PDA

View Full Version : What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

PrinceOfMadness
2011-11-17, 02:16 PM
Pretty much the title. At the table, as a player or as a DM, what are your greatest strengths and weaknesses? I'll start:

As a player:

Strengths: Thinking outside the box, and being able to act how my character would without metagaming it.

Weaknesses: Roleplaying - I don't have trouble getting inside my character's mind, just acting out properly

As a DM:

Strengths: Working with my players, keeping the game fun and exciting

Weaknesses: Inability to put my foot down - as I said, I like to work with my players, and sometimes when RAW/RAI conflicts with what my players thought it was, I let it slide.

Morithias
2011-11-17, 02:29 PM
As a player

Extremely Genre Savvy have basically memorized the tv tropes website.

Weakness: Ever hear of a thing called "Wrong genre savvy"

As a DM

Urban environments. Specialize in their creation an running.

Weakness: Dungeons and Puzzles. Traps don't work in urban areas so i'm not used to them.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-17, 02:55 PM
Strength: I powergame very potent characters.

Weakness: I don't take things seriously and most of my PCs are comical in backstory and execution.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-17, 03:23 PM
As a player:

Strengths: I'm that player you've always dreamt of, the one that's actually really interested in your settings, finds reasons to follow your plot hooks and interacts and respects your NPCs. I am also a team player first and foremost and I work towards making sure everyone is having fun.

Weaknesses: I am extremely touchy about what I perceive to be "mine." I expect you to respect my freedom of choice when it comes to permanent, irreversible changes to my character and his possessions, and to a lesser extent, his loved ones and backstory NPCs. I have a habit of leaving at the first sign of "this isn't fun anymore" and I do let disagreements get in the way of my relationships.

As a GM:

Strengths: I am not the DM who makes it all about himself. When I DM, it's all about you. I work my ass off to make sure you're having the best game I can possibly give you.

Weaknessess: I burn out so fast I've actually decided not to DM anymore, save very, very specific exceptions where there's no other choice.

valadil
2011-11-17, 03:24 PM
Valadil the Player
Strengths I can have fun in any type of game. As long as the GM communicates the type of game to me and lets me play the right kind of character I'll have fun with pure combat, pure roleplay, or something else entirely.
I'm a capable powergamer but aim to have a power level equal to the rest of the party.

Weaknesses I don't deal well with GMs who don't communicate well. If I'm required to write a backstory and then the game ends up being all combat, I'll get irritated.
I have a low tolerance for poor conduct from other players.
I don't always give the GM proper feedback.

Valadil the GM
Strengths I value player plot higher than my own plot.
I can run absurd numbers of plots at the same time.
I pay attention to the bored players and try to throw them something interesting.
I've been called the least adversarial GM many of my players have ever encountered.
I'm not a spotlight hog. If I can make my players do 90% of the talking in a session, I've done my job well.

Weaknesses

I burn out easily. 10 sessions is a good length for one of my campaigns. I've done much longer but I'm happiest doing a couple months at a time.
I don't act out NPCs very well.
I don't actually like running the table. Writing is fun, but running the game table is work.

MlleRouge
2011-11-17, 03:46 PM
Hm....

As a player:

Strength - I make excellent three-dimensional characters and role play well. I play well with others and like immersion.

Weakness - I am very, very picky about systems and settings. Which means I wind up bowing out of quite a few games.

As a DM:

Strength - Creating intricate plotlines and three-dimensional NPCs/believable societies. So, worldbuilding, I suppose :D

Weakness - This is oddly specific, but I almost always skip someone in initiative order at least once per combat...even when using things like initiative cards/etc. Why? Who knows.

Dungeon design is also very hard for me, since I don't like stuff to just 'be there'. WHY are there 18 billion random traps and riddles in this castle again? That kind of thing. I can still do them, but it takes ages since I feel the need to justify everything being there.

valadil
2011-11-17, 04:23 PM
This is oddly specific, but I almost always skip someone in initiative order at least once per combat...even when using things like initiative cards/etc. Why? Who knows.

Outsource it to a PC. Especially if you have a dominant PC who likes to be the center of attention. This will keep him busy and keep you from skipping someone.

navar100
2011-11-17, 06:40 PM
Player

Strength: System mastery to create competent characters and help others do the same. Now my fellow players don't even need my help at all.

Weakness: Difficulty in taking in character risks. I can do it, but I have to struggle with myself to make the decision. Since previous campaign I have been making the extra effort to improve this.

DM

Strength: My one-shot adventures for conventions are the bomb. I have several I've run over the years players have a blast playing. Interesting plots, good roleplay opportunities, engaging combats.

Weakness: Ability to maintain a campaign. I'm impatient with myself to play out long term plans for BBEGs. Players and sometimes even myself lose interest in long terms goals. I don't DM often. I'm fine with just being a player, but if I do have the opportunity to run a campaign again I'll use a published module to help me keep focus.

Valameer
2011-11-17, 09:41 PM
DM

Strength: Becoming many different characters, and bringing NPCs to life. Having creative ideas for campaigns. Describing the moment well, and giving the players a sense of immersion.

But especially how I act NPCs. Men, women, transgendered, old, young, ugly, beautiful, vile or pure. I can bring it across. Which is weird, because I'm actually really boring as myself. Look, I don't even have an avatar.

Weakness: Sticking to a campaign. I get bored the instant I see where it's going. If my players are predictable, I... just can't stay focused. I'm really, really terrible at this.

Thus, my DMing style allows me to pull off better organic sand-box style campaigns, whereas I fail hard at pre-derived plots.

Badgerish
2011-11-18, 09:38 AM
player strengths:
great rules knowledge
makes powerful, adaptable, reliable characters with decent personalities/backstories
pays attention and gets involved in the game
acts in character, but moderates it to keep the party together and the game running
brings stuff (minis, extra paper, extra dice, coloured rubber bands for mini-marking, init-keeping board, battlemat)

player weakness:
can be too assertive
can be not assertive enough
occasionally preempts the GM on rules calls (really, really trying to stop this)
can be a bit demanding (due to being involved in the game)

GM strengths:
great rules knowledge
great at running interesting encounters
good at writing realistic and fleshed out NPCs
okay at talking as NPCs
pays attention to the players/characters and tries to keep them involved
can modify things on the fly as situations change
brings stuff (minis, extra paper, extra dice, coloured rubber bands for mini-marking, init-keeping board, battlemat)

GM weakness:
poor pacing (my current campaign is running long at 65 sessions)
not 100% behind player plans when they would totally invalidate encounters/plots
my combats tend towards being too big and complicated
I occasionally forget some NPC abilities (I'm getting better)
I occasionally forget to have NPCs talk/react that much in combat
poor at doing full-improv
Lazy :( I'm running a session every other week and still often have to rush to get things ready on the day before

A note on assertiveness. I'm not naturally an assertive person, always been quiet. After spending far too long not getting anything done due to lack of assertiveness, I began to fake it to move things on. Over time I have greatly improved my act, but it's still an act and sometimes it is applied incorrectly.

starwoof
2011-11-18, 09:55 AM
starwoof the Player
Strengths: I naturally fall into a leadership role. I am a very enthusiastic roleplayer. I'm pretty good at getting into my character's head. I try to make sure everyone is having fun.

Weaknesses: Sometimes I get mad and start to attempt to break other player/characters. I complain a lot about stuff that I see as having been 'taken' from me. My DM won't let me play a hellfire warlock anymore and that makes me angry. Sometimes I let power go to my head, to the detriment of all.

starwoof the DM
Strengths: I tend to have spent a lot of time on my worlds. I am pretty good at thinking up mysteries and puzzles. I am fully capable of running a 9 hour session from the seat of my pants as long as I have enough caffeine.

Weaknesses: Sometimes I'm not restricting enough and the flavor of the game suffers. I have a lot of trouble running long campaigns. I don't do enough preparation. I would much much rather be a player.

Mastikator
2011-11-18, 10:20 AM
As a player
Strengths:
I roleplay well, I never metagame.
I can make interesting complex believable characters.
I tend to get encyclopedic knowledge of the game system, and I can use this to easily make powerful characters.
I tend to make characters that are appropriately powerful.
I can be an important engaged player without hogging the spotlight.

Weaknesses:
Sometimes I get inhibited and that makes me not play at all.
I tend to make less than sympathetic characters, resulting in in-fighting and intrigue in the party.
Kryptonite

As a DM
Strengths:
I make really good NPCs, they tend to be believable, interesting and memorable.
I can make long term plots that involve a series of short term plots, that don't seem contrived.
I only railroad as much as the players lack direction (sometimes not even that)

Weaknesses:
I don't prepare anything, I think a lot about it but I pretty much write nothing down.
If I don't check myself I become a killer DM.

DrBurr
2011-11-18, 10:43 AM
Player
Strengths

I attempt to remember all the Important NPCs the DM has created
I make intelligent informed decisions, which usually involves going down a DMs planned route
I like having interesting Encounters with goals besides -Kill 5 Goblins

Weaknesses

If I ever feel entitled to something I tend to get confrontational when its taken from me, or never let it go
I can't seem to play Lawful characters, whenever I try I always end up being a Pirate or something, On the Flip side if try to make Chaotic Characters, My character comes off as a Jerk

DM
Strengths

I enjoy writing and acting out the campaign for my players and then using their actions to structure the next few weeks
I love to build encounters that utilize certain players who don't stick out to much or that require my players make a plan

Weaknesses

I have a procrastinating problem with actually writing the campaign
I think I might be railroading my players a little when I refuse to let them do something because it could wipe out their characters by either stating Are You Sure Questions? or Asking my brother what he'd do, because he usually agrees with my routes and can convince usually two of the other players
I suck at naming locations and Npcs but when I do I can get a little touchy when my players only call the The Grand Sage Atares, That Old Guy or the Wizard

Jay R
2011-11-18, 11:06 AM
Hmmmm...

I spent a lot of time thinking about this, about my strengths at characterization, simulation and concern for things not directly mentioned, and about my weaknesses of detailed rules application, and occasional distraction from the main point. I eventually reduced it to the following:

Greatest strength as a DM: I never lose sight of the goal of simulating human interaction, rather than merely following a set of rules.

Greatest weakness as a DM: I never lose sight of the goal of simulating human interaction, rather than merely following a set of rules.

Greatest strength as a player: I never lose sight of the goal of simulating human interaction, rather than merely following a set of rules.

Greatest weakness as a player: I never lose sight of the goal of simulating human interaction, rather than merely following a set of rules.

Warlawk
2011-11-18, 11:44 AM
As a player:

Strengths: I'm that player you've always dreamt of, the one that's actually really interested in your settings, finds reasons to follow your plot hooks and interacts and respects your NPCs. I am also a team player first and foremost and I work towards making sure everyone is having fun.

Weaknesses: I am extremely touchy about what I perceive to be "mine." I expect you to respect my freedom of choice when it comes to permanent, irreversible changes to my character and his possessions, and to a lesser extent, his loved ones and backstory NPCs. I have a habit of leaving at the first sign of "this isn't fun anymore" and I do let disagreements get in the way of my relationships.

As a GM:

Strengths: I am not the DM who makes it all about himself. When I DM, it's all about you. I work my ass off to make sure you're having the best game I can possibly give you.

Weaknessess: I burn out so fast I've actually decided not to DM anymore, save very, very specific exceptions where there's no other choice.

Holy crap... are you me? I'm not so bad about leaving or letting disagreements get in the way, my gaming group has had the same core of players for 15-20 years and we're good friends, but the rest is pretty much spot on.

Totally Guy
2011-11-18, 12:15 PM
As a player I am proactive in pursuing the parts of the game that interest me and communicating intent that to group.

I become instantly disconnected from the game when I feel that I don't matter and I often keep a look out for things I consider bad GM practices.

As a GM I am very good at keeping the game challenging in interesting and dynamic ways. I always know what the player wants to happen if they succeed a dice roll and I know what I can do should they fail. In certain games I'll even tell the players first.

As a GM I get frustrated and lost when players tell me "My character regards these things/concepts as really important" and then stops regarding that thing as important when I threaten it. I also focus on my failures far more than my successes which is a bad habit generally.

Rorrik
2011-11-18, 12:39 PM
As a Player

Strength: I'm an avid puzzle solver and creatively find shortcuts I might use in reality

Weakness: Lose interest if I have to search for obscure facts or fight repetitive foes and cease to participate.

As a DM

Strength: Create vast worlds with unlimited content and developed cultures and complex original dungeons nestled beneath it all.

Weakness: Lack of dramatic development and opportunity for role playing. There are so many side quests the players lose track of what they should be doing and I inevitably feel like I need to push them in the right direction before the time crunch catches them unprepared. (I believe in the bad guys having a build timeline and plan, if the players allow the bad guy to distract them, they could be hard pressed to escape the wrath of the enemy.)

Snowbluff
2011-11-18, 12:57 PM
As a player:
Str
-Powerful builds.
-Good Knowledge base.
-Not a bad roller.
-I won't use the worst tricks I know to break a game.
-I don't sacrifice roleplaying in favor of meta or power gaming.
-Capable of cooperating in a group, and I tend not to withhold any information from my group.
Weaknesses
-Bad at maintaining balance. My toons tend to far overpower the others.
-Unnatural fear and hate of monks.
-Rules Lawyer.
-Suspicious of DM trustworthiness.

As a DM:
Str
-Fluid plot progression, based on the players actions.
-Supports player backstory.
-Offers wide range of material for use.
-Unnatural fear and hate of monks.
-Loves refluffing GRI
Weaknesses
-Fluid plots tend to get derailed quickly.
-I don't handle Chaotic Stupid, I tend to leave disciplining moron characters to the other players.
-Lots of stuff gets winged in my campaigns, but not so much you won't notice me being unprepared.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-18, 02:04 PM
Holy crap... are you me? I'm not so bad about leaving or letting disagreements get in the way, my gaming group has had the same core of players for 15-20 years and we're good friends, but the rest is pretty much spot on.

That's stunning, actually, since I've never heard of anyone with a similar playstyle to mine (much less here in these forums). Good to hear that, though!

I tend to burn through friends pretty swiftly. I make 'em easily and I lose 'em just as fast.

The Reverend
2011-11-18, 02:45 PM
Reverend the player

Strengths- Fantastic roleplaying, my dms regularly just skip the roll for my character if I'm the party face or I'm assisting another character in a situation. If playing in a Sci fi setting I'm so good at mixing and matching tech I'm not allowed to be an engineering or brainy builder character leat I make the rest of the party extraneous. One dm said " its like having a 14 lvl wizard tag along in my 4th level party. Stop technologying all thel problems away!!! Yes your doing it by the rules!!!". I will always work with the party to make it better, unless one the other players is roleplaying a turdy character or one of the opposite alignment and flagrently is so in front if my character......then I might fight or kill him, done it before I'll do it again. If your plots stupid i will derail it with all my dicey might. I am an amazing bull ****ter.

Weaknesses - see above and yea some of those are also weaknesses. Im always a little fuzzy on "rules", but i make great rule"rules" cheat sheets.

Reverend as a DM

Strengths- my decisions always come with an story filled explanation i almost never pull DM fiat. Deus ex yes but there reason for it. My story lines will be awesome and everyone will get a chance in the spotlight. I will work with players concepts, story lines, and character builds. My world building is great. I would make the best Mage the ascension DM you ever had. My grasp of fluff is phenomenal . My villains are awesome.

Weaknesses- i dont prepare written stuff too well either. My grasp of "rules" are not always optimal, but that's why i make such great cheat sheets. I tend to give my players too much leaway and freedom and Schwag.