PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Crafting Wizard

Amurion
2011-11-19, 06:41 PM
I am looking at making a 3rd level wizard who will be the primary party crafter, especially when it comes to magic items. I'll be the only arcane caster in the group. We are in a low magic world where the DM has things stacked against us. We are using a 20 point buy for character creation. If anybody could help me make someone fairly well optimized I would appreciate it.

Psyren
2011-11-19, 07:52 PM
PF Wizard Handbook (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test) to start you off.

He's a bit disdainful of crafting but the buff descriptions should help you know what you should be making (for yourself and for others.)

Amurion
2011-11-19, 09:18 PM
I was a little disappointed by his disdain for crafting. I can see crafting being sub-par if you make a lot of money and can special order items from the nearest magic shop. So far we have hardly made it to any town worth mentioning and there will be very few magic shops. The DM is very fond of crafting and making your own items. I just don't know what sort of feat progressions and skills are going to be worth sacrificing so I can maintain a high level of crafting. Or if there might be a home brew wizard variant or PrC that could work in this situation.

Thanks

navar100
2011-11-19, 10:21 PM
Have the feat Skill Focus (Spellcraft). You will not be sorry.

Baroncognito
2011-11-19, 11:40 PM
Yeah. That's basically it. All of your items are crafted using Spellcraft, so basically you just need to pump spell craft and take item creation feats.

I'd also recommend Arcane Builder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/arcane-builder)

Select one type of magic item (potions, wondrous items, and so on). You create items of this type 25% faster than normal, and gain a +4 bonus on Spellcraft checks (or other checks, as appropriate) to craft items of this type.

So you'd need.
1st level Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
3rd level Craft Wondrous Item
5th level Craft Magic Arms and Armour
7th level Forge Ring
9th level Craft Rod
11th level Craft Staff

Other helpful feats include Magical Aptitude and Noble Scion (but you'd have to take this at 1st level and have a charisma of 13).

Half-elf would get you Skill Focus (Spellcraft) at first level, leaving you a feat free for something else. Human would get you two feats.

And since Rods aren't listed in the blurb:

In addition, you cannot create potions, scrolls, staves, wands, or any other spell-trigger or spell-completion magic item without meeting its prerequisites.
you can create rods for metamagic without possessing the required metamagic feat.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-19, 11:55 PM
PF Wizard Handbook (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test) to start you off.

He's a bit disdainful of crafting but the buff descriptions should help you know what you should be making (for yourself and for others.)
Personally, I think, if you have time, crafting is an excellent thing for wizard to gain favour with a party. You almost double available wealth and it will often be better because it is more likely to be exactly what they want rather than the close enough from source book or another.
Helps you, helps the party, if you have the time what's not to like?

Randomguy
2011-11-19, 11:58 PM
Craft wondrous item is the most useful item creation feat, since it's easier to make a wondrous item that duplicates a spell effect than to cast it yourself or cast it from a wand. Next to that, I'd say craft magic arms and armour. Don't make weapons with lots of pluses, make them with lots of special abilities and add on the pluses with a magic item that can cast greater magic weapon several times each day.

Other than that, I'm not familiar enough with pathfinder spells or items to recommend any.

Baroncognito
2011-11-20, 03:55 AM
If you're allowed traits, take either Hedge Magician or Theoretical Magician.

The former reduces crafting costs by 5%, the latter will provide +2 Spellcraft.

Psyren
2011-11-20, 06:34 PM
Personally, I think, if you have time, crafting is an excellent thing for wizard to gain favour with a party. You almost double available wealth and it will often be better because it is more likely to be exactly what they want rather than the close enough from source book or another.
Helps you, helps the party, if you have the time what's not to like?

Oh, I never said *I* was against crafting. Indeed, the guide may not encourage that direction, but it does help you decide which buffs and utility are most useful. Therefore, you can use it to know what to make, even if the author's opinion is to make nothing.

Amurion
2011-11-22, 10:22 PM
So, in this case would a human be preferred to get that extra feat as the rest of my feats are going to be crafting related? And what craft skills would be recommended, I know I want to max out Spellcraft, Knowledge Arcane, and Knowledge Planes, but that will leave me with 4-5 skill points per level left over. What crafting skills do you guys think would be appropriate?

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 06:50 AM
Is this Pathfinder content only? Because if it isn't, we can set you up.

Coidzor
2011-11-23, 07:00 AM
So, in this case would a human be preferred to get that extra feat as the rest of my feats are going to be crafting related? And what craft skills would be recommended, I know I want to max out Spellcraft, Knowledge Arcane, and Knowledge Planes, but that will leave me with 4-5 skill points per level left over. What crafting skills do you guys think would be appropriate?

Well, perception is always good as an alternative to a craft skill.

Scuplting's probably the most versatile I can think of.

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 07:08 AM
Well, perception is always good as an alternative to a craft skill.

Scuplting's probably the most versatile I can think of.

Basketweaving.

Chained Birds
2011-11-23, 03:34 PM
Play a boggle (race not the game).

It's a 3rd party race on the PFSRD that has access to the 3rd party feat Arcane Craft which allows you to increase the DCs on crafting magical items to forgo the feat prerequisites. Want to make a golem? Increase the DC and now you can pretend you have the feat to make an Iron Golem/ Clay Golem/ Scarecrow/ etc.

But this is only cool if your DM allows 3rd party stuff.

SamBurke
2011-11-23, 03:56 PM

It's a 3rd party race on the PFSRD that has access to the 3rd party feat Arcane Craft which allows you to increase the DCs on crafting magical items to forgo the feat prerequisites. Want to make a golem? Increase the DC and now you can pretend you have the feat to make an Iron Golem/ Clay Golem/ Scarecrow/ etc.

WUT. WUT. *Goes to look it up* WHOAH. I've got to play one of those things. +5 to make ANYTHING without the feat/pre-reqs? Bausum.

Amurion
2011-11-23, 04:39 PM

That is fantastic, I'll have to run it by my DM. I could be useful in my wizardry and make cool stuff at the same time. I wonder how much that +5 DC is going to hurt for crafting items though. Still, it looks like it hits the best of both worlds though.

koesherbacon
2013-08-18, 07:32 PM
As I'm thinking about making a 3rd level craft as well, I was wondering which spells would be best to add to my spellbook? What's recommended?

There's also a new trait from Champions of Purity called "Spark of Creation", which lowers crafting costs by 5% and gives you a +1 to all craft skills