PDA

View Full Version : Epic Planar Travel

Calanon
2011-11-19, 02:58 PM
I need an Epic Spell that can allow an Epic Spellcaster to take an entire planet (roughly the size of the earth) to an entirely different plane does anyone know how this would work? how high the DC would be? or can even conceive the actually spell for this?

NichG
2011-11-19, 05:54 PM
Maybe make a Gate with a radius slightly bigger than the planet's and put it in the (precisely calculated) way of the planet's orbit, but fixed to a different astronomical body? That way you don't have r^3 to worry about, just r, since it'd scale with the radius of the portal rather than the mass going through it.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-19, 06:04 PM
Teleport Planet

Spellcraft DC: 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Area: 20,925,525 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows the caster to teleport a planet from it's current location to any other location on any plane.

Let's see, change from Target to area (20 foot radius); that's +10 DC. Now Earth has a radius of 6378.1 kilometers which is 1,046,276.25 times that radius.

So multiple that by 4 and the DC to cover the planet is 4,185,105.

Now add +25 to make it contingent on a specific trigger (this way you can pre cast it and then store it for later use).

Now add +4 for interplanar transport.

That's a DC (pre mitigation) of 4,185,171.

Now to mitigate that away let's use 4,185,171 casters sacrificing first level slots.

So the final DC is 0.

You might want to double that to make sure that you grab the atmosphere and whatnot as well.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-20, 02:06 AM
Teleport Planet

Spellcraft DC: 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Area: 20,925,525 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows the caster to teleport a planet from it's current location to any other location on any plane.

Let's see, change from Target to area (20 foot radius); that's +10 DC. Now Earth has a radius of 6378.1 kilometers which is 1,046,276.25 times that radius.

So multiple that by 4 and the DC to cover the planet is 4,185,105.

Now add +25 to make it contingent on a specific trigger (this way you can pre cast it and then store it for later use).

Now add +4 for interplanar transport.

That's a DC (pre mitigation) of 4,185,171.

Now to mitigate that away let's use 4,185,171 casters sacrificing first level slots.

So the final DC is 0.

You might want to double that to make sure that you grab the atmosphere and whatnot as well.

If you increase the casting time to 1 hour and get the wizards to expend 4 spell slots, or even cantrip slots, you might be able to get that down to 1,000,000 casters. Basically, you'd have to get every wizard in the world to do it. You'd probably need to make ANOTHER epic spell just to coordinate it.

SamBurke
2011-11-20, 02:14 AM
If you increase the casting time to 1 hour and get the wizards to expend 4 spell slots, or even cantrip slots, you might be able to get that down to 1,000,000 casters. Basically, you'd have to get every wizard in the world to do it. You'd probably need to make ANOTHER epic spell just to coordinate it.

Listening to Two Steps from Hell and reading that gave me an idea. And chills.

Congratulations.

Fizban
2011-11-20, 03:40 AM
Well, by my recent calculations on average number of classed NPCs:

An average Metropolis (adult population 25,000+) should have four each of: Cleric 16, Druid 16, Adept 16, Wizard 14, Sorcerer 14. Then eight each of 8th/7th level, then sixteen each of 4th/3rd level then thirty-two each of 2nd/1st, and sixty-four more 1st of each of the Clr/Drd/Adp. So that's 5*(4+8+16+32)+3*64= 492 casters per metropolis. Even with only four 1st level slots between them you should only need the cooperation of every spellcaster in about 500 metropolises and some change.

Average numbers don't work out nearly so well with anything smaller than a large city (since you could have anywhere from 0 to 3 total casters per class depending on the die) and it's easier to coordinate at only the largest population centers anyway. Don't ask me to run the numbers if you want to pull more slots out of them though, I wouldn't be surprised if I botched this easy stuff. It's probably quite possible with an entire nation working together , at least until someone who disagrees disrupts the spell.