PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Echoes of Winter's Edge IC

hoosier
2011-11-20, 05:13 PM
Echoes of Winter's Edge

The Beginning

As the sun set, Wolfgang Volos stood waiting on the black marble floor of Xaphan's Gymnasium in Tesumer, looking out over the Southern Sea. The Gymnasium was on the first floor on the backside of Xaphan's villa on Sentinel Island, a domed, round room with a high ceiling, ringed by white marble columns but open to the outside on its southern exposure, and it was here that roughly half of Wolfgang's training had taken place (the rest of the time was occupied in Xaphan's well-stocked library). He had been asked to come here today, on the one day of the week he normally had for leisure, but his dedication to his training left him no cause for complaint. He did not wait long before his master arrived.

Xaphan sauntered into the room, trailed by Ravanna, who was dressed in the same plain black training garb as Wolfgang. Xaphan was a lithe human of average height, with short black hair and a pointed mustache and goatee. He wore a white tunic, leather pantaloons, a white-plumed black cavalier's hat, and a gold-lined cloak of royal blue silk that identified him as one of the illustrious King's Magi. Ravanna's scarlet hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and she stood off to the side with a rather despondent look on her face.

Xaphan smiled as he walked over to his pupil.

"Good evening. I have asked you here tonight because you have shown great progress in your training, and you have reached the point where you are nearly ready to become a Magus. As you well know, the Magi have been guardians of the King since I joined his service thirty years ago and began my Gymnasium. You have mastered the sword and the spell. But do you have what it takes to protect the king and his family?"

As his words ended, his smile widened, and then a flurry of action began.

In a flash, Xaphan drew his scimitar and slashed at Wolfgang, who just barely was able to dodge to one side as Xaphan chanted the words to some spell The student drew his own scimitar, and the song of steel began.

Xaphan easily dodged his student's first attack, and struck again, making a small cut on Wolfgang's arm, and again he cast a spell. This time, Wolfgang was just barely quick enough to dodge two scorching rays that burst from his master's palm.

As he dodged, he lunged forward toward Xaphan, casting his own spell, and a look of shock went over his face as electricity surged through him. While Xaphan was reeling, his student followed his spell with an attack with his scimitar, which scored a hit as well! (albeit for minimum damage).

Xaphan just stood there, and then smiled again. Wolfgang took a few steps back, remaining in his battle stance.

"Excellent. I think you're ready."

While Wolfgang stood by still in shock about the pop quiz, Xaphan walked over to the large chest by the door and unlocked it. When he returned, he handed his student a beautiful scimitar with an ivory hilt.

"I'll take back that training blade, as well as that armor. You'll find a more suitable set, as well as your new blue cloak, in the chest over there. This signet ring will also identify you as a Magus. Which you are now. Well not officially, so don't go around wearing it until after your ceremony in a couple days, but you're in."

Xaphan gave his student a nice pat on the back.

"Congratulations. You are your parents' son, without doubt. This test was really a formality, just to get a feel for exactly what you were capable of when pressed...and you've impressed. Now, unless you have any questions, you should go tell your parents about your new position. You are to report to Dondarion Castle at noon the day after tomorrow."

Link to OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223207)

Volos
2011-11-21, 08:55 AM
Wolfgang started to bow to his master, but then remembered that he was now one of the Magi. It would not do to show humility when in the King's service. Instead he offered his hand, expecting his teacher to take hold of his forearm while Wolfgang would do the same. "Thank you Xaphan. You have been a great teacher, a kind master, and a friend without equal. I am honored to serve the King and his family as one of his Magi." He was still panting from the sudden test of steel and spell, but did his best to keep his composure. The new Magus left his training scimitar and armor behind, taking the ornate ivory hilted blade and the armor with the insignia of both Tesumer and the King's Magi. The signet ring and azure cloak were placed together in his pack, not to be worn until his ceremony. "I am at your service Xaphan, if ever you need me you need but ask." Wolfgang turns to Ravanna as well, smiling gently. "Good luck in your training, it has been... fun." This wasn't quite true, as Ravanna and Wolfgang had fought often but they had grown up together in training with Xaphan. They were like friends, rivals, and siblings all at once. Even though it hurt him to leave both his master and his fellow apprentice, Wolfgang knew his time had come. Without any further delay Wolfgang departed his master's Gymnasium to seek out his friend Vincent at the docks. He missed his childhood friend dearly, but wouldn't waste too much time looking for him. If Vincent proved difficult to find, Wolfgang would simply go to his parent's home instead.

Diplomacy to Gather Information on Vincent [roll0]

hoosier
2011-11-21, 12:49 PM
Ravanna glared at Wolfgang as he left. Leaving Xaphan's villa, the new magus headed east down Shore Street towards the less affluent Dockside. Crossing a small bridge he left Sentinel Island and found himself on the mainland, and in one of the busiest and roughests parts of the city. Peddlers sold a variety of wares on the dirty sidewalks along the broken cobblestoned street, and there were women (and a few men) selling other more corporeal wares.

Wolfgang stepped over a passed out drunk as he headed down an alleyway that he was pretty sure led to the place where Vincent lived. It had been four years since Vincent's time in Tesumer and a break from Wolfgang's intense training had coincided. He came to a tee-junction in the narrow alley between the buildings, and found himself unsure which way was the right one.

As he contemplated, out from the right turn alley stumbled an incredibly drunk dwarf. When Wolfgang asked for directions, all he had in return was a half-growl, half-laugh, and a crude gesture from the ugly dwarf. Nonplussed, Wolfgang headed down the alley where the dwarf had come from, and he was about ready to try to navigate his way home, when he heard voices coming from the other side of a tall wooden fence which surrounded the backyard of of of the ramshackle two story houses he was passes. One of them was Vincent's, without doubt! Wolfgang, who had been here years ago, even recognized the latch on the back gate, which was in the shape of a dragon.

He began to move to open the gate, when he realized that the voices were heatedly arguing, although the words were unintelligible due to the evening noises filling the air. Wolfgang realizes that if he listened at the door he might be able to hear what they were arguing about; alternatively he could just open the door and saunter in.

Volos
2011-11-21, 01:11 PM
Wolfgang was almost regretting his choice to seek out his friend by the time he ran into the drunk dwarf. He had gone this far, so there wasn't much point in turning back now. When he finally reached the familiar back gate, he paused to consider his options. Vincent, what in the nine hells have you gotten yourself into now? With a sigh Wolfgang raises a hand to knock on the gate before opening it to walk in on whatever was going on. If it turned for the worse then he had a spell in mind that could end any argument quickly and decisively.

hoosier
2011-11-21, 01:32 PM
As the door opened, Wolfgand saw the surprised faces of two men, standing in the twilight at the foot of the steps of the back porch. On the right stood his old boy Vincent; suave and at ease, the surprised look on his face resembled the look of a man whose team made a comeback after he left the stadium, a mix of happiness and regret simultaneously. On the left stood a small, wiry figure in a gray cloak, with a rapier at his side; his face showed shocked betrayal.

"And who the blazes is this?" the man asked,"I thought we agreed to meet alone. A setup, huh?"

Before Vincent could answer, the man suddenly drew his rapier, took a few backsteps toward the fence, and glanced over his shoulder, probably trying to decide if he was better off trying to escape over it, or to try to break out past Wolfgang.

Volos
2011-11-21, 01:46 PM
"A Setup? I'm visiting a friend." Wolfgang was being rather blunt with this confused man. Rather then trying to convince him, Wolfgang would let Vincent do the talking. If the man moved to attack anyone then Wolfgang would quickly cast a spell that could put the man down quickly and harmlessly. If anything he could put the man in manacles and question him as to exactly what was happening.

hoosier
2011-11-21, 02:03 PM
The man looked at Wolfgang in confusion. The magus had gotten the jump on them, but he looked to Vincent to see what he had to say about all this. Vincent's answer was a dagger, swiftly drawn and thrown at the cloaked man.

Screwed up my attack roll. Will try again in OOC. You can act now, or after the mystery man goes.
[roll0]

Vincent's thrown dagger stuck in the heart of the mysterious stranger, and he fell to the ground with a thud.

Volos
2011-11-22, 08:30 AM
Wolfgang's hand had defaulted to the ivory hilt of his blade, but fell limp at his side as Vincent took the man down with a single swift strike. Wolfgang rushes to the man, trying to see if he is still alive after taking a knife to the heart. "Why did you strike this man down? Wasn't he meeting you for a reason?" Wolfgang sounds both hurt and confused, looking to Vincent for only a moment before returning his attention to the man. Who was he? Wolfgang asks himself, looking for some sign that this man was a shady figure who deserved this quick death and not a good man who had been taken from this life too soon.

Perception for Searching the Man [roll0]

hoosier
2011-11-22, 01:09 PM
A dark shadow crossed Vincent's face, as he glanced down at the stricken body of the mysterious stranger.

"Perhaps you'd better come inside. I'll explain all. Leave him be, someone will be here soon to take care of the body."

Vincent turned toward the porch and beckoned for Wolfgang to follow, but before the magus did, he got a chance to quickly search the corpse.

The body was still warm to the touch. The man had a dagger sheathed on his belt, and a small coin purse with 8 silver pieces inside it along with as a crumpled piece of paper bearing what appears to be a map of the docks district surrounded by strange, illegible notes, like some kind of shorthand.

The porch door let out a loud creak as Vincent entered his house, and Wolfgang got the feeling he'd better follow.

Volos
2011-11-22, 01:57 PM
The Magus takes the small piece of parchment and tucks it inside of one of his many pockets. Wolfgang leaves the man, presumably dead or dying, and follows his old friend inside. Rather than the joy he had hoped for, there was nothing but bitterness within Wolfgang's heart for Vincent. "Alright, start explaining." Wolfgang was being rather blunt and he sounded hurt or betrayed. "What in the hell is going on?" He leaned against an empty part of wall, crossing his arms over his chest.

hoosier
2011-11-22, 07:27 PM
The room into which Wolfgang followed his friend was sparsely furnished. A wooden table with four chairs sat in the middle, and across the room was the fireplace. Above the hearth was a painting of the Falls of the Greysage. Vincent walked over to where a keg of ale sat next to the kitchen stove.

He filled two mugs with drink, walking over to the table to set them down. He slid one across toward Wolfgang, and he began speaking.

"I suppose I have a lot of explaining to do. But hey! First I think congratulations are in order, old buddy. A little bird told me you made Magus today. That is damned impressive. Magi don't do half badly either. Decent stipend, private quarters, fame and all that comes with it...you'll have all the swooning maidens you can handle!"

With a chuckle, he took a long drink from the ale.

"Sit down, and have a drink. Its been too damned long."

The grin faded a bit and his face darkened as he continued.

"Well, I guess I owe you an explanation. I'm sorry you had to see that. But relieved too, in a certain sense. You see, you're not the only one who is in the service of the King..."

Volos
2011-11-23, 12:38 PM
Wolfgang still refused to take a seat with Vincent, watching him with a cold hard stare. "Somehow I no longer feel like celebrating. My best friend just killed a man without cause other than confusion. What would you know of service to the King?" "

hoosier
2011-11-23, 01:33 PM
Vincent sighed.

"I've been working for the King for the last four years."

He took another drink.

"I should not be telling you this, and I wouldn't if you weren't now in the service of the King as well. There are other agents of the Crown beyond the Magi. I serve in his majesty's secret service, a group called the King's Cloaks. I don't have to express how much I need you to not mention what I'm telling you to anyone. I cannot tell you the details, but the man I killed was an agent of one of Tesumer's enemies. Perhaps he didn't deserve to die, but had he escaped, a long running operation would have been ruined.

Again, I'm sorry you had to see it. The job isn't usually so murderous, so stop looking at me that way. It may be that you have to kill for the King too, and sooner than you'd like."

Vincent sits down at the table with a rather glum look on his face.

Volos
2011-11-23, 08:27 PM
"If that is the way of it..." Wolfgang sighs deeply, allowing his gaze to soften and finally taking a seat. He pours himself a full glass, taking a deep drink of whatever it contained. " ...any enemy of the King is surely mine as well. Forgive my disbelief my old friend. I know what is expected of the Magi, and what I may have to do in order to stay true to my oath as a Magus." He was starting to relax, trusting in the words of his closest friend. "Let us forget what has happened this night, what needed to be done was done. How has service to the King found you? Well I should hope."