PDA

View Full Version : Epic Culinary Help

Deth Muncher
2011-11-18, 04:40 AM
Hay guise. I'm going to be making some cookies for a bake sale. But there not...uh, normal cookies. See, even off the bat they're not normal - they're going to be chocolate chip bacon cookies. But then my brain turned to a particular Canadian Youtube online cooking show, and I thought "Man. I needs ta add me summa that JACK DAGNELS to these cookies."

Which brings me to a quandry - how to I add the booze to the cookies in the correct portion that it will allow the cookies to still solidify, and also not taste like you're licking the inside of Harley Morenstein's mouth? (i.e. way too boozey) Since these are going to be sold to the public, I kinda feel like they should only have a hint of alcohol flavor - and theoretically, most of it should cook off in the baking. But how do I estimate how much to use?

For reference, the original recipe I was to be using is here. (http://cltampa.com/dailyloaf/archives/2010/02/18/candied-bacon-chocolate-chunk-cookies-recipe)

THAC0
2011-11-18, 01:00 PM
I'd take out the vanilla and try 1-2 teaspoons.

Fri
2011-11-20, 10:39 AM
And people use rum for cakes all the time anyway, so it's doable. Usually it's, about one or two spoons for a whole batter.

Eldan
2011-11-20, 10:48 AM
Alcohol rarely, if ever, evaporates completely in baking. That's more or less an urban myth.

Just saying.

Renegade Paladin
2011-11-20, 01:43 PM
Alcohol rarely, if ever, evaporates completely in baking. That's more or less an urban myth.

Just saying.
Hi. I'm a professional baker, and I have to say I have never, ever seen anyone get drunk off my sourdough, even though the dough is fermented to Hell and gone and people can't stop eating it. :smalltongue:

Tirian
2011-11-20, 02:20 PM
And vanilla extract is like 70 proof.

I'm with THAC0 -- try a batch just substituting it in for the vanilla and tinker from there.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-21, 12:51 PM
General consensus - replace vanilla with Jack Dagnels. I can do that.

Also, re: alcohol baking off - I'm not entirely sure. I know I've pretty well never gotten drunk off of rum cakes, with the possible exception of this past weekend - but I think the rumcake was also soaked in rum, so it doesn't count. Also I was drinking mead. So the data is skewed, obviously.

I'll be making them tonight, so I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow.

Deth Muncher
2011-11-22, 01:35 PM
Just so you know, the cookies turned out amazing. Apparently, candied bacon is actually the physical manifestation of divinity, and when applied to chocolate chip cookies, it is amazing. The Jack Daniels only enhances the flavor. No one's gotten drunk off of the cookies, so all is well.

Tebryn
2011-11-22, 02:40 PM

Just saying.

Hi. I'm a professional baker, and I have to say I have never, ever seen anyone get drunk off my sourdough, even though the dough is fermented to Hell and gone and people can't stop eating it. :smalltongue:

I don't think he means it doesn't evaporate at all. He means there will still be traces of it left. But really, it's not going to matter because enough does evaporate out that...ya... negligible problems.

Tirian
2011-11-22, 02:50 PM
Just so you know, the cookies turned out amazing.

That's great to hear! I've got some peppermint schnapps wasting away in my cupboard, so you've inspired me to incorporate it into some Christmas cookies this season.

THAC0
2011-11-22, 03:15 PM
That's great to hear! I've got some peppermint schnapps wasting away in my cupboard, so you've inspired me to incorporate it into some Christmas cookies this season.

I recommend peppermint cupcakes filled with mascarpone cream. Huge hit!

Deth Muncher
2011-11-23, 06:05 AM

I'd say you should do just what I did - take cookies, take out vanilla extract, put in twice as much schnapps as there would have been vanilla. We actually had tiny peppermint cookies at the bakesale, and I think their bits were smashed up candy-canes. Something to think about.

The Succubus
2011-11-23, 07:08 AM
Just so you know, the cookies turned out amazing. Apparently, candied bacon is actually the physical manifestation of divinity, and when applied to chocolate chip cookies, it is amazing.

Only you could make heinous blasphemy sound delicious. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2011-11-23, 07:50 AM
Only you could make heinous blasphemy sound delicious. :smalltongue:

D'aw. As soon as I remember how to embed quotes in quotes Inception-style, I'm going to sig that.

EDIT: Oh right. My signature is at its limit. I guess we'll all just have to commit this to memory.