PDA

View Full Version : Help with an unarmed build

ILM
2011-11-19, 02:06 PM
I'm creating an Unarmed Swordsage cohort or lieutenant for my BBEG. Said BBEG will mostly keep to the background, but this one will likely be a recurring encounter (probably with increasing backup as levels progress).

To give you an idea of the flavour I'm going for, the first version I drafted was a Monk 2/ Ninja 5 (Ascetic Stalker)/ Paladin of Tyranny 3/ Ghost-Faced Killer 10. I liked the abilities but way too much MAD and locked feats. So instead I decided to go with a straight Unarmed Swordsage (possibly with Rogue 1 or SA Fighter thrown in somewhere for Craven) concentrating mainly on the Setting Sun and Shadow Hand disciplines. I will take Versatile Unarmed Strike, and have 2 flaws to play with.

How would you go about making a solid but not overwhelming ambushing, damaging and mobile unarmed enemy that can hold its own by itself?

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-19, 02:47 PM
Swordsage 20 with Unarmed Swordsage variant will give you a solid but not overwhelming unarmed combatant.

Darkstalker, Quick Reconnoiter, Craven for feats.
Dark Template (especially with LA buy off).
Possibly start with Factotum 3 to get all skills as class skills, Cunning Insight, and Brains Over Brawn.

For items, any old +1 light armor with high Max dex that you can load down with defensive enchantments and an Eternal Wand of Greater Mage Armor to cover your actual AC bonus.

Do all of that and you should have a solid but not overwhelming Unarmed ninja type character that attacks from ambush and the like.

Might want to throw in an item that allows him to Spring Attack without the wasted feats (allowing him to hit and run better).

Malachei
2011-11-19, 02:54 PM
You cannot initiate a strike maneuver with Spring Attack.

At this level, maneuver selection will play an important role. While Shadow Hand and Setting Sun have excellent low- / mid-level maneuvers, they are sometimes seen wanting in high level. Diamond Mind with Time Stands Still and also Stance of Alacrity, as well as Diamond Nightmare Blade can be very worthwhile. I love Shadow Hand's Death in the Dark, if only for the name.

I agree Dark Template is great for Hide in Plain Sight.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-19, 03:05 PM
You cannot initiate a strike maneuver with Spring Attack.
I never said that you could. But he could be in a position where it's inadvisable to take a full round action to recover his maneuvers and still doesn't want to end close to the enemy. Note where I said a magic item and not actually taking the feat.

At this level, maneuver selection will play an important role. While Shadow Hand and Setting Sun have excellent low- / mid-level maneuvers, they are sometimes seen wanting in high level. Diamond Mind with Time Stands Still and also Stance of Alacrity, as well as Diamond Nightmare Blade can be very worthwhile. I love Shadow Hand's Death in the Dark, if only for the name.
Shadow Hand has the nifty real high end ninja maneuvers though. Balance on the Sky is one of the best stances, One With Shadow (immediate action incorporeal for a turn is huge and is also a great utility power), Shadow Blink (swift action 50 foot movement).

Most of the Shadow Hand strikes aren't as hot at the higher levels but it has, by far, the best stealth and utility options. Although Shadow Noose is a nifty first strike for an Assassin/Ninja build.

I agree Dark Template is great for Hide in Plain Sight.
And Darkvision, and the massive skill bonuses, and the speed boost. :smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-19, 03:11 PM
Try to use the Dark Template from Anauroch Empire of Shade as it gives (Su) Hide in plain sight which is much better than the ToM version.

Spring attack does work nice with boosts and snap kick, if you use the Dark template for HiPS you can use along with spring attack to always attack from hiding.

Another option is to take the Battle Jump feat from Unapproachable East and use the movement from Spring attack to make a single attack (or two with Snap kick) and then use the remaining movement to jump and initiate a charge with battle jump, get pounce from a Barbarian dip and see your players flee in terror from the pogo stick of Death :smallbiggrin:.

Something like Spirit lion Barbarian 1/Sneak Attack Thug Fighter 1/ Unarmed Swordsage 18 would work nice for this idea.

The Underlord
2011-11-19, 03:55 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned adaptive style, It lets you refresh maneuvers and change maneuves readied as a full round action. which is much better than using a full round action to recover one manuever.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-19, 04:10 PM
Wait you mean Swordsage don't get Adaptive Style as a bonus feat instead of their normal level 1 feat? :smalltongue:

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-19, 04:17 PM
Yeah, Adaptive Style is in virtually every SS build I've ever seen. It shouldn't have to be mentioned.

Randomguy
2011-11-19, 05:19 PM
A two level monk dip gets you evasion and a couple of bonus feats.

The superior unarmed strike feat lets you pack some more punch into your punches, and that added on to a monks belt gives you the unarmed damage of a level 20 monk at level 11.

ILM
2011-11-21, 08:00 AM
Hokay, so let's go with this: Swashbuckler 3/ Sneak-Attack Fighter 1/ Swordsage 16. Out of the 9 feats, I'll grab:
- Darkstalker
- Adaptive Style
- Versatile Unarmed Strike
- Craven
- Shadow Blade
- Snap Kick
And I'll tack on a Monk's Belt to make up for the lost levels, and a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis because everything is better with one.
Any suggestion for the remaining 3 feat slots? I guess I could go with the usual TWF tree, or Improved Initiative and Weapon Focus, but there's got to be flashier stuff out there...

Malachei
2011-11-21, 08:06 AM
Gloom Razor, perhaps. And Combat Reflexes might be interesting, also because you have a high Dex. If you can get yourself enlarged, it might be triggering a few AoO.

Darrin
2011-11-21, 09:57 AM
Any suggestion for the remaining 3 feat slots? I guess I could go with the usual TWF tree, or Improved Initiative and Weapon Focus, but there's got to be flashier stuff out there...

Staggering Strike (Complete Adventurer). Save vs. staggered on every sneak attack.

Planar Touchstone -> Oxyrhynchus (Planar Handbook). When opponent is denied his Dex bonus, gain an extra attack at -5 BAB. Due to wonky wording, can also work on standard attack + snap kick. Works best with greater invisibility or blinking effects.

Maiming Strike (Exemplars of Evil). Sacrifice 2d6 sneak attack to do 1 point of Charisma damage. Guess what almost every PC's dump stat tends to be?