Wild Shape, can you choose different forms or is it a case of "you've picked this, now youre stuck with it"? I.e., I could wildshape into an eagle one day and a bear the next day?

Yeah. You can choose a different form every time you use it. The only restriction the rules put on wildshape is that

The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with.

It's up for the DM to decide what constitutes familiar because the books don't give further details on that. If it's only core books, you might be short of any medium flying animal to wildshape into though,s o you might need to wait until level 8 to fly(when you get wildshape:large).

The Succubus
2011-11-17, 07:13 AM
:smallconfused:

Could I not wildshape into the same form as my animal companion? For example, if I'd sent my eagle/hawk to investigate a place, the bird finds something and then I fly up to take a look?

Pilo
2011-11-17, 07:45 AM
It is possible to ride an eagle as a gnome because they can grow to M form when they get 2 or 3 HD.

You may ask your DM to allow you to get a M-sized eagle.
Maybe at level 1, maybe at level 4 with a -3 druid level regarding your compagnon class feature.

you can wildshape into your animal compagnon, it is probably the animal you will be the more familiar with.

Darrin
2011-11-17, 08:10 AM
It is possible to ride an eagle as a gnome because they can grow to M form when they get 2 or 3 HD.

Doesn't work. Extra hit dice from animal companion/special mount class features do not increase the size of your companion or mount.

And yes, while many "advanced" animals increase their size as their HD increases, these are not "typical" animals and thus aren't available as animal companions.

However... there may be a loophole, if your DM is willing to allow it. Increasing an eagle's HD to 2 will increase it's size to medium. The Warbeast template (MM2) can be applied to animal companions, and it does increase the HD by +1. So... buy a Warbeast Eagle (2HD = 100 GP) as your animal companion, or train it yourself for 14 months (0 GP).

erikun
2011-11-17, 09:57 AM
Could I not wildshape into the same form as my animal companion?
Yes, you can. The "must be familiar with it" means that the Druid must be familiar with a specific animal to wildshape into it. For example, the Druid could not wildshape into a dinosaur if dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years and are no longer around. If they are wandering around everywhere in your general campaign, though, they the Druid would probably be familiar with them and have no problems wildshaping into one.

killem2
2011-11-17, 12:59 PM
What if you asked your DM if you could possibly make it a goal to take your pet eagle to some wizard in a far off land, who might be able to cast a permanent enlargement spell on it or something :D

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-17, 01:07 PM
As a level 4 druid, you can ride on your Dire Bat, which is a large creature and can carry a medium or smaller creature. As a level 5 druid, you can wild shape into an Eagle, a Dire Hawk (races of the wild), or a Desmodu Hunting Bat (monster manual II) and fly places yourself. At level 6, you can cast while turned into any creatures, because you got the feat Natural Spell. Also, there are several ways to communicate while in the form of an animal (several magic items, including a core one -- it's in the cursed item section of the DMG or SRD), so by level 8, you never have to be outside a wild shape form should you not wish to be. And you automatically have access to all wild shape forms in the campaign. Remember that knowing about any animal is DC 10+HD knowledge nature check, and you can take 10 on Knowledge Nature. And of course you are putting lots of ranks into that skill, right?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0