PDA

View Full Version : So the Designer's Knew they Screwed Up!

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 01:43 AM
I was randomly looking through Stormwrack and I came upon this entry for the Leviathan Hunter on page 61. I found it highly interesting so I thought I'd share.

Trophy (Su): You have the ability to wear your enemy
and protect yourself from its power. Whenever you slay a
Huge or larger aberration, animal, dragon, or magical beast,
you can take a body part as a trophy, such as a horn, tooth,
or claw. You must have dealt damage to the creature in the
encounter that killed it (you can’t just watch the wizard
blast it and then claim the trophy), and you must harvest
the trophy within 1 minute of the creature’s death. You
must then treat the trophy with a mixture of precious oils
and magical preservatives costing at least 500 gp. This
process takes 24 hours.

So it seems that the designers, at least some of them, realized as early as 2005 that Wizards dominated the field constantly. I thougt I'd share this and let people discuss. Enjoy. :smallsmile:

zimmerwald1915
2011-11-22, 01:46 AM
So it seems that the designers, at least some of them, realized as early as 2005 that Wizards dominated the field constantly. I thougt I'd share this and let people discuss. Enjoy. :smallsmile:
Nope. Pay attention to how they think of the Wizard dominating.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 01:48 AM

Even if they have a flawed reasoning why, they are still admitting that Wizards are dominating. Especially over Rangers, the best entry class for the PrC.

Malachei
2011-11-22, 01:50 AM
I was randomly looking through Stormwrack and I came upon this entry for the Leviathan Hunter on page 61. I found it highly interesting so I thought I'd share.

D&D: Proudly realizing wizards dominate the game since 1974.

The cited text is nice, though. I'd not have expected the editor to leave it in. Probably not edited that much. Probably not playtested that much, either. Frostburn wasn't, for sure.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 01:52 AM
D&D: Proudly realizing wizards dominate the game since 1974.

The cited text is nice, though. I'd not have expected the editor to leave it in. Probably not edited that much. Probably not playtested that much, either. Frostburn wasn't, for sure.

To be fair, I've only been playing for about 2 years and my dad was 6 when it started so forgive me for not knowing the history. :smalltongue:

Malachei
2011-11-22, 01:55 AM
To be fair, I've only been playing for about 2 years and my dad was 6 when it started so forgive me for not knowing the history. :smalltongue:

Forgive me for being old. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-11-22, 02:02 AM

This. Even when succeeding, WotC managed to fail.

Malachei
2011-11-22, 02:07 AM
I still think they did it on purpose.

Gary, Dave and Co.: Proudly playing wizards and dominating the game since 1974.

But hey, we have Robilar's Gambit now. A legacy of the early fighter's pain. :)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 02:07 AM
This. Even when succeeding, WotC managed to fail.

Sig. This must be siged. Please? *puppy dog eyes*

Forgive me for being old. :smallbiggrin:

You are forgiven.

JaronK
2011-11-22, 02:10 AM
That's right, you have to damage the beast after the Wizard Glitterdusts it into blindness, pins it in place, and cloud kills it down to a con of 1.

JaronK

Malachei
2011-11-22, 02:15 AM
That's right, you have to damage the beast after the Wizard Glitterdusts it into blindness, pins it in place, and cloud kills it down to a con of 1.

JaronK

Indeed.

Let's wait until it triggers an AoO :)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 02:18 AM
Indeed.

Let's wait until it triggers an AoO :)

Too bad the Hunter's bow doesn't threaten any squares! Or the beasts DR will negate his puny weapon die + str AoO. :smalltongue:

Malachei
2011-11-22, 02:30 AM
Too bad the Hunter's bow doesn't threaten any squares! Or the beasts DR will negate his puny weapon die + str AoO. :smalltongue:

I thought we had arrow mind. :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2011-11-22, 02:36 AM

JaronK

Pin? What spell does that?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-22, 02:37 AM

Solid Fog, Black Tentacles. I'm sure theres more outside of Core. I don't think he meant Pin as in the game term but more a term of restricting the targets movement to "no movement."

Malachei
2011-11-22, 02:38 AM

Something we owe to Bigby, I guess.

Darrin
2011-11-22, 06:52 AM
I thought we had arrow mind. :smallbiggrin:

Or an Elvencraft bow.

Myth
2011-11-22, 07:01 AM
Robilar's Gambit yes. A nice feat. I had respect for it until I actually saw Lord Robilar's character sheet. That's a pathetic fighter If I ever saw one :smallconfused:

BTW a blaster Wizard without any metamagic abuse will still fair better than your average joe-schmoe Ranger.