PDA

View Full Version : Feather squashing

lorddrake
2011-11-21, 08:17 AM
I was thinking. The rules state some damage for falling things in you depending on distance, not speed, right? (I may be wrong because I'm away from my books).

If this is true, can I create an character that uses his body in full armor + feather fall to cause damage to enemies by RAW?

It would be a nonsense funny character to make. Bonus points if I can make a sneak attack that way.

Yuki Akuma
2011-11-21, 08:32 AM
This spell has no special effect on ranged weapons unless they are falling quite a distance. If the spell is cast on a falling item the object does half normal damage based on its weight, with no bonus for the height of the drop.

So, extrapolating from that, you wouldn't deal any damage based on the height of your fall.

So, to do any serious damage with this strategy, you'd need to be playing one seriously obese character.

lorddrake
2011-11-21, 08:42 AM
Ah... Boring...

Thanks for the reply, though...

CTrees
2011-11-21, 09:03 AM
Note: there are no mechanical penalties for playing a seriously obese character. If you're the half-ogre half-orc equivalent of a 700lb human, you still fight exactly as well as you otherwise would, and still take up the same space and are treated as being the same width for squeezing rules as normal.

Darrin
2011-11-21, 09:27 AM
I was thinking. The rules state some damage for falling things in you depending on distance, not speed, right? (I may be wrong because I'm away from my books).

If this is true, can I create an character that uses his body in full armor + feather fall to cause damage to enemies by RAW?

Yep. Sinfire Titan already did some work on this a while ago with his "4500 lbs. of Stupid (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863510/4500_lbs._of_Stupid?pg=1)" build.

Abrupt Jaunt, Shadow Jaunt, and Blinkshirt soulmeld are all available at fairly low levels. Add Boots of Landing (500 GP, MIC), catfall power, or the Roofwalker feat to negate your falling damage. Add Pounce + Roof-Jumper or Battle Jump feat to turn it into a charge attack, then Knock-Down and Dungeon Crasher levels to bull-rush them into the ground on each attack for 8d6 damage.

Note: Keep your DM away from Heroes of Battle, or he might discover the Aerial Bombardment rules and then give all your victims a Ref save DC 15 to negate.

lorddrake
2011-11-21, 10:51 AM
I'm the DM. I just like silly things to put because our adventure is all about following orders from the god of chaos and insanity.

Thank you for all your tips for the obese character. It might be useful since the BBEG is already an obese one...

marcielle
2011-11-21, 02:35 PM
If you like silly, unless you specifically jump or fly, nowhere in the SRD does it say you actually fall, upon being in the air with no support

lorddrake
2011-11-22, 07:21 AM
If you like silly, unless you specifically jump or fly, nowhere in the SRD does it say you actually fall, upon being in the air with no support

Why did I imagine running over a cliff and only falling when I realized that there was no ground to step on?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-22, 08:20 AM
That damage is from normal falling, not from slow falling; the spell calls out the differences when slow falling on something/someone:
If the spell is cast on a falling item the object does half normal damage based on its weight, with no bonus for the height of the drop. Plus you've still got to make your attack roll to hit, and the intended target can then avoid damage with a DC 15 Reflex save (see Heroes of Battle on page 68).