PDA

View Full Version : Into the Far Realm [IC]

PersonMan
2011-11-18, 03:35 PM
OOC. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223043)

The air is fairly still. A faint wind blows from the plains of iron, and beneath you the massive platform sways slightly, although that may be due to the great size of Akiote. It's clear that whoever designed the supports wasn't intending for them to hold up something of such great size, and the builders simply solved the problem by adding dozens of additional supports. The sky is light green, something which has become normal to you during your stay in the pseudo-plane, and no clouds provide shade from the disc of light that illuminates the artificial staging ground. Behind and below the platforms hundreds of people wait. As the bells begin to toll, signaling the beginning of the Expedition, dozens of picnics are packed away, children gathered and supplies secured. The great scaffolding, empty without the portal to fill it, seems to bend slightly, moving in only semi-possible ways as the energy of the Far Realm begins to trickle through.

Not long ago, a theory about the Far Realm was put together that posited that the strange plane was just as distorted by contact with the Material Plane as the latter was by contact with the former. If the theory is true, the 'pure' Far Realm would be held at bay by the Material Plane influenced region. This would, theoretically, allow for the bulk of the members of the Expedition to not die horribly the moment they crossed the threshold into the other plane. Of course, it's unknown whether or not the beings of the other side will have taken notice of the portal, so the main force would stay behind to leave you enough time to clear out the area before they follow you. Now, the theory will be put to the test. Arcane energy fills the air between the edges of the specially-made scaffolding, weakening the already thin planar boundaries even more until, with a sound akin to shattering glass and ripping fabric combined with a whale's cry, a part of the air before you swells up and seems to burst. Through the portal is an incredibly distorted landscape, almost impossible to recognize due to what is probably the effect of the tear in planar boundaries warping it beyond recognition. You are able to identify what seem to be white towers, although how many there are and how tall is impossible to tell.

Going through the portal is an odd experience. All of you went through planar travel to reach the staging area, but this is different. Rather than going through a carefully constructed arcane or divine pathway, you're pushing your way through a hole in the fabric of reality. Everything around you is hideously warped for a moment, and in the corner of your vision, no matter how you turn or where you look, it seems like the space between the planes is visible. An odd mixture of utter void and complete possibility, it seems to stir just as it fades from your view. Deep within you a strange feeling arises. Something that could be called fear, or awe...yet is clearly not either. It seems as if anger is there as well, and joy seems to be contained within it as well. A mixture of every emotion imaginable, followed by pure emptiness, all in the fraction of a second. In response to this feeling the void stirs. Infinite possibility seems to be held within it, about to take form, when it disappears from view, replaced by a distorted green above you and gray-brown below you. Then it becomes clear, and you enter the Far Realm fully.

Surprisingly enough, the air is...well, air. Although the smell of iron is thick and breathing is more difficult, it doesn't present much of a problem. You seem to be on a massive outcropping of bone leading to the hole. The bone extends up from what is by far the most massive corpse you have ever seen. The flesh of the former colossus, if it could be called flesh, resembles clay, and beings that resemble a cross between mind flayers and beetles walk or crawl across the surface, probing at the decaying ground, seemingly at random, before diving into it and disappearing from view. The carcass extends for an unknown distance, as the horizon seems to bend slightly as you look at it, deforming further if you concentrate on it any more. One thing is for certain: what seems to be about half a mile away are fifty-two towers of white, swaying like the almost-dead tentacles of some impossible beast. Around it are clouds of dark purple, shot through with red and black, in stark contrast to the light green sky, which appears to be dripping city-sized drops of similarly colored liquid. The drops seem to disappear before they hit the ground, although quite a few curve around the horizon and out of view. Occasionally one does strike the barren flesh-soil beneath your viewpoint, releasing a swarm of elephant-sized creatures flying on butterfly wings with bodies that seem to be massive eyes with dozens of pulsating worms extending in all directions. In other places, pieces of flesh-earth seem to be pulled away from the central mass with sickening noises, trailing translucent liquid that bursts into flame the moment it comes into view, only to slam into a falling drop of sky and explode before...simply freezing. After a moment the details of the meeting begin to fade, and you can recognize the outlines of what may have been similar collisions within the constantly-warped region that should be the horizon.

Suddenly, a massive worm explodes from the flesh of the corpse-landscape, shooting into the air and letting out a screaming noise from dozens of mouths along its triangular body before falling, bursting as it hits the ground and quickly melting into the clay-like 'earth', leaving behind only a small ridge as proof of its existence. From the distance, potentially from the white towers, comes a sound that seems oddly similar to that made by the planar opening, only heavily distorted and notably lower. Something falls from the sky; a liquid that's partially solid and runs unevenly, sometimes flowing quickly and other times moving upwards or not at all, with a strange brown-white color. The bone seems to react to it, and patches of blood-red grass-like shoots erupt from the formerly lifeless-looking material.

This is the Far Realm.

Eshkigal
2011-11-18, 04:56 PM
Standing between the massive leviathan and the humanoid with far too many eyes and limbs, Egreshkigal blinks his many eyes, rapidly looking about with something akin to glee as his three smaller mouths chitter happily. His fourth unfolds from his stomach, talking with a normal voice despite the fact that its only slightly smaller than Akiote.
"This...this better than I was expecting! Never did I dream I would actually get to see this!"
His tail like tentacles sway in rapid patterns, as he gawks at his surroundings.

Gideon Falcon
2011-11-18, 06:42 PM
A shudder rippled through Akiote's massive form, the energies of the not-place reminding him too vividly of his experience so many years ago.

"This is much worse than I imagined. Not surprising, though, since no-one could imagine this."

He drifted forward, watching for anything hostile.

Wavelab
2011-11-19, 12:25 AM
??? Rid in on his construct named pony. As he stepped of it wasn't his bare feet that got cold but the floor that started to freeze. He surveyed the room and walked over to Egreshkigal and started poking him with his finger.

"Good Evening, my little puppy." He said in almost a sing song voice.

Eshkigal
2011-11-19, 12:35 AM
"Right, I keep forgetting you were Normal at some point."
His wings buzz a bit, and he turns half a dozen eyes towards ??? as the imaskar pokes him.
"???, does this area look familiar to you? Or those things! They seem plentiful."
He points to the beetle/mindflayers before taking off and latching on to a swishing tentacle Aniketos had left trailing the ground with his four legs. He traveled faster than Egreshkigal in his current form anyway.

Wavelab
2011-11-19, 12:48 AM
"Yes they do. Reminds me of a time I bit a homeless man outside an inn. The question is how much you want to know about it?"

OOC:
I'll need some DM help on this since I don't even know what the hell we're talking about.

Eshkigal
2011-11-19, 12:58 AM
(Sorry, forgot to mention pointing at the beetle/flayer things.)
"Dunno. I think I can tell you after I know what it is."
Knowledge: The Planes check (general knowledge about anything in front of us, like if they're just mutants of native species, full out denizens, already named, etc.)
[roll0]

Wavelab
2011-11-19, 01:03 AM
"Yes... But have you experienced them before?"

He already knows what it is but I'll make a knowledge(The Planes) Check anyway.

[roll0]

PersonMan
2011-11-19, 12:04 PM
???:
You haven't seen things precisely like these before, but you do remember having encountered some similar wolf-like beings that, like these, had tentacles sprouting from their bodies at random. They used them to feel things around them and as weapons. If these creatures are anything like them, then they'll be quite strong - no threat to you or the others, but enough to be quite an obstacle for most people from the Expedition.

Wavelab
2011-11-19, 12:09 PM
"All of you, run towards those small bugs who will kill you!" ??? Shouted loudly so everyone could hear.

Eshkigal
2011-11-19, 09:09 PM
"Well, they do look oddly delicious."
Initiative: [roll0]

Gideon Falcon
2011-11-21, 05:50 PM
Akiote smiled, eager to have some excitement.

Initiative: [roll0]

Wavelab
2011-11-23, 01:55 PM
"They taste like deity. Specifically, dead deity."

[roll0]

Eshkigal
2011-11-23, 02:23 PM
(Sorry, we were just finding the order we jump off the cliff first)
"Would you like the honor of initiating hostilities, or should I, Akiote?"
He crawls up to the leviathan's head, looking down at the creatures below. They looked so juicy, and familiar. His eight wings buzz in anticipation, as one foot taps.

Gideon Falcon
2011-11-23, 06:16 PM
Akiote's reply was nonverbal, as he simply moved into the thick of things and whirled one of his heads around, savagely snapping at several creatures around him.

Initiating Elder Tombstone Sweep, so how many are within 60 feet?

PersonMan
2011-11-24, 03:21 AM
Akiote:
There are none within 60', due to your being on a several hundred feet high outcropping of bone, and the creatures being on the ground.

Gideon Falcon
2011-11-24, 02:59 PM
Ah. Then he simply spends the round flying down towards the creatures.

Eshkigal
2011-11-27, 10:32 AM
(Sorry, it's been a busy few days. Back now.)
Riding Akiote, Egreshkigal takes off once the distance closes by a few hundred feet, charging another 200 (or less, if they're closer) with the hum of his wings being the only warning they get.
(Flying charge down 200 feet or to the first, whichever is closest, will attack if I can reach.)

Wavelab
2011-11-28, 01:45 AM
??? stands there, with pony next to him. He ponders his predicament. And he knowns what to do.

Alright firstly:
Can I assume I already have vestiges bound? If so my bound vestiges are:
Zceryll (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070718)
Abysm (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070119a)
Haures
Othos

If I already have Zceryll bound I summon a pseudonatural Roc as a Full round action. And 5 ft. move to get on him(he was created close). Pony also goes on him. Roc spends both move actions to go down 160 ft.

Pseudonatural Roc

Size/Type: Gargantuan Outsider
Hit Dice: 18d8+126 (207 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 17 (–4 size, +2 Dex, +9 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+37
Attack: Talon +21 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: 2 talons +21 melee (2d6+12) and bite +19 melee (2d8+6)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: True Strike 1/day
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, SR 25, Acid and Electricity Resistance 15, Damage Reduction 10/magic, Alternate Form
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +13, Will +9
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 15, Con 24, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Hide –3, Listen +10, Spot +14
Feats: Alertness, Flyby Attack, Iron Will, Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, Wingover
Environment: Warm mountains
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral

If not then I draw a seal(1 minute) contact the vestige(1 full round) Make a rushed binding check for each(full round). 4 times.

So 4 minutes and 8 full round actions.

Rolls for Binding Versus DC:
DC 25 - [roll0]
DC 34 - [roll1]
DC 25 - [roll2]
DC 35 - [roll3]

PersonMan
2011-12-02, 03:04 PM
Through whatever means you see fit, whether summoning or simply flying, all of you quickly reach the 'surface', which seems to have been quite a bit closer than it appeared to be from the outcropping. Looking back at it, the bone reaches up and curves backwards out of sight, as if it were tall enough that it was wrapped around the world. The strange beetle-things notice you instantly, swarming towards you at their full speed, mandibles cracking and tentacles waving.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dHlNV0gyX1UtNFFkNWJJS1Z0SmNHN 2c&authkey=CL6g838&hl=en_US#gid=0)

OOC:
Two things:

1. To make things easier, should we use group initiative?
2. These things are medium, there are just an absurd number of them there.

Wavelab
2011-12-02, 03:09 PM
I suggest group initiative. And I'm medium too, but my Roc is gargantuan.

Gideon Falcon
2011-12-03, 10:44 PM
So... Yeah, I can kill them all in one standard action, with Elder Tombstone Sweep. Everyone in 60 feet gets an attack from a bite, with a bonus 5d6 damage and 1d4+1 Con damage. The furthest one is only 55 feet away.

PersonMan
2011-12-04, 05:31 AM
OOC:
We have an OOC thread for a reason, you know.

I did say this would be a curbstomp battle. Don't be surprised if it lasts one or two turns.