PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good Inquisitor guides out there?

MukkTB
2011-11-21, 01:46 AM
I found one that is somewhat incomplete. Its halfway converted from a paladin guide. Is there anything else out there?

darksolitaire
2011-11-21, 03:14 AM
What do you mean by inquisitor? A build? There are two prestige classes, church inquisitor and shadowbane inquisitor, located in complete divine and complete adventurer.

Edit: oh, and then there's Inquisitor in Dragon Lance Campaign Settings.

Edit2: Bah, the Pathfinder Inquisitor, obviously you meant that.

grarrrg
2011-11-21, 09:34 AM
(assuming PF Inquisitor)
Between its proficiencies, 6 skill points/level, Judgements, Bane, and 2/3 spellcasting, it can fill any party role adequately.

It is the definition of "average" and "flexible".

My advice (until someone actually makes a guide) is to figure out what party role you need/want to fill, then find that class's guide and steal ideas.

MukkTB
2011-11-21, 04:25 PM
I meant pathfinder.

Yeah I get the feeling that its probably tier 3. Can pretty much swing any way. I'm supposed to be the party's divine caster. I interpreted the party's request for a divine caster as 'We need healing when Ye Old Magic Shoppe isn't selling us potions.' I was going to play a Paladin to just tank the damage and do the battle medic thing with lay on hands if I had to to save someone from death. But the DM suggested I go cleric. I interpreted that as meaning the church wanted me to take a higher position. I don't like to play tier 1 or 2 characters so I split the difference and made an Inquisitor.

First level I took a feat to give me a claw attack and have been two handing a longspear. Mostly I was interested in how it would feel to have reach. It has been nice to stand a step behind the dedicated melee character poking things. If something comes up close and 5 ft step isn't an option I can hold the spear in my offhand and claw it without making a weapons change.

Just made 3rd level and I've had to do healing in combat exactly once. Our melee guy had grappled a nasty sneaky opponent in a dark cave and was at low HP from the guy stabbing him. I didn't want to lose our tackle on the baddie so I healed our melee. We do have access to a place we can buy healing potions so out of combat I haven't needed to do much. I'm thinking I could take Craft Wand at 5th level so I could craft wands of cure light wounds but I'm not sure if its really worth it. If I can buy materials I can probably just buy healing products outright, in which case the feat is just a money saving thing.

Psyren
2011-11-21, 04:45 PM
As far as Inquisitors, they're sort of a more powerful divine bard. T3 sounds about right.

First level I took a feat to give me a claw attack and have been two handing a longspear.

You didn't mention your race so I don't know how many limbs you have, but assuming two you can't claw and 2H the longspear unless you drop the longspear first.

I'm thinking I could take Craft Wand at 5th level so I could craft wands of cure light wounds but I'm not sure if its really worth it. If I can buy materials I can probably just buy healing products outright, in which case the feat is just a money saving thing.

It is very worth it; you get far more total healing out of a CLW Wand than any number of potions for the same price. It ends up being more useful for out of combat healing though.

MukkTB
2011-11-21, 07:15 PM
Exactly why cant I claw? Its a 2 handed spear so it weighs 9 lbs. When I want to claw I hold it in my off hand as a useless 9lb item and make a claw attack with 1 hand. Can you point me to some rules where this isn't allowed?

Edit - And yes I realize the wand is for out of combat healing unless someone is gonna drop dead on the spot without it.

Edit2 - I don't claw and 2Hand the spear on the same turn as part of a multiattack routine or something. I just hold the spear in my hands most of the time and if something gets up and personal and a 5 foot step isn't viable I declare that I use my off hand to old the spear and do nothing with it while using my main hand to make the normal attack routine using a claw.

IthroZada
2011-11-21, 07:24 PM
Exactly why cant I claw? Its a 2 handed spear so it weighs 9 lbs. When I want to claw I hold it in my off hand as a useless 9lb item and make a claw attack with 1 hand. Can you point me to some rules where this isn't allowed?

Edit - And yes I realize the wand is for out of combat healing unless someone is gonna drop dead on the spot without it.

It's not that you can't just let go of your spear, because pulling one hand off of a 2 handed weapon is indeed a free action, it's that you have already used the hand in an attack, making it ineligible for natural attacks.

Edit:

Edit2 - I don't claw and 2Hand the spear on the same turn as part of a multiattack routine or something. I just hold the spear in my hands most of the time and if something gets up and personal and a 5 foot step isn't viable I declare that I use my off hand to old the spear and do nothing with it while using my main hand to make the normal attack routine using a claw.

Yea, that works.

Psyren
2011-11-21, 07:29 PM
Exactly why cant I claw?

Here: (http://paizo.com/PRD/combat.html)

"You can make attacks with natural weapons in combination with attacks made with a melee weapon and unarmed strikes, so long as a different limb is used for each attack. For example, you cannot make a claw attack and also use that hand to make attacks with a longsword."

If you're 2-handing the spear, by definition both of your limbs are used for that. You have none left to claw with.

EDIT in response to edit 2: Yes, as long as you're not trying to spear and claw in the same attack sequence you're fine.

MukkTB
2011-11-21, 07:35 PM
Although along that line I've been wondering what areas I normally threaten and what attacks of opportunity are legal for me to take.

grarrrg
2011-11-22, 09:30 AM
You still haven't mentioned Race.
If you are a Half-Orc there are 2 ways to gain a Bite attack (racial feature OR feat), this would solve most of the "off-hand/2handed" problems.

Myth
2011-11-22, 10:41 AM
I know you meant PF, but the Church Inquisitor PrC is actually quite good for a dip of several levels.