PDA

View Full Version : Lich and Fear Aura

World
2011-11-20, 07:43 AM
I will be short: can a Lich suppress his Fear Aura to avoid make an entire city escape when he goes in?

W3bDragon
2011-11-20, 08:07 AM
Liches are shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. Creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at the lich must succeed on a Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell from a sorcerer of the lich’s level. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same lich’s aura for 24 hours.

Emphasis mine.

If he wants to avoid people running in fear, he has to make sure they don't see him. Turning invisible should suffice.

He could also enter in a carriage with the windows closed and the curtains drawn.

Snowbluff
2011-11-20, 12:17 PM
Depends! If this is a DM's Lich, the DM can have him do whatever he wants!

If it is a player Lich, doesn't look like it. He should talk to his DM.

Madcrafter
2011-11-20, 01:31 PM
I thought they could, but maybe that was some other variety of lich that could suppress theirs.

Calanon
2011-11-20, 03:03 PM
Always thought that Lichs could turn off the Fear Aura as a free action? :smallconfused:

Caylus
2011-11-20, 03:08 PM
According to the entry for special abilities in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm) they can:

Fear
Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. If a fear effect allows a saving throw, it is a Will save (DC 10 + ½ fearsome creature’s racial HD + creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects. A failed roll usually means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

Fear Aura (Su)
The use of this ability is a free action. The aura can freeze an opponent (such as a mummy’s despair) or function like the fear spell. Other effects are possible. A fear aura is an area effect. The descriptive text gives the size and kind of area.

You don't have to spend free actions if you don't want to.

World
2011-11-21, 06:42 AM
Thank you, so the problem is solved.