PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this die?

TheThan
2011-11-21, 08:08 PM
Ok so years ago I bought a package of seemingly random dice. Among the assortment of dice there is this “face card” die. It is a regular six sided die but instead of numbers or pips it has the face cards from a deck of playing cards.
The die is broken up like this:
Side 1: ace of clubs
Side 2: nine of spades
Side 3: ten of hearts
Side 4 king of diamonds
Side 5: “green” queen (can’t determine a suit)
Side 6 : “blue” jack (can’t determine a suit)

Facings: side one is opposite side two, side three is opposite side four, and sides five and six are opposite each other.

Now I figure there could be some pretty interesting uses for a die like this (I actually used to have two but I seem to have lost one). But unfortunately I’m at a loss as to what exactly to do with it. So I was wondering if the playground here could help me come up with some cool and interesting ideas for this die.

Rorrik
2011-11-21, 08:12 PM
Have the party win it gambling and find it has magical properties associated with what they roll. The can roll it as often as they want, or once a day or something like that. It's always fun to have home grown magic items like that. I have fond memories of a flying compass and a talking rock.

PrinceOfMadness
2011-11-21, 08:31 PM
Roll it out in the open and watch and arbitrarily declare that you have, in fact, just rolled a six. Then roll it again and declare that whatever face came up is also a six. Watch hilarity ensure.

TheThan
2011-11-21, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking of making the die do a random magical effect to the party.
Each side of the dice determines which column I roll percentile for. I give the die to the players and let them roll as much as they want.

Gravitron5000
2011-11-22, 09:15 AM
You have found an artifact! The die of many (6) things! Shenanigans should ensue.

Defiant
2011-11-22, 09:33 AM
You have found an artifact! The die of many (6) things! Shenanigans should ensue.

The die of several things :smallbiggrin:

Anxe
2011-11-22, 09:38 AM
Didn't the Dice of Oliddammara come out in one of the Complete Books? They were a pair of d6s, but you could draw from that table for inspiration.

Chilingsworth
2011-11-22, 09:55 AM
Didn't the Dice of Oliddammara come out in one of the Complete Books? They were a pair of d6s, but you could draw from that table for inspiration.

I think the dice of Olidamarra are an epic artifact found in the Epic Level Handbook.

Cespenar
2011-11-23, 07:40 AM
Make it summon mysterious and unique allies 1/week or 1/month. Ace of clubs could be a high-level swordsman, nine of spades could be nine low/mid level rogues, "green" queen could be a high-level elven druid, etc.

You could make up stories/plothooks/what-have-you for each of them as well, if you'd like to expand upon them.

Anxe
2011-11-23, 10:16 AM
Or you could make it summon Slaads based on the colors. >:)