PDA

View Full Version : Nature themed psionics?

silver spectre
2011-11-21, 10:37 AM
Aside from the Ardent and the psionic mantles, does anyone know of any nature/druid themed psionic classes, prestige classes, and/or powers?

Urpriest
2011-11-21, 11:23 AM
Most such things are in Compete Psionic. There's a PrC or two focused on lightning in there, for example. Races of Stone has the Earth Sense line, which has a psionic component.

Psyren
2011-11-21, 11:38 AM
Outside of homebrew/3rd-party, nope; nature isn't really psionics' thing. Officially, customizing an Ardent is your best bet.

EDIT: Ur-Priest is correct, a ... stormlord? Storm Disciple could be nature-ish, as could a Cryokineticist from FRB.

Psychic Theurge works just as well with Druid (or perhaps Blighter) as it does with Cleric, Ur-Priest etc.

DSP made a Psionic Ranger (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/ranger); you could crib the more nature-themed powers off its list and customize them into your mantles.

Dual-9s with Blighter-Ardent-Psychic Theurge:

1) Get to Druid 5. Break your vows however you like.
2) Purchase a Thought Bottle and record your XP.
3) Play patty-cake with a Wight down to Ex-Druid 1.
4) Voluntarily fail your saves the next day. Open your bottle and regain levels up to Ex-Druid 1/Ardent 4. Add two more Ardent levels to satisfy the +4 BAB requirement. (ED 1/Ardent 6).
5) Regardless of now only being an Ex-Druid 1, you were still "previously capable of casting 3rd-level spells" (see step 1.)
6) Enter Blighter for 2 levels.
7) Enter Psychic Theurge.

Final build: Ex-Druid 1/Ardent 6/Blighter 2/PT 8/X+3 (X is psionic)
Casts as Blighter 10/Ardent 17.

If steps (2) and (3) are too difficult given your WBL and the Wight's CR, get to Ardent 6/Druid 3/PT 2 first instead, let it drain you to Ardent 6/ED 1 or similar and then kill it with your psionics. Proceed from step (4).

Rubik
2011-11-21, 03:10 PM
It's easy enough to reflavor a lot of this stuff. Claws of the Beast and Bite of the wolf, leading into Metamorphosis, for taking on physical aspects of animals. Animal Affinity for emulating the mental aspects. Whenever you manifest one of these powers, describe it as if you're taking on bestial aspects while you do so.

Then you hit the energy powers. You're harnessing the power of the wildfire, unleashing the might of lightning and thunder, or obliterating your foes with the rage of the blizzard.

And there's Control Air, which unleashes the power of the storm, and Biofeedback, Vigor, Psionic Iron Body, and so on, where you take on the power of earth to protect yourself.

It's all in how you describe it.

Lateral
2011-11-21, 03:20 PM
Final build: Ex-Druid 1/Ardent 6/PT 8/X+5 (X is psionic)
Casts as Blighter 10/Ardent 19.

You're missing those Blighter levels.

Psyren
2011-11-21, 03:24 PM
You're missing those Blighter levels.

No idea what you're referring to, my good man.
(:smallredface:)

silver spectre
2011-11-22, 06:48 AM
It's all in how you describe it.

That's what I focus on when I run the game.
My players often have a hard time telling what form of mystic [psion, mage, cleric, etc...] an NPC is without taking some time and making some appropriate skill checks, but I'm looking to play one this time and just wanted to know if there were any already set up.

I think I'll go with that DSP ranger to start with and then into ardent unless I stumble onto a workable homebrew in the mean time.

Much thank's folks.