PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC] The Troubadour...mounted and musical healing--revisit

desmond1323
2011-11-21, 07:49 PM
First off, the actual previously 'finished' product: The Troubadour (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222125)

But I will repost the table here:

TROUBADOUR
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Minstrel, Healing Specialty, Master Healer, Swiftest Cure 1/day|
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Unstoppable Healer|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Mounted Physician (+10 ft, +2 AC), Swiftest Cure 2/day|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Emergency Aid 4/day|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Unicorn Mount, Swiftest Cure 3/day|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Sonorous Heal, Mounted Physician (+20 ft, +4 AC), Emergency Heal 6/day|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Healing Song, Swiftest Cure 4/day|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Panacea Touch, Emergency Aid 4/day|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Master of Music, Swiftest Cure 5/day, Mounted Physician (+30ft, +6 AC)|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Song of Life|
[/table]

I was actually pretty pleased with what I managed to make, and even more pleased by the (though few) comments I received.

While it hasn't been all that long since I put that up there, I was talking about it during the drive home with a friend of mine (the far more active and better known than I, Coidzor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=39762)) and figured a few more things out that I'd like to run by those who stumble into my little thread.

So...basically, it's mostly just a few alterations here or there to grant the class a bit more versatility and not be just a Bard PrC...shouldn't have been an issue to begin with, but, heh, I was biased--I love Bards.

Anyways.

Changing, from top to bottom--

Requirements: 4 ranks in Perform. 4 ranks in Heal. Mounted Combat feat.

The table--Changed all increases in casting from arcane to just increase in spellcasting class

Minstrel...While a Troubadour focuses on the healing arts, he also travels to and fro learning and sharing tales and songs. The Troubadour may stack his Troubadour levels with his Bard levels to determine the number of times he may use his Bardic Music per day and Bardic Knowledge checks. If he has no Bard levels, he gains the Bardic Music and Bardic Knowledge abilities as if he were a 3rd level Bard (which then stack with the Troubadour levels).

Healing Specialty...Unique spell selection—The Troubadour’s specialization in healing spells grants him access to certain very powerful spells he would normally not be granted, however, this does require the sacrifice of one of his spells known. The Troubadour gains: Restoration as a 3rd level spell; Heal as a 4th level spell; Raise Dead as a 5th level spell; Regenerate as a 6th level spell. These are granted when that spell level is open to the Troubadour and are not optional.
Alternatively, if the Troubadour's spellcasting class' spell list contains those spells, he instead gains access to those spells one spell level sooner.

New ability, to be added at 9th level:

Master of Music...At 9th level, the Troubadour has mastered a new form of musical expression due to his travels and dedication. He may choose to add to his class abilities one of the following: Inspire Greatness, Song of Freedom, or Inspire Heroics--these treat the Troubadour as a Bard of his Bard + Troubadour levels for effects and such.

I believe that's all that was discussed...and while at the time, it made perfect sense, having typed it up....I wonder. Perhaps it just sounds clunky 'cause I worded things poorly, so please feel free to suggest as much. Then again, maybe these changes are unnecessary? That's fine too, so say so if you feel as much.

Or if you think these things are--as has been suggested--needed.

To recap...changed the requirements some so other classes can now enter (specifically the Cleric). Though the Bard still has the easiest time of it.
Allowed the class to grant Bardic Music if those entering didn't have it. Changed spellcasting progression to take into account non-Bards entering this prestige class. And added a new ability (that I had intended on adding anyways, but forgot about) to allow the learning of one more Bard song.

Thanks for your time, as ever, Playground. Here's hoping I don't get shredded to pieces again, heh.