PDA

View Full Version : PF: trapping with Resilient sphere

rgd20
2011-11-20, 06:41 AM
the 4th level spell

Resilient Sphere (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/resilientSphere.html#_resilient-sphere)

has a diameter of 1ft per caster level.

For unusual sized creatures what is the minimum caster level to fit them in?(i.e such that they are forced to make a reflex save rather than the spell just fizzling)

Ignoring the fact that a beholder could just disintegrate the damn thing / AM it what level is required to trap a Hive mother/ spectator etc.

What about a purple worm (does the diameter have to equal it's uncoiled length?)

Very tall giants, how tall are they?(the space/reach gives a maximum assuming that they are a cube. How much smaller than this is reasonable?

Again with dragons, do I have to get a sphere from nose tip to tail-end before they have to make a reflex save?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cerlis
2011-11-20, 09:21 AM
I believe its intended to be the size of the creature space it takes. For instance though a wurm or dragon are longer than their size. they are assumed during battle to be curled up trying to hit you with their tail, wings. or in the case of the wurm, coiled like a snake ready to strike. That simplifies the game so that every creatures area taken up and reach dont change every round.

So for a huge purple wurm it just needs to be wide enough to fit a huge creature in it.

It would make sense for special cases for the DM to point out when the caster would realize it wouldnt work. for instance a wurm is chasing them down a tunnel and it has to spread out to its full length.

"i'm going to cast resilient sphere on it" Dm:"Before casting the spell you realize at the moment the spell would not entrap the wurm. do you still want to cast it"

as such, it would also be wise to allow players to also have the inverse. If you convice a giant to curl into a ball for some reason (such as to getting him to bend over to look at something) it would be easier to entrap him with a lower level version.

But these last two scenarios are simply reasonable exceptions to the basic rule.

flowandmagic
2011-11-20, 11:04 AM
What Cerlis said.