PDA

View Full Version : Making a tough monster

Balor01
2011-11-18, 09:18 AM
Hey playground,

I am making a homebrew 3.5 race with emphasis on this species being tough. They are melee fighters and were bred for resilience and immense toughness. Imagine them like pitbullterriers of 3.5 world.

So, here are a few of my basic ideas of how to make creature tough. I'd appreciate some decent input.

- Lots of HD (difficult to affect with spells)
- CON racial bonus
- DR
- SR
- Random regeneration* (EACH CREATURE has different vunerability and it is only one - fire, acid or cold)
- two energy resistances**
*above certain HD sonic would come into play
* four above certain HD

ALSO! do NOT include silly feats like toughness or die hard. That is jsut silly.

This is what I have so far. Mind it, tough is not the same as un-hittable. If I wanted something with sick AC I would gave it sick DEX bonus and Nat. armor

Runestar
2011-11-18, 09:25 AM
The stone power feat (tome of battle) lets you take an attack penalty in return for a small amount of temp hp. Can be useful at lower levels.

If you look at the crusader class, they get maneuvers/stance which let them heal when they attack. Also consider the delayed damage pool mechanic and working something similar?

gbprime
2011-11-18, 10:34 AM
Check out the Monster of Legend template in MM2. It might be a little overkill, but I think it's what you're looking for.

ILM
2011-11-18, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry, what exactly are you looking for here? If it's a race, what kind of LA are we looking at (if any)? What CR are you targeting? Is the creature supposed to do anything besides taking hits like a big, dumb, mobile brick? Is it meant to take class levels or is it RHD only?