PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gambler/Thief Style Character

Reprimand
2011-11-20, 09:10 PM
My DM is running a 3.5 Iron Kingdoms game. It's very blackpowder fire arms and the creation of technology like warjacks (basically really big warforged that are harder to make and more expensive to maintain.) New gods and what not.

That's not my issue however I'm looking to make a thief gambler character with maybe a few spells. Problem is I need a good base class, I was honestly thinking spell thief, but I get less skill points and I'm more focused on stealing magic which is on the decline in game anyway. Rogue but then I don't really get many spells. Maybe a beguiler? Bard is out because playing music and singing while combat is going on is just silly.

I was hoping to work up from small time stuff like the shell game all the way up to big time stuff like the ultimate heist or rigging arena matches. (Tips on doing this in D&D via skills or getting the right connections in a city?)

Being a skill monkey is definitely a must and maybe a bit of magic. Hopefully a medium BAB (At least).

Amphetryon
2011-11-20, 09:14 PM
My DM is running a 3.5 Iron Kingdoms game. It's very blackpowder fire arms and the creation of technology like warjacks (basically really big warforged that are harder to make and more expensive to maintain.) New gods and what not.

That's not my issue however I'm looking to make a thief gambler character with maybe a few spells. Problem is I need a good base class, I was honestly thinking spell thief, but I get less skill points and I'm more focused on stealing magic which is on the decline in game anyway. Rogue but then I don't really get many spells. Maybe a beguiler? Bard is out because playing music and singing while combat is going on is just silly.

I was hoping to work up from small time stuff like the shell game all the way up to big time stuff like the ultimate heist or rigging arena matches. (Tips on doing this in D&D via skills or getting the right connections in a city?)

Being a skill monkey is definitely a must and maybe a bit of magic. Hopefully a medium BAB (At least).If you can be a Halfling, you might consider a (Cloistered)Cleric of the Luck domain, headed into Luckstealer from Races of Destiny. It's not the most powerful PrC out there, but it fits the archetype you're after. Pair it with the Fortune's Friend PrC from Complete Scoundrel, though at that point you're well behind on spellcaster levels.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-20, 09:17 PM
Factotum is what you want.

It does almost exactly what you want. Well you can't steal magic but you can cast your own, have a ton of skill points (with all skills as class skills), and have some nifty class features.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-11-20, 09:27 PM
One thing I enjoy is a rogue 1/wizard 1/ rogue 18. gives you a familiar for skill bonuses, wizard allows for level 0 and 1 spells, (not too big a deal, but fun) and more importantly, access to wands and scrolls. gives your rogue a very... dabbler, dilettante feel.

still gives you those thief-like skills, and that nice (if situational) sneak attack damage. you have access to some early level spells that can.... "alter" your luck. :smallbiggrin: useful for a gambler.

Reprimand
2011-11-20, 09:29 PM
Factotum is what you want.

It does almost exactly what you want. Well you can't steal magic but you can cast your own, have a ton of skill points (with all skills as class skills), and have some nifty class features.

I've heard a lot about that, what book is that in anyway?

Fax Celestis
2011-11-20, 09:31 PM
Dungeonscape. I'm a big fan of Trickster Spellthief/Luckstealer/Fortune's Friend with a bucket of Luck feats from CScn, myself.

hex0
2011-11-20, 09:34 PM
Check out the Fatemaker from the Planar Handbook. It is a bit sub-par but pretty fluffy. And/Or Fortunes Friend

fryplink
2011-11-20, 11:02 PM
try factotum. It's great, though it might not be the flavor you are looking for, being heavily INT based. You are looking for a bard that doesn't sing, really. So, make your perform something that isn't musically themed. I had one that had perform "snark" and insulted his enemies, or oratory (speeches) who does Aragorn-esqe speeches pre-and mid combat.

Reprimand
2011-11-21, 07:45 AM
Any tips for going about getting some games that can't be won for the opponent but aren't entirely obvious?

For example I challenge a half orc to a drinking game I bet that I can drink 3 pints of ale before he can drink 1 shot glass of the stuff.

Rule 1 he has to give me a 2 mug head start
Rule 2 he can't touch the other person's glass or the table
Rule 3 no magic or super natural or EX powers during the contest.

The trick is that after drinking my first mug I place my mug over his shot glass so that he can't touch his glass or touch the table to shake if off so that he can't get to his drink. And no powers because he might be able to turn his hand ethereal or something so I wouldn't want him to reach through the table and grab his glass.

Anyone know anything like that?

Stormfang
2011-11-22, 10:20 PM
Any tips for going about getting some games that can't be won for the opponent but aren't entirely obvious?

For example I challenge a half orc to a drinking game I bet that I can drink 3 pints of ale before he can drink 1 shot glass of the stuff.

Rule 1 he has to give me a 2 mug head start
Rule 2 he can't touch the other person's glass or the table
Rule 3 no magic or super natural or EX powers during the contest.

The trick is that after drinking my first mug I place my mug over his shot glass so that he can't touch his glass or touch the table to shake if off so that he can't get to his drink. And no powers because he might be able to turn his hand ethereal or something so I wouldn't want him to reach through the table and grab his glass.

Anyone know anything like that?

Bet him that you can drink and keep down 2 gallons of water versus the orc drinking 1 gallon of milk. Do this in real life too (its hilarious). Milk is absorbed by the body at a much slower rate then water and nearly anyone would be vomiting before even finishing 1 gallon of milk.

Edit: actually just google bar bets, lots of ideas for you there.