View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Annulats and Two Weapon Fighting

theonesin
2011-11-19, 11:00 AM
I wanted to make a character who specialized in throwing weapons, and I really liked the annulats from the Planar Handbook(Neraphs get free proficiency with them). But, I can't figure out what they're treated as for the propose of Two Weapon Fighting. They're listed as ranged weapons, but then they're also thrown weapons, so I don't know if TWF or Rapid Shot applies, and how.

Any help?

Darrin
2011-11-19, 08:46 PM
I wanted to make a character who specialized in throwing weapons, and I really liked the annulats from the Planar Handbook(Neraphs get free proficiency with them). But, I can't figure out what they're treated as for the propose of Two Weapon Fighting. They're listed as ranged weapons, but then they're also thrown weapons, so I don't know if TWF or Rapid Shot applies, and how.

Any help?

Oddly enough, TWF does not specify melee attacks, so it can be used for thrown weapons (assuming you can get them into your hands as a free action, via Quickdraw or whatever). Essentially, TWF and Rapid Shot do the same thing: take a -2 penalty on all your attacks to gain an extra attack. You can even use them at the same time, although you'll take a -4 on all your attacks.

Where it all falls down, of course, is how to identify whether a ranged weapon is "light" or not, although a lot of thrown weapons have both melee and ranged stats. The annulat, however, does not, so you're better off using Rapid Shot, unless your DM rules that it counts as a "light" weapon.

Cieyrin
2011-11-20, 12:45 PM
Going by the TWF Thrown rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#thrownWeapons), Annulats are the same weight as darts, which are treated as light weapons, so I would think they'd be treated as the same. Rough guidelines for weight class for thrown weapons is 2 lb or less is light and more than that is one-handed, unless it was already 2-handed, like spears. Unless you're a Javelin, in which case you just suck and are one-handed, unlike martial thrown weapons of the same weight like Throwing Axes and Light Hammers.

Also, is it just me or does that rule section say that slings are thrown weapons? Cuz, otherwise, I think we've all been stealth nerfing ourselves on how slings operate, as all the thrown weapon buffs work with slings and slings are not the red-headed stepchildren of ranged weapons that I've been led to believe all these years.

tyckspoon
2011-11-20, 12:55 PM
Also, is it just me or does that rule section say that slings are thrown weapons? Cuz, otherwise, I think we've all been stealth nerfing ourselves on how slings operate, as all the thrown weapon buffs work with slings and slings are not the red-headed stepchildren of ranged weapons that I've been led to believe all these years.

No, the load requirement on them is still what makes them suck (move-action reload and not supported by Rapid Reload; you have to get like Hand Crossbow Focus + an Aptitude Sling.. which wouldn't be a terrible ranged setup, actually, if you can't use a Bow of the Wintermoon/Energy Bow instead) and the equipment chapter has them directly listed as a projectile weapon. I think the sling is just listed there because the weapons & equipment chapter doesn't have information for how it should be treated with TWF the way it does for crossbows.