PDA

View Full Version : Armor for epic character

Kornilios
2011-11-18, 12:31 PM
I'm building a new character for an epic campaign and he has +14 dex mod.What kind of armor I should pick?Any material from pathfinder and 3.5 is acceptable.I an prof with light and medium armors :D

Flickerdart
2011-11-18, 12:51 PM
Epic...is funny. If you are playing high-op Epic, it doesn't matter what armour you have because you're dead. If you're low-op, then your choices actually matter.

You want immunities. Immunity to death, energy drain, ability damage, all those things. Soulfire (+3?) gives immunity to a bunch of those. You will probably want riverine armour because you don't want anybody breaking it.

Kornilios
2011-11-18, 01:05 PM
Basic I am looking for an armor to have the most of dexterity bonus to ac.The best I have found is Nightscale with +10 max dex.Is any better?

Flickerdart
2011-11-18, 01:08 PM
Oh, that's what you mean. You want AC. That's...yeah, I guess that answers my optimization question.

Just wear normal clothes.

AmberVael
2011-11-18, 01:26 PM
Actually, there is a better armor! Gnomish Twistcloth, from Races of Stone, I believe. It's only a +1 bonus, but it has no max dexterity bonus.

Technically, it requires Exotic Armor Proficiency to use correctly, but as it has no armor check penalty, there is no reason you can't just eschew the feat. Indeed, it seems they counted on that in its design, because if you DO take the feat, you get the added bonus that its armor bonus adds to touch AC.

Anyway, it's a good platform for enchantments for a high dex character.

Note that I'm away from my books at the moment though, so it is possible there are inaccuracies here (though I'm pretty sure I've got it all correct).

Jarveiyan
2011-11-19, 11:52 AM
Armor of the Celestial Battalion Epic Handbook pg.128 - bright silver or gold +7 chainmail can be worn under normal clothing without revealing it's presence +10 max dex 0 armor check penalty 10% spell failure chance considered light armor fly at will as the spell surrounded by magic circle against evil effect(if dispelled can be created again as a free action)...616300gp

Zagaroth
2011-11-19, 12:11 PM
Bracers of Armor can be enchanted with any effects normal armor can be...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-19, 12:11 PM
Basic I am looking for an armor to have the most of dexterity bonus to ac.The best I have found is Nightscale with +10 max dex.Is any better?

Eh? You want AC?

Monsters with CRs in the low 20s that focus on melee (no spell-likes or spells) have attack bonus in the 40s. You're gonna need 50+ AC to reliably defend against those attacks. At CR 28, the LeShay has two +10 keen brilliant energy bastard swords at +53, meaning you're gonna need 62 TOUCH AC to reliably defend against his attacks.

It's much simpler just to buy a Major Cloak of Displacement.

JoeYounger
2011-11-21, 12:21 PM
Bond leaf wrap is from the Arms and Equiptment book iirc, its a +1 bonus with no max dex limit.

Psyren
2011-11-21, 12:59 PM
Oh, that's what you mean. You want AC. That's...yeah, I guess that answers my optimization question.

Just wear normal clothes.

This, because...

Eh? You want AC?

Monsters with CRs in the low 20s that focus on melee (no spell-likes or spells) have attack bonus in the 40s. You're gonna need 50+ AC to reliably defend against those attacks. At CR 28, the LeShay has two +10 keen brilliant energy bastard swords at +53, meaning you're gonna need 62 TOUCH AC to reliably defend against his attacks.

It's much simpler just to buy a Major Cloak of Displacement.

...of this.

Miss chance, miss chance, miss chance. It's the only thing that actually scales. being Displaced means that a bugbear and a Leshay have exactly the same chance of hitting you; a mere AC bonus can't compete with that.

JoeYounger
2011-11-21, 01:06 PM
Miss chance, miss chance, miss chance. It's the only thing that actually scales. being Displaced means that a bugbear and a Leshay have exactly the same chance of hitting you; a mere AC bonus can't compete with that.

So why not get a cloak a major displacment, coupled with a +1 bond leaf wrap of heavy fort soul-fire armour for extra immunities. it doesnt hinder you at all, and gives you immunity to crits and negative energy/death effects?!

Psyren
2011-11-21, 01:13 PM
So why not get a cloak a major displacment, coupled with a +1 bond leaf wrap of heavy fort soul-fire armour for extra immunities. it doesnt hinder you at all, and gives you immunity to crits and negative energy/death effects?!

I'm not saying "don't get immunities" by any means. I'm saying "forget about AC as a useful defense."

Also, you can still get soulfire etc. with a t-shirt and jeans - just enchant your bracers of armor. Hell, it's epic, you aren't even constrained by +5 anymore.

Seerow
2011-11-21, 01:16 PM
I'm not saying "don't get immunities" by any means. I'm saying "forget about AC as a useful defense."

Also, you can still get soulfire etc. with a t-shirt and jeans - just enchant your bracers of armor. Hell, it's epic, you aren't even constrained by +5 anymore.

Bracers of armor go up to +8 anyway iirc.

Slipperychicken
2011-11-21, 01:19 PM
Starmantle Cloak (132k, BoED) plus evasion (if you don't already have it get a ring of it for 40k). That will let you negate weapon damage with a reflex save. Since your reflex save is through the roof, it negates hp damage from weapons 95% of the time, which seems to be what you're going for...

Psyren
2011-11-21, 03:06 PM

Just so, just so.

JaronK
2011-11-21, 05:47 PM
Try wearing Dastanas and a Mithral Chahar-aina. No max dex, +2 AC, and you can enchant the two separately and thus it's a lot cheaper. Sadly, you're not allowed to combo this with the Twist Cloth or the Bond Leaf Wrap, but the pair of them is probably better anyway.

If you wanted different bracers, just wear the Chahar-Aina.

JaronK

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-21, 06:14 PM

+13 actually. Although only +8 can be to AC.