PDA

View Full Version : Weird flavors that you love

Calanon
2011-11-19, 08:20 PM
Personally? I love the flavor of ash in your mouth :smallbiggrin: I never understood why but it just taste so tasty for me

Weird flavors include but are not limited to:
Feet
Paper
Lint
Old Cheese
deepfriend anything (Yes, the Deep Ones)
Deep fried anything
(List is expanding... maybe)

Raddish
2011-11-19, 08:32 PM
I am not sure if I like the taste of it but I used to eat paper quite a lot.

I have also been known to eat frozen oven chips (Thick fries I guess they translate too) out of a bag... I dunno if thats a strange taste so much as just a strange way to eat them..

Howler Dagger
2011-11-19, 08:33 PM
deepfriend anything
You eat the deepfriends? How dare you attack the Deep Ones!

Starscream
2011-11-19, 09:50 PM
Not paper in general, but when I was little I found that colored construction paper had an interesting sour taste that made it fun to chew on. Fortunately, I grew out of it.

Eloel
2011-11-20, 05:03 AM
I have also been known to eat frozen oven chips (Thick fries I guess they translate too) out of a bag... I dunno if thats a strange taste so much as just a strange way to eat them..

This. Also, frozen corn. That is, corn that been plucked. This (http://img.21food.com/userimages/pecenp/pecenp$617162042.jpg). Freeze it in a freezer (as if for later use), and eat it frozen! With ice on it! Yay!

*ehem*

Also, do the same thing to dried figs. Yum!

Ravens_cry
2011-11-20, 08:18 AM
I used to sneak "plucked" corn from the freezer as a child. Hells, even now if there is a bag of it in the freezer I am as likely to eat it heated as frozen.
I surmise it was the sweetness and the cold, chewy texture that pleased me so.
Ever since I tried them at a family friends wedding at young age, I have enjoyed rollmops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollmops).

Mauve Shirt
2011-11-20, 09:12 AM
I had a friend who ate stuffing mix straight from the box. :smallyuk:

Trog
2011-11-20, 09:28 AM
Anyone remember Lik-M-Aid candy?

It was this flavored sugar powder that you would consume with the use of this candy stick - Lick the stick and dip the stick in the powder, lick the powder off of the stick.

Anyway, I loved the sticks. Very odd tasting things.

Serpentine
2011-11-20, 09:28 AM
This. Also, frozen corn. That is, corn that been plucked. This (http://img.21food.com/userimages/pecenp/pecenp$617162042.jpg). Freeze it in a freezer (as if for later use), and eat it frozen! With ice on it! Yay!I used to eat frozen peas as a snack all the time - the bigger the clump the better! My teeth are too sensitive for it now :smallfrown:
Ever since I tried them at a family friends wedding at young age, I have enjoyed rollmops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollmops).I used to like them as a kid. More recently when I tried them, they didn't seem so good :smallfrown:

I used to eat raw puffed pastry (had to microwave the frozen sheets just the right amount - almost starting to puff up, but not quite). Got into trouble for it and all. I still love raw doughs and batters P: Oddly, though, batter made 'specially for eating raw isn't quite as tasty as batter made for cooking...

Yora
2011-11-20, 09:30 AM
Onions.

I have no idea why but when someone is cooking and cutting raw onions, I usually grab a bit.
Once I was actually eating diced onions out of a bowl after we were all done eating and there was still some stuff left over. I noticed it only when my mother pointed it out after five minutes or so.

Astrella
2011-11-20, 09:37 AM
Onions.

I have no idea why but when someone is cooking and cutting raw onions, I usually grab a bit.
Once I was actually eating diced onions out of a bowl after we were all done eating and there was still some stuff left over. I noticed it only when my mother pointed it out after five minutes or so.

Raw onions are tasty. Yum.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-20, 09:44 AM
Raw onions are tasty. Yum.

I think I'll follow Belkar's advise and have some onions on top of my sandwiches.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-20, 10:50 AM
Indeed. I add raw onions to a lot of things. Sandwhiches, KD, burgers as topping and as inclusion, Mr. Noodles, et cetera.
It's nice because they add a fair bit of zing, are good for you, and are dirt cheap and available year 'round.

Warlawk
2011-11-20, 11:04 AM
Hot peanut butter and cheddar cheese sandwiches. Just as simple as it sounds, bread, PB and cheddar. Microwave for a soft sandwich or pan toast for a crisp one, good both ways. I don't eat them much any more though because that's just really not a terribly healthy sandwich.

Raw potatoes are pretty tasty too. They have a nice crunch to them.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-20, 12:03 PM
Gah, too glutinous.
Now a toasted bagel with natural peanut butter, cheddar cheese, onion, rooster sauce,and a stroozle of ranch dressing, now you're talking.
Oh, and honey.

Mystic Muse
2011-11-20, 01:54 PM
Anyone remember Lik-M-Aid candy?

It was this flavored sugar powder that you would consume with the use of this candy stick - Lick the stick and dip the stick in the powder, lick the powder off of the stick.

Anyway, I loved the sticks. Very odd tasting things.

Yeah, I remember those. Got one this Halloween.

TinyMushroom
2011-11-20, 04:58 PM
I like things that are burnt black, like cake that has been in the oven for too long...

MlleRouge
2011-11-21, 07:29 PM
Blood. I often find myself sucking on cuts, etc, though I'm not the only person I know who does this.

Also, frozen french fries. I love those things, even though they kinda just taste like cold and starch.

I'm a paper eater too, though I couldn't tell you why.

Trog
2011-11-21, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I remember those. Got one this Halloween.
D: Gimmie!

*flailflailreachforflail*

Mystic Muse
2011-11-21, 07:53 PM

*flailflailreachforflail*

I'd give it to you, but I eated it.:smallfrown:

All of my Halloween candy is gone actually.

Weezer
2011-11-21, 11:02 PM
Blood. I often find myself sucking on cuts, etc, though I'm not the only person I know who does this.

Also, frozen french fries. I love those things, even though they kinda just taste like cold and starch.

I'm with you on the blood thing, I really enjoy that taste, occasionally going so far as to bite the inside of my mouth just so I'd bleed.

Feytalist
2011-11-22, 02:00 AM
Dog treats. But only when I was young.

We also have these dog chew toys made from plaited strips of cured ostrich leather. I apparently loved to chew on them when I was a toddler.

My mum bred dogs when I was young. Guess that explains it, heh.

Coidzor
2011-11-22, 02:08 AM
...Darnit, now I'm going to have to try out peanut butter and cheese sandwiches...

Which reminds me, I once tried to make the "Peanut-Cheese bars" from earthbound when I was a kid. And by that I mean I baked and melted cheddar cheese in a panwith honey-roasted peanuts liberally distributed throughout and then cut the results into bar shape and then ate it. In retrospect, I'm kind of surprised it was as edible as it was. And have no idea how my past self enjoyed it enough to repeat the process. :smallconfused:
Onions.

...Eating onions is considered weird in Germany? :smallconfused:

It's pretty normal here in the U.S.

Got enough iron in that there diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29)?

Serpentine
2011-11-22, 03:00 AM

*flailflailreachforflail*You can buy 'em* at our corner stores...
You want I should send you some?

*or variations thereupon

Eldan
2011-11-22, 07:08 AM
Ever since I tried them at a family friends wedding at young age, I have enjoyed rollmops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollmops).

That's not strange, that's normal :smalltongue:

As on onions, I eat them like apples. Or just onion sandwiches.

Also, raw pasta. I know it's not healthy, but I like it. And cooked, but cold ravioli.

MlleRouge
2011-11-22, 02:28 PM
Got enough iron in that there diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29)?

No, actually. I have iron deficiency anemia and have to take supplements. It's to blame for some other weirdness in my life, but I never knew it could be linked to paper-eating and whatnot as well. Interesting!

Also, I saw mention of raw pasta, and I'm going to have to agree with that one as well.

Trog
2011-11-23, 09:05 AM
I'd give it to you, but I eated it.:smallfrown:

All of my Halloween candy is gone actually.
Heh. I sort of figured that. Halloween candy never lasts long. :smallwink:

You can buy 'em* at our corner stores...
You want I should send you some?

*or variations thereupon
Aussie-Lik-M-Aid? o.O I'm tempted... >>

But no that's okay, no need to go out of your way for a silly sugar craving. Thank you anyway, that as very nice to offer. :smallbiggrin: I will get by with my usual staple of Twizzlers.

*munches usual weekly consumption of a 1 lb. bag of the darn things* http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/LuminaOnasi/Smiley%20Faces%20and%20Icons/chewing.gif

Abrexa
2011-11-23, 09:09 AM
How do you even know how ash tastes? Eating cigarettes or something? :smallconfused:

My, I just like frozen potato chips...

Abies
2011-11-23, 01:59 PM
Not a "flavor" but I like the scent of skunk.

Yes, I've been hit, I still like it.

Winter_Wolf
2011-11-23, 05:33 PM
How do you even know how ash tastes? Eating cigarettes or something? :smallconfused:

My, I just like frozen potato chips...

Burning the outside of a marshmallow in a campfire until it's charred black produces a whole shell of ash if you let it burn long enough. Probably about as safe as eating a teaspoon of coal, too. Similar results with hot dogs, especially if it ended up falling off the stick. One simply does not waste food when cooking in the great outdoors. Ate a lot of ash-covered food when camping as a kid.

There's a kind of Korean miso-esque soup that several of us like, which we dubbed "feet soup" because of the smell/taste. The funniest part is that I didn't know what it was actually called or even the Chinese name for it (da jiang tang), when I was explaining it to my Korean friend. She knew exactly which soup I was talking about. It tastes better than it sounds, I promise.

Lord Loss
2011-11-23, 06:37 PM
My friends like carro cake with ranch sauce on it. On of them also likes Milk mixed with Rootbeer.

Greenish
2011-11-23, 07:45 PM
When I was little, one of my favourite ice cream portions was liqourice/chocolate/pear (one ball each). Not quite as weird some tastes out here, but maybe worth mentioning. A friend of mine in his infancy chewed on Legos, said that plastic was tasty (my cat agreed). Another friend spices his pea soup with chili sauce (that's a sacrilege if there ever was one). A third friend swears by habanero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero) vodka: take a couple of habaneros, chop them up (use gloves), drop them into a bottle of 80% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abv) vodka, keep in the fridge for a week (at least), warn people before offering them a sip.

I like onions, too. I've occasionally taken a glove of garlic, too, to suck on.

What about flavours surprisingly bad? I've yet to understand why anyone would eat boiled carrots (eww), and the dough of profiterole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiterole) is disgusting, when compared to the taste of the baked ones.

golentan
2011-11-24, 03:25 AM
Clove. I love clove: I stick it in all sorts of things when I get the chance and it's the main reason I love spice drops.

Jalapeno Ice Cream. It's spicy and creamy and sweet and wonderful.

Banana and Mayonnaise sandwiches. For whatever reason, the combo just plain works (and is even better with fried banana, but shhhh!).

Not Safe For Board. I love the taste of Not Safe For Board, and wish I had more opportunities to taste it.

Abrexa
2011-11-24, 08:04 AM
Burning the outside of a marshmallow in a campfire until it's charred black produces a whole shell of ash if you let it burn long enough. Probably about as safe as eating a teaspoon of coal, too. Similar results with hot dogs, especially if it ended up falling off the stick. One simply does not waste food when cooking in the great outdoors. Ate a lot of ash-covered food when camping as a kid.

Erm... coal is inert, ash has a lot of dioxins, tars and other unhelthy stuff, afaik...

I ater sausages with a little ash stuck to them, too, but was very careful to not make them too dirty.

There's a kind of Korean miso-esque soup that several of us like, which we dubbed "feet soup" because of the smell/taste. The funniest part is that I didn't know what it was actually called or even the Chinese name for it (da jiang tang), when I was explaining it to my Korean friend. She knew exactly which soup I was talking about. It tastes better than it sounds, I promise.

I had chinese next door in student dormitory once, and not only most of the foold looked sort of disgusting, they aslo ended up coating the whole top of cooker with oil each time they made stuff and never cleaning after themselves :smallannoyed:

What about flavours surprisingly bad? I've yet to understand why anyone would eat boiled carrots (eww), and the dough of profiterole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiterole) is disgusting, when compared to the taste of the baked ones.

I second that, but I find peas even worse. Something that looks and tastes like droppings of sick animal, eww :smallfrown:

Greenish
2011-11-24, 02:51 PM
Erm... coal is inert, ash has a lot of dioxins, tars and other unhelthy stuff, afaik..Speaking of which, pine tar is actually rather pleasant tasting, I've been told. I've only tasted it as a flavour on a drink, but that was pretty good.

Speaking of drinks, there's beer brewed from rye that's rather good.

And of course, some people find ammonium chloride a weird flavour for candies. :smalltongue:

I second that, but I find peas even worse. Something that looks and tastes like droppings of sick animal, eww :smallfrown:Quite. Except for peasoup.

Kneenibble
2011-11-24, 05:14 PM
I've not had pine tar, but I do quite relish fresh pine sap and birch sap. Mmm... resiny.

I had a rye beer once that was very tasty.

Clove. I love clove: I stick it in all sorts of things when I get the chance and it's the main reason I love spice drops.
We're meant to be, golemman -- for I eat cloves as another man might chew gum. I'm eating one right now in fact. *offers dish* I call them my 'birdy numb numbs.'

Not Safe For Board. I love the taste of Not Safe For Board, and wish I had more opportunities to taste it.
*monocle pops off*

Coidzor
2011-11-24, 09:28 PM
Jalapeno Ice Cream. It's spicy and creamy and sweet and wonderful.

But what do you think of Habanero Ice Cream?

TMI :smalltongue:

golentan
2011-11-25, 12:56 AM
But what do you think of Habanero Ice Cream?

TMI :smalltongue:

Habanero is too spicy for me. I had a bad experience with a habanero as a kid and have never pushed it with them since.

We're meant to be, golemman -- for I eat cloves as another man might chew gum. I'm eating one right now in fact. *offers dish* I call them my 'birdy numb numbs.'

*monocle pops off*

I agree we are meant to be. Clearly we should meet up and share the flavors we love with each other.

Coidzor
2011-11-25, 01:29 AM
Habanero is too spicy for me. I had a bad experience with a habanero as a kid and have never pushed it with them since.

Well that's an expression I've never run into before.

Great thing about habaneros is that they have more flavor aside from their heat than any other pepper, which is why it's kind of funny they're also the hottest non-specialty one. Also, that for sweet things, the sugar itself mitigates the heat in and of itself.

The Succubus
2011-11-25, 07:49 AM
Heh. I sort of figured that. Halloween candy never lasts long. :smallwink:

Aussie-Lik-M-Aid? o.O I'm tempted... >>

But no that's okay, no need to go out of your way for a silly sugar craving. Thank you anyway, that as very nice to offer. :smallbiggrin: I will get by with my usual staple of Twizzlers.

*munches usual weekly consumption of a 1 lb. bag of the darn things* http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/LuminaOnasi/Smiley%20Faces%20and%20Icons/chewing.gif

Ah, we have those in the UK. There's two sorts, Shertbert Dib-Dabs, which are a lolly with a bag of sherbert (lick lolly, dip in sherbert, die of sugar overdose) and a uniquely British idea, the Shertbert Fountain (which is a cardboard tube filled with sherbert and you have a straw made of licquorice to suck it all up). It's the reason why we have a flourishing dentist industry. :smalltongue:

I'm quite happy to send you some if you want, Trog.

Trog
2011-11-25, 12:59 PM
"Shertbert Dib-Dabs" has got to be the most British-sounding candy name… ever! :smallbiggrin:

Thank you for the offer but I think I better pass until I get good dental insurance again - I think I got a cavity just reading that description. o.o

sennieL
2011-11-26, 02:07 AM
Garlic, onions and salt an pepper.. love it much...

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-11-27, 06:45 PM
I adore the smell of petrol. Fresh paint is likewise amazing.

Calanon
2011-11-28, 10:12 PM

I used to have an Ex-girlfriend that used to get off on burning me with her cigarettes, every now an again she would burn it on my tongue and eventually I just got used to the taste and even started to enjoy it (The taste not the burning)

But now I just heat marshmallows over my stove and eat them :smallbiggrin:

Dexam
2011-11-28, 10:30 PM
Raw steak.

Not rare - room temperature, unseasoned, and blood raw. Whenever I'm cooking steak I always slice a little off to chew on while I'm prepping it for cooking.

... and now I'm making myself drool at the thought of it, and I really want some. :smallfrown:

Vwulf DeMarcus
2011-11-29, 09:41 PM
I adore the smell of petrol. Fresh paint is likewise amazing.

I know! I absolutely love the smell of gasoline/petrol/whatever. Dry-erase/board markers as well.

Das Platyvark
2011-11-29, 09:47 PM
Depending on where you're from, this may or may not constitute weirdness, but I've a HUGE fan of the good old salt lakrids: Salty Licorice.

The Succubus
2011-11-30, 08:28 AM
I know! I absolutely love the smell of gasoline/petrol/whatever. Dry-erase/board markers as well.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. /ApocalypseNow

Eldan
2011-11-30, 10:00 AM
Apparently, the sandwich I'm currently eating (trout, goat cheese, garlic and honey) is weird. I don't see it as such. It's very, very delicious.

It doesn't hold a candle in weirdness to the Everything-in-the-fridge-wich.

Weezer
2011-11-30, 12:16 PM
Apparently, the sandwich I'm currently eating (trout, goat cheese, garlic and honey) is weird. I don't see it as such. It's very, very delicious.

It doesn't hold a candle in weirdness to the Everything-in-the-fridge-wich.

The only part of that which raises an eyebrow from me is the combo of fish/garlic with honey. The rest of it sounds yummy.

Eldan
2011-11-30, 03:32 PM
Really? Honey and garlic is a standard, I thought. I mean, I can buy jars of "Garlic in Honey" here.

Coidzor
2011-11-30, 03:37 PM
What is this? Like, roast garlic that's then immersed in a jar of honey? garlic that's been candied in honey?

Eldan
2011-11-30, 03:45 PM
As far as I can tell, fresh, raw garlic in a jar of honey.

Kneenibble
2011-11-30, 04:04 PM
Honey garlic is not at all unprecedented a flavour on this side, I think: although it shows up mainly in sauces for meat, like honey garlic BBQ sauce, or honey garlic "wings."

Weezer
2011-11-30, 04:06 PM
Really? Honey and garlic is a standard, I thought. I mean, I can buy jars of "Garlic in Honey" here.

Huh, interesting, never heard of that before. I'll have to try it some time, love my garlic and love honey so mixing them isn't out of the question, my culinary curiosity has certainly been piqued.

Anarion
2011-11-30, 04:07 PM
Raw steak.

Not rare - room temperature, unseasoned, and blood raw. Whenever I'm cooking steak I always slice a little off to chew on while I'm prepping it for cooking.

... and now I'm making myself drool at the thought of it, and I really want some. :smallfrown:

Omg yes, so much! Ideally still bleeding a bit. You're making me hungry.

As far as I can tell, fresh, raw garlic in a jar of honey.

Never ever heard of this before in any context.

And a couple of my own. First, I really like the taste of vinegar. I will drown my salad in vinegar and dip bread in it until the bread practically turns black and it is so delicious. Can't explain that one.

Raw octopus. Didn't think I would like it, but it's rather uniquely slimy. It's not my favorite food, but it was interesting and not bad.