PDA

View Full Version : Torment Stratagy

hivedragon
2011-11-19, 08:42 PM
After hearing all the positive reviews I plan on buying this game.
What class should I be? How should I allocate ability scores? Who should I invite to my party?
Are there any dialog options I should answer a certain way? (I know one is regret)
Edit: Don't worry about spoilers.

arguskos
2011-11-19, 08:49 PM
Just play. Take things as they come. Love the story. You'll get more out of it that way, IMO.

Jothki
2011-11-19, 09:10 PM
High Wis is a good idea, you'll get more memories and higher experience that way. Charisma is also good, the game is very talky.

Heh, I'd say that "regret" is just about the only wrong answer to that question. But that's for you to decide.

Trazoi
2011-11-19, 09:22 PM
High Wis is a good idea, you'll get more memories and higher experience that way. Charisma is also good, the game is very talky.
This is the advice I'd give. It's tempting if you go in cold to think wisdom isn't important because you aren't a cleric, but that couldn't be further from the truth. You can also gain stats doing all kinds of things in the game, so don't feel the need to max something out right away. I'd also recommend inviting in whoever you like into your party because they're all interesting.

Other than that, just play! Have fun!

tensai_oni
2011-11-19, 11:00 PM
Good int, good wis and decent cha. Unlocks the most interesting dialogue options. Many players don't put a single starting point into physical stats even if they want to play a fighter or rogue.

You always start as a fighter but can change class in-game. You also get 1 stat point on each level up, to put wherever you want.

Vilyathas
2011-11-19, 11:10 PM
You can dump Strength and Dexterity. High Con lets you regenerate faster, but there are plenty of healing "potions" around, so you can dump this if you like. The important stats are Int, Wis, and Cha, as they unlock a lot of conversation options and in some cases, lets you avoid combat entirely. Also, high Int lets you cast high level spells, and all of them have really cool cinematics.

So, strategy. Talk to everyone. Do everything. Go everywhere. You're immortal. Barring hacking off a godlike-being, permadeath is very rare in this game. Ooh, and keep everything you find. Some "junk" may be useful in some areas. One of them might even save your life :smallbiggrin:

Mx.Silver
2011-11-20, 10:11 AM
After hearing all the positive reviews I plan on buying this game.
What class should I be?
Whichever you want. You automatically start as fighter, but can changer to mage or rogue fairly early in the game. I know mage is the popular choice given stat distributions but the others work fine.

I will say now that you shouldn't worry too much about picking the 'optimal' choices or 'beating the system'. Torment isn't your typical RPG and trying to find the 'best' way to play won't really benefit much.
How should I allocate ability scores?[/quote]
Whichever class you eventually pick you'll probably want a fairly decent wisdom score to start with. Charisma can be useful for dialogue options but not pumping it won't hurt you much either. High intelligence can help with some conversations and high dexterity can help in other situations (although not as many), but you won't need to push either to extreme heights unless you're made or thief respectively. Strength is only of any real use to fighters and even then you probably don't want to make it a high priority at character creation even then. Constitution isn't something you'll need to worry about too much.
Overall, mental stats matter more than physical ones (especially Wisdom). Note also that you gain 1 additional stat point per level and you can boost your stats through tattoos you can buy so you don't need to start the game with crazy min-maxing.

Who should I invite to my party?
Whoever you want. A can get a bit more out of a couple of NPCs under certain circumstances (Morte can benefit from including Fall-From-Grace in your party, Da'akon can benefit if you're playing a mage - both from spells and the higher intelligence stat) but there's not really a wrong way to make a party.

Are there any dialog options I should answer a certain way? (I know one is regret)
Regret is not what you *should* answer. There isn't an option you *should* pick with that conversation. It's like asking which of the factions is 'correct'.

One thing that isn't a dialogue option but is very significant: some time after you've done the first quest involving the Brass Orb, there will come an opportunity to get it for yourself (it won't explicitly tell you this but you'll know when it happens). Get it before you finish your hunt for Ravel and hang on to it.

Lying about your name a lot can also have some unexpected consequences. This is entirely optional though (and I think may push your alignment towards Chaotic).

Spiryt
2011-11-20, 10:21 AM
Long story short, do not spoil your fun by any attempts at optimize or metagame in Torment....

Game is pretty much all story and immersing yourself in the world.

Attempt at talking for the purpose of having higher stats and rewards generally can often work 'well' in many games, not in this one.

In short, do what you feel is 'in character', and enjoy.

This is pretty self harming request too. :smallwink:

Game is all about discovering more and more "spoilers" so it's detrimental to know them before.

Eldan
2011-11-20, 02:39 PM
Your strategy should be your tongue. Talk to people, don't fight them.

Pump your wisdom, then charisma, then intelligence.

Be a wizard. Not for combat, necessarily, but because the high-levle spells look very cool.

Spiryt
2011-11-20, 03:31 PM
It's kind of hard to roleplay The Nameless one as a frail little punk with 8 Strength though. Damn graphics. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/misc/andrew/namelessone.jpg

Yuki Akuma
2011-11-21, 10:13 PM
Be sure to talk to the ghost chick whose name I forgot until you get the special ability she gives you.

It is very useful, because it'll be a while until you get a character who can cast that spell.

There's another special ability that replicates a spell you can get later on from a zombie woman if you have good enough Cha, too. It's required for a few side quests if you don't take the character who can cast it as a spell.

Also, buy the Modron doll. That's all I'll say about that.

KingofMadCows
2011-11-21, 11:35 PM
You can get more than 20 stat points, mostly mental attributes, from quests and dialogue options. You also gain a stat point every time you gain a level. There's also the different class specialization and tattoos. So the initial stat distribution is not as important as in other D&D games. Although I would start with at least 16 wisdom since it opens up a lot of dialogue options and it increases your experience gain.

Kzickas
2011-11-22, 10:52 AM
In addition to the other benefits it has wisdom gives you a bonus to all experience gain, so you'll want to max it out as fast as possible. You should take 18 in it at character creation, and put your one point into it the first three times you level up. Once you're out of the mortuary you should go to the tavern in the area south of the mortuary. Talking to a guy named "O" gives you plus 1 wisdom. Also in the same area as the tavern is a tatoo parlor, you can buy tatoos that boost your wisdom here. He's got a single +2 and infinite +1 wisdom tatoos.

Maximum of all ability scores is 25 which you'll get this way once you've got the tatoos. When you get boosts to wisdom later you can switch the tatoos out. You'll probably get so many wisdom boosts that you lose them due to maxing out but the main benifit is extra experience and the last boosts come so late that it won't matter anymore.

For the not so good about torment. I played as a chaotic good nameless one when I played through and I felt that there was definitly less support for any alignments not evil or lawful good. It wasn't huge, but it was noticalbe.