PDA

View Full Version : Help me optimize this raygun

Yorae
2011-11-17, 04:06 PM
A literal raygun. As in, a gun that fires rays.

I'm working on an idea for a PF Spellslinger (wizard, but fires spells from a gun) / Spellwarp Sniper / Recaster.
(With a one level rogue dip qualify for Spellwarp and also pick up some bonus trapfinding. My fluff has this character as an engineer-type, so being able to disable devices makes sense as well.)

I'm looking to see if anyone can offer some additional optimization pointers for this - here's what I've got so far:

Spellslinger's Arcane gun has the very interesting property of increasing the critical multiplier for spell that you cast through it to x3. This seems to be a really unique property and those could be some BIG crits.

My DM has ruled that, if I pick up Hunter's Mercy (SpC), I can use it with my musket, even though it says it normally functions for bows.

Now, once I pick up Hunter's Mercy with Recaster's Expanded Learning, then apply Extend Spell to it, it qualifies to be quickened by Metamorphic Spell (Time), grabbing me three auto-crits / day reasonably early.

I figure later in the build I can pick up some combination of Quicken / Easy Metamagic / Arcane Thesis more uses of quickened Hunter's Mercy at a modest enough spell adjustment.

I'm considering Craven + Telling Blow as well so that I get some SA damage on top of those crits. Maybe pick up Hunter's Eye as my second Recaster spell for more SA damage later, but is it really worth it if I can't persist it? I guess if I'm picking up Extend, I could pick up Persist and cast it as an 8th.

Any pointers on increasing the crit fun here? I figure the best course of action is to increase the base damage of the spell (empower, maximize, and especially admixture) as much as possible, but is it also possible to further increase the critical multiplier somehow? Anything else that works well in conjunction with this?