PDA

View Full Version : Radio Hair Removal

NineThePuma
2011-11-21, 09:14 AM
So I found a site (http://www.nevershaveagain.com/default.aspx) that describes a method of hair removal that wikipedia didn't have a page on (not that I actually looked for the wiki page) but it seemed well backed, and apparently has been around wife the mid seventies.

So, since I don't actually know anyone who might have used this stuff (that also won't be judgmental over my curiosity), I turn to the playground in search of stories, and maybe some additional looks at the stuff.

Tonal Architect
2011-11-21, 10:02 AM
I've never heard of that one, but it reminds me of when people were using X-rays for permanent shaving. X-rays were the most effective shaving method ever conceived by humankind...

...if only they didn't cause cancer. *sigh*

On the one you're asking about, I've never actually heard of it, but it sounds like a scam... Especially because I've never heard of it. Might sound a bit silly, but if this thing was for real, people would likely be going bonkers over it, and I assume everyone would have heard of it. This particular type of product doesn't seem like the kind of thing you hear firsthand on an internet forum, but rather something that's so heavily marketed that you simply know it's there.

Melayl
2011-11-21, 11:06 AM
Out of curiosity, I checked out the site. The site states the product has FDA approval, and shows a letter about it. Again, out of curiosity, I searched the FDA website for it. The FDA website has absolutely no record (that I could find) for this product or reference number...

NineThePuma
2011-11-21, 06:07 PM
The Trade Mark (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4003:le7peq.2.13) seems to be live. And fits fairly well with the given data on their site.

It claims, on the product site, that the technology is secured in such a way that it can only be produced for commercial use by this corporation.

It sounds a bit too good to be true is why I brought it here.

GeekGirl
2011-11-21, 06:44 PM
Were I can completely see the draw to permanent hair removal, I don't think I would trust this. Shaving takes way more time than i ever want to put toward it, and waxing is less fun... Nothing on that site convinced me its safe or even effective. Besides first link on google about radio hair removal (here) (http://www.hairremovalforum.com/laser-hair-removal-research/finally-free-hair-removal/42/) doesn't seem to think very highly of it. I would have to do more research, but I don't trust it.

NineThePuma
2011-11-21, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I found that one after some looking too. I am disappointed, but oh well.

tyckspoon
2011-11-21, 08:46 PM
Out of curiosity, I checked out the site. The site states the product has FDA approval, and shows a letter about it. Again, out of curiosity, I searched the FDA website for it. The FDA website has absolutely no record (that I could find) for this product or reference number...

The FDA does not regulate cosmetic products. So. Yeah.

Melayl
2011-11-23, 08:49 AM
The FDA does not regulate cosmetic products. So. Yeah.

But their site specifically mentions FDA approval as a class I medical device (which they said they didn't need to get but secured anyway). It even has a link to a "letter" they received from the FDA granting this approval. They should, therefore, have record of it on the FDA website.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-23, 10:32 AM
This reminds of a faux-infomercial sketch by Mark Lowry about "Hair Loss Club for Men".
This looks about as real.

tyckspoon
2011-11-23, 10:34 AM
But their site specifically mentions FDA approval as a class I medical device (which they said they didn't need to get but secured anyway). It even has a link to a "letter" they received from the FDA granting this approval. They should, therefore, have record of it on the FDA website.

Assuming it's true (and it probably is, I'd forgotten that the FDA wants a record of all 'medical devices', even for the ones that have little to no actual medical application), it's still misleading- a Class 1 device is not tested for efficacy in the kind of trials you usually see linked to 'FDA Approved' (as in the kinds required to bring most drugs to market.) All it really means is somebody looked at how this thing supposedly works and went "Ok, I don't see any way that can actually hurt somebody, feel free to sell it to anybody sucker enough to buy it." For this kind of thing the FDA seal makes no claims about whether or not it's any use as a hair-removal method.

Winter_Wolf
2011-11-23, 07:19 PM
I was seriously hoping this thread would have something along the lines of, "turn up the music so loud it not only blows off the clothes, but strips away all your hair to boot." (Side effects may include hemorrhaging from the ears, eyes, nose, and any and all other bodily orifices, complete deafness, and/or exploding internal organs.) :smallbiggrin:

I tend not to trust any hair removal technique that isn't pulling it out by the root or shaving it down with a very sharp blade.

onthetown
2011-11-23, 07:21 PM
My cousin does it, I think. He's a drag queen and he said it's so that he'll never have to shave again, and it's been a few months and the treatments are working as far as I know. So yes, something similar does exist, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the link you provided.

That's all I know about it, though.

Keld Denar
2011-11-23, 11:29 PM
Shouldn't that be something that's governed by the FCC, rather than the FDA? I mean, cell phones, radios, and other devices that emit and recieve similar waves fall under their jurisdiction.

That said, laser hair removal is generally in the couple thousands of dollars with similar results, and is extremely painful from what I hear. If this product is really as potent and effective as they say, it would most likely be marketed only to salons and studios for thousands of dollars who would in turn use it on their clients. The fact that you can buy your own device, and the price involved makes me believe its a scam, or at least not as awesome as they are trying to lead you to believe.

Asta Kask
2011-11-27, 05:54 AM
FDA approval means it's not harmful. It can still be worthless, but it sure sounds impressive...

Keld Denar
2011-11-27, 01:57 PM
but it sure sounds impressive...

Its a sound pun! Get it? Get it? Hyuck hyuck hyuck!

Tyndmyr
2011-11-27, 02:00 PM
I was seriously hoping this thread would have something along the lines of, "turn up the music so loud it not only blows off the clothes, but strips away all your hair to boot." (Side effects may include hemorrhaging from the ears, eyes, nose, and any and all other bodily orifices, complete deafness, and/or exploding internal organs.) :smallbiggrin:

I tend not to trust any hair removal technique that isn't pulling it out by the root or shaving it down with a very sharp blade.

Lasers...lasers are also trustworthy.

Kittenwolf
2011-12-01, 08:41 PM
If this product is really as potent and effective as they say, it would most likely be marketed only to salons and studios for thousands of dollars who would in turn use it on their clients. The fact that you can buy your own device, and the price involved makes me believe its a scam, or at least not as awesome as they are trying to lead you to believe.

Wholehearted agreement. "Hi there, our device is an utter wonder machine that does everything you could ever want for hair removal and rather than sell it to professional institutions for huge markups, we're selling it for less than the cost of a body waxing".
You know what they say, "If it sounds too good to be true..."

*Edit*
Well lookie here (http://www.reviewcentre.com/vt100842_start0_orderasc.html):)