PDA

View Full Version : (PF) How best to implement creatures as races?

Rentaromon
2011-11-19, 05:36 PM
So i would like to implement creatures for my players to use for their characters in pathfinder but i have no idea what would be best to do this.

Under the control of players the simple little bonuses of a CR1/2 creature could be worth 3 or more levels, or not even 1. The CR is not a good representation of how much they are worth to a player, but i dont know any other way to group creatures.

Care to share how you balance creature races?

Snowbluff
2011-11-19, 11:07 PM
So i would like to implement creatures for my players to use for their characters in pathfinder but i have no idea what would be best to do this.

Under the control of players the simple little bonuses of a CR1/2 creature could be worth 3 or more levels, or not even 1. The CR is not a good representation of how much they are worth to a player, but i dont know any other way to group creatures.

I would use the 3.5e creatures as a precedent on how to balance the race. Things like SLAs would lead to really high level adjustment.

One thing you could do is just use 3.5e ones, actually. The rules are designed to be compatible.

Talentless
2011-11-20, 12:55 AM

Theoretically this is the exact kind of situation that the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Race Guide is for.

I think it is still being play tested though, and I haven't seen if any changes have been made since I picked up the first released PDF.

As it is, it isn't super effective because a lot of things were either under or over priced to guarantee that all the Core races had the same "points" worth... when really, it wasn't even close. This might of been changed due to play test feedback, but it is something to keep in mind if it hasn't.

stack
2011-11-21, 10:14 AM
I saw a statement saying they were taking the feedback into account and the final product wouldn't lock the core races into one value, which is good news. Its still worth looking at as a guideline, give you a starting point.