PDA

View Full Version : Eight-String Longbow (3.5 weapon/instrument)(PEACH)

Qwertystop
2011-11-18, 04:35 PM
Eight-String Longbow

This weapon functions as a Composite Longbow for any Strength modifier from +1 to +8. In addition, it can be played as a Masterwork Harp with a successful Perform: String Instruments check.

Also, the welder can attack with this weapon while using a Bardic Music affect without interrupting it. They can even start the music effect in the same action as attacking with the longbow.

If it is given an enhancement bonus, it also gives an equal enhancement bonus to Perform checks.

You can enchant this weapon to do an additional 1d6 sonic damage (2d8 on crit) if you attack with it while using Bardic Music. This enchantment is a +1 equivalency.

Weight: 3 lb.

Cost: 1900 gp.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Qwertystop
2011-11-18, 04:38 PM
Added the enhancement-bonus-also-boosts-Perform-checks clause.

Also, I was considering adding a way for weapon enhancements to boost Inspire Competence. Any ideas?

Seerow
2011-11-18, 04:41 PM
The resource cost for the bonus damage is way too high. 1d6 damage for a daily use ability is pathetic, even at the cheap cost.

Personally I'd drop that mechanic altogether, and cut the price down to 1000 gp, which is 100gp higher than a +8 composite bow, which seems fair given it has a little more flexibility, and can be used as an instrument.

You can then add a +1 magic property that gives you +1d6 (2d8 on crit) bonus damage if it is used while also using bardic music. (This is a stronger property than what you had, but at a higher cost to make up for it. Basically it becomes a Sonic Burst weapon that only works while using bardic music, and only for this specific weapon type, so it is only +1 instead of +2 like the other burst properties)

Prince Zahn
2011-11-18, 04:47 PM
I like it. Lovely idea.

I can easily imagine the bard sitting on a rock in the middle of the fight, shooting the arrow(s) at the boss while granting his allies bonuses with inspire-whatchamacallsit!:smallsmile:

ok, so I didn't do my homework on bards, sue me.
EDIT: yea, that's a better idea, seerow. +1

Qwertystop
2011-11-18, 04:51 PM
Added that property.

motionmatrix
2011-11-18, 05:44 PM
This is fun, I would add a +1 ability that would allow you to use summon instrument to create arrows. It does not interrupt any other actions, its part of attacking. Doing this would add some type of bonus either to the attack or the bardic performance currently going on.

Its only really for flavor (save on arrows, negligible assuming you don't use magical ones, minor bonus).

Qwertystop
2011-11-18, 06:42 PM
That wouldn't fit very well...

boomwolf
2011-11-18, 07:35 PM
Reminds me of a PC I had with me on the party once that hard a blowpipe windpipe that he used to fire blow-darts while using bardic music. (the DM went a little wild that game...i had gloves that could transform at will to a longsword and a shield...)

I approve of this instrument of destruction.

motionmatrix
2011-11-18, 09:53 PM
The logic was that the bow was an instrument, and it was played with arrows and fingers. so summon instrument would technically summon the arrow, like it would summon a bow for a violin.

Don't worry about it, just my crazy imagination at work.