PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Outsider

DonutBoy12321
2011-11-17, 06:57 PM
I know there are several ways to become an outsider. I am looking for ways to do it with prestige classes. Here are the ways I know of from class levels:
Monk 20 (no thanks)
Acolyte of the Skin 10 (meh)
Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 (spirit-binding, which could work for the concept)

What other ways are there?
Note: No LA races allowed.

Hirax
2011-11-17, 07:00 PM
Be a neraphim. LA+0 race, Planar Handbook.

Suddo
2011-11-17, 07:02 PM
Divine Crusader for 10 levels. May not be good enough but its note worthy.

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-17, 07:31 PM
Monk 20 doesn't actually turn you into an Outsider. You are only "treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects."

Rubik
2011-11-17, 07:35 PM
Ghostwalk ghosts are outsiders rather than undead, and they count as class levels.

They force you to take really crappy non-classes and disallow actual character classes, though, which is worse.

Little Brother
2011-11-17, 07:36 PM
Ritual of Vitality, or Wish, from Savage Species, depending on your DM and time available. Turn into any outsider of your choice(Read Nepharim, maybe a planetouched, or, if you are using the original magazine, not the compendium, Diabolus).

DonutBoy12321
2011-11-17, 07:37 PM
Monk 20 doesn't actually turn you into an Outsider. You are only "treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects."

Wow. I could have sworn it was transformation into an Outsider (native). There goes KotSS too.

Rubik
2011-11-17, 07:39 PM
The Otherworldly feat (from PGtF, IIRC) turns you into a native outsider, as well.

Coidzor
2011-11-17, 07:40 PM
They're fairly horrible, but, IIRC, Savage Species has some rituals for that.

hex0
2011-11-17, 07:47 PM
Examplar 10! ...for some reason.

Contemplative 10, iirc

sreservoir
2011-11-17, 07:47 PM
Wow. I could have sworn it was transformation into an Outsider (native). There goes KotSS too.

nope, KotSS still gives you outsider (native) because that's what it says. its reference to the monk perfect self makes no sense and implies that even the ToM writers didn't want to read the monk's class feature list, but.

FearlessGnome
2011-11-17, 07:59 PM
Divine Disciple: 5 level cleric-friendly PrC. Gives you any alignment subtypes compatible with the alignments of both you and your deity.

Taelas
2011-11-17, 08:06 PM
Easiest way is Otherworldly, by far. It's only one feat, which you would probably have needed to spend on prereqs for any PrC which did what you wanted anyway.

Skaven
2011-11-17, 08:30 PM
1, find a mud slaad
2, get bitten by mud slaad
3, voluntarily fail your save till transformation completes
4, ribbit in victory in your transformation into an outsider

Then you can go on a quest to find Masamune.

Reluctance
2011-11-17, 08:34 PM
Petitioners are outsiders, so all you have to do is die.

Rubik
2011-11-17, 08:35 PM
Petitioners are outsiders, so all you have to do is die.Don't forget an acorn of far travel so you can leave your plane at will.

Slipperychicken
2011-11-17, 09:50 PM
Petitioners are outsiders, so all you have to do is die.

Be an Exceptional Petitioner, so you keep your skills and feats. Worship Pun-Pun, God of Munchkins before you die.

Coidzor
2011-11-17, 10:48 PM
1, find a mud slaad

Mud Slaad retain their memories and class levels from what they're spawned from? :smallconfused:

Where are these beasties featured?

Skaven
2011-11-18, 12:03 AM
Fiend Folio I think.

Venger
2011-11-18, 01:13 AM
Mud Slaad retain their memories and class levels from what they're spawned from? :smallconfused:

Where are these beasties featured?

(mud slaad is on p157 of the fiend folio)

whenever something turns you into one of itself, unless it says you lose your memories/class lvls or whatever like a meenlock or a vargouille, then you don't. like an elan, or a vampire

1, find a mud slaad

wat

you are indeed technically correct

there's also an addendum about how you can summon them with a summon monster VI spell (dunno why you would, since he's hardly better than gargantuan centipede) so that takes care of the whole "find one" bit

you could always "charm monster" him into biting you and fail your save (for 7 days in a row) and then turn into a mud slaad

the question is why? they're terrible. I will give you that their fast healing is pretty cool, but beyond that, their abilities are pretty lame. the screech is only usable once a day and his save on cringe is too low to matter (even if it did, it doesn't do anything) and feigning death against most monsters won't stop them from eating you or what have you

what happens to their racial HD when you turn into one? do you suddenly get shunted 6 lvls up the CR ladder?

there are easier ways to take advantage of alter self abuse is what I'm saying.

unfortunately, since this is about chaotic derp frogs from the elemental plane of LOLRANDUMBness, I have no way of telling whether you were serious or not. if I missed the joke, my b

Coidzor
2011-11-18, 02:39 AM

whenever something turns you into one of itself, unless it says you lose your memories/class lvls or whatever like a meenlock or a vargouille, then you don't. like an elan, or a vampire

Indeed, but it's interesting because the rest of the Slaad either spawn from raw chaos or from erupting from another creature all chest-burster style and don't retain or gain any benefit from the host.

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-18, 07:18 AM
1, find a mud slaad

wat

you are indeed technically correct

there's also an addendum about how you can summon them with a summon monster VI spell (dunno why you would, since he's hardly better than gargantuan centipede) so that takes care of the whole "find one" bit

you could always "charm monster" him into biting you and fail your save (for 7 days in a row) and then turn into a mud slaad

the question is why? they're terrible. I will give you that their fast healing is pretty cool, but beyond that, their abilities are pretty lame. the screech is only usable once a day and his save on cringe is too low to matter (even if it did, it doesn't do anything) and feigning death against most monsters won't stop them from eating you or what have you

what happens to their racial HD when you turn into one? do you suddenly get shunted 6 lvls up the CR ladder?

there are easier ways to take advantage of alter self abuse is what I'm saying.

unfortunately, since this is about chaotic derp frogs from the elemental plane of LOLRANDUMBness, I have no way of telling whether you were serious or not. if I missed the joke, my b

You missed the joke. He was making a Chrono Trigger reference. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-11-18, 09:02 AM
Divine Agent (MotP) becomes an outsider too. It's 3.0 and sucks though.

There's also ways to become fey, aberrations, constructs, undead, or just get timeless body - these are listed in the Immortality handbook.

Urpriest
2011-11-18, 10:34 AM

Short of PAO, Elans don't retain their class levels. That's why first level elans exist.

Venger
2011-11-18, 11:09 AM
Short of PAO, Elans don't retain their class levels. That's why first level elans exist.
Orly? I did not know that, thanks. PaO into an elan would be kind of silly though, you don't get any of their abilities since they're all Su. I dunno if you get their long lifespan either. do you?

Divine Agent (MotP) becomes an outsider too. It's 3.0 and sucks though.

There's also ways to become fey, aberrations, constructs, undead, or just get timeless body - these are listed in the Immortality handbook.
one of my favourite handbooks

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

Elans are only "effectively" immortal though, so if your game goes on longer than a few thousand years, you'll have to make other arrangements.

You missed the joke. He was making a Chrono Trigger reference. :smallbiggrin:

I knew I was missing some kind of joke! :smallbiggrin: that's why I put the addendum, I knew someone would come in and explain it.

Indeed, but it's interesting because the rest of the Slaad either spawn from raw chaos or from erupting from another creature all chest-burster style and don't retain or gain any benefit from the host.

yes, but with the other slaadi, it explicitly says you lose your memories and class stuff, whereas it doesn't with a mud slaad

Psyren
2011-11-18, 11:14 AM
Elans are only "effectively" immortal though, so if your game goes on longer than a few thousand years, you'll have to make other arrangements.

Not sure what you mean here; they are definitely immortal (in the "what natural causes?" sense); This was clarified in the XPH errata.

Demonic_Spoon
2011-11-18, 11:16 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

If you are referring to the maximum age given in the XPH, this was later errated to no maximum age as seen here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight).

EDIT: Swordsaged, but I have a link.

Venger
2011-11-18, 11:27 AM
If you are referring to the maximum age given in the XPH, this was later errated to no maximum age as seen here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight).

EDIT: Swordsaged, but I have a link.

that is indeed what I was referring to. after reading the immortality handbook way back when, I looked up elans on the srd and couldn't find their ages so checked the xph, and assumed he meant 1000 + 10d% was good enough for most games (since he gives "effective" immortality in there too)

thanks for the update! I didn't know that they no longer had a maximum age, that's cool.

hydraa
2011-11-18, 05:25 PM
If you plane shift and stay, are you not then an outsider?

Also PHBII gives some info about race rebuilding.

hamishspence
2011-11-18, 05:35 PM
From the point of view of the people on that plane, you are Extraplanar. But you're still a (whatever it was you were on the Material Plane).

Psyren
2011-11-18, 05:55 PM
If you plane shift and stay, are you not then an outsider?

Being from another plane just gives you the Extraplanar subtype. Outsiders are specifically created from the fabric of their home plane.

hydraa
2011-11-18, 06:29 PM
Being from another plane just gives you the Extraplanar subtype. Outsiders are specifically created from the fabric of their home plane.

So, then human(oids) are not created of the dust of the material plane. :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-18, 06:32 PM
So, then human(oids) are not created of the dust of the material plane. :smallbiggrin:

Of course not. :smallconfused: