PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Depression

pendell
2011-11-22, 09:48 AM
A webcomic (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html). Dunno about the rest of you, but I've been there. Never so down in the dumps that I can't function, but the harsh self-criticism and self-loathing? Hecks yeah. Struggle with it daily.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mx.Silver
2011-11-22, 11:56 AM
Shouldn't this be in the Webcomics section?

Haruki-kun
2011-11-22, 12:25 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Webcomics section?

I dunno... Looks more like a discussion about depression based on a blog entry to me.

Yeah, I've been there. The last year was pretty tough on me. I've been doing a lot better lately. Gets worse when you're under extreme stress.

arguskos
2011-11-22, 12:30 PM
Been there, done that, hated the whole damn thing. 2009 was the worst year of my life, bar none, for basically that reason.

Feeling so blue that you can't be bothered to feed yourself is a terrifying and horrible place to life. It's... yeah. :smallsigh:

I am better now, but not by much sometimes. Depression: the bugbear that never dies or leaves.

bluewind95
2011-11-22, 12:34 PM
Been there too. Except for the getting better part. I've been there for 17 years, it's never turned around. My mind already has cruel answers to thoughts of the kind "I can do this".

pendell
2011-11-22, 01:05 PM
My mind already has cruel answers to thoughts of the kind "I can do this".

That's my problem , too. My mind is a cruel jerk that needs to lighten up.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Weezer
2011-11-22, 10:28 PM
Yup. Incredibly familiar on many levels. The biggest thing for me when I get into those depressive ruts is the "I have no reason to feel like this", I've had a pretty damn good life, yet I'm sad all the time. It's incredibly frustrating not to have reasons for my emotions. Whenever I've had a concrete reason to feel sad, whether it's been a bad breakup or my grandfather passing away I can deal with it, it's the reasonlessness of it all that really gets to me.

golentan
2011-11-23, 02:32 AM
I want to make some of those pictures my profile pics on several things I frequent, I identify so much with her.

Every time someone links Hyperbole and a Half I enjoy it.

Ceric
2011-11-23, 02:43 AM
That was fantastic. And so familiar.

Ricky S
2011-11-23, 09:54 AM
That moment when you realise you can buy all the skittles you want is the best.

Juggling Goth
2011-11-24, 01:59 PM
Oooooh yeah. I love that blog entry so much. It's why cognitive behavioural therapy made me worse, not better. I know that my life is objectively pretty good, but that just fed the self-loathing: no excuses, girl. Some people have tumours and pets that die. And then when one therapist told me that I needed to work harder and that I obviously didn't really want to get better, that just triggered the "less inspirational and more just a way to oppress myself with hatred" thing.

I didn't need people telling me to sort myself out, because that was what I'd been yelling in the privacy of my own head for years. I'm a bitchy perfectionist. The idea that someone could give me some 'tough love' that hadn't already occurred to me several times over was just ludicrous.

Trog
2011-11-25, 01:23 AM
That state right before the bike ride to return the movies? That's me, pretty much.

That's a very good blog. I like reading it every time a new post is up and I really hope the person who does it does well because of it. And despite the uncomfortable feeling that someone took a snapshot of my life and posted it on the internet somehow, I did like reading that one. I guess I never was sure that other people went through that same sort of thing.

Haruki-kun
2011-11-25, 02:45 PM
I guess I never was sure that other people went through that same sort of thing.

Yup. It's more common than one would expect.:smallsigh:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-11-25, 02:49 PM
I'm kind of stuck most of the time right before realizing I can buy all the skittles and watch all of the movies.
"Judge me all you want, stupid face, I don't have feelings anymore."

Juggling Goth
2011-11-25, 02:52 PM
I did go on some fairground rides I was previously scared of while very depressed. A general sense of "well, who cares? I want to die anyway" is quite empowering. But it doesn't last, and I wouldn't say it makes up for everything else.

The stuff about following oneself around yelling like a bully, though... ooh, now that's familiar.

tensai_oni
2011-11-25, 04:01 PM
I have been there once in my life. But that is because my life was easy and I had nothing to be really worried about. It is almost like if my mind suddenly decided it is depressed just to give itself something to do.

But that was years ago. Now when I have problems or drama on my head, I am too busy dealing with it to feel depressed. Those people with tumors, dead pets, etc that Allie mentioned? That's me. And paradoxically I feel happier than her.

Teddy
2011-11-25, 04:42 PM
In 8th-9th grade I was kind of... emotionally vulnerable (I'm actually not especially sure about if I ever was depressed, it wasn't a deep depression at least), but after the 9th grade when I moved up to gymnasiet (Swedish high school), I got into a lot better company and I got the reboot that my life needed so badly. It did leave me with that apathetic sense of invulnerability she describes, however, and I'm still rather untouched by tragedy, up to the point where I took the recent death of our beloved neighbour with a shrug and a "well that's sad", and didn't think more about it.

It's a strange feeling, actually. It's as if you were playing a game and the target you were supposed to defend got killed/destroyed, but a bug kept the game going anyway. You know you shouldn't be there and that you should have lost, but you are and you didn't, and now nothing can get to you any longer.

Juggling Goth
2011-11-26, 03:02 AM
I have been there once in my life. But that is because my life was easy and I had nothing to be really worried about. It is almost like if my mind suddenly decided it is depressed just to give itself something to do.

But that was years ago. Now when I have problems or drama on my head, I am too busy dealing with it to feel depressed.

*Sigh* I'm too busy to be depressed, but sadly, my depression didn't get that memo. Turns out lifelong illnesses don't actually respect my schedule.

Ricky S
2011-11-30, 09:38 PM
Oooooh yeah. I love that blog entry so much. It's why cognitive behavioural therapy made me worse, not better. I know that my life is objectively pretty good, but that just fed the self-loathing: no excuses, girl. Some people have tumours and pets that die. And then when one therapist told me that I needed to work harder and that I obviously didn't really want to get better, that just triggered the "less inspirational and more just a way to oppress myself with hatred" thing.

I didn't need people telling me to sort myself out, because that was what I'd been yelling in the privacy of my own head for years. I'm a bitchy perfectionist. The idea that someone could give me some 'tough love' that hadn't already occurred to me several times over was just ludicrous.

I can totally relate to this.

Juggling Goth
2011-12-03, 02:48 AM
I just love the bit where she says:
But trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back. A fundamental component of the plan is missing and it isn't going to work. I am so grateful to her for writing that, it's kinda silly. It needs to be on posters and t-shirts and public service announcements.

Rockbird
2011-12-03, 06:55 PM
Having had cancer for the last 2 years, I'd just like to say: It makes no sense to say that there's people who have it worse. Of course there is! But at least in my experience that's when it's easy to be strong and not crack - when you have something to fight against. It's not without reason that most people with serious illnesses get the worst depression when they've just gotten better again!
(Mind you, I can't say anything about chronic illnesses. How that hit's you I don't know.)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-12-03, 07:18 PM
Having had cancer for the last 2 years, I'd just like to say: It makes no sense to say that there's people who have it worse. Of course there is!

Yeah, you're on to something here. Admittedly, when ever I used to get bummed I'd skim through stories in the Depression Thread to make me feel better. Eventually I got really depressed and needed it myself though ... I think I'm missing your point

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-03, 07:46 PM
Yo, been there, done that too. Alas, it didn't come from nowhere (which wasn't much comfort because the end result was the same: CRUSHING DESPAIR AND APATHY). Managed to beat it. Sometimes these days, I see the depression coming back; but I know that I am sane as long as I keep finding the strength to plan happy things, and hopefully, I'll never reach again the stage where I don't see the damn thing any longer because it has managed to engulf me completely.
My boyfriend is currently having it too. He's soon going to stop his medication. I like to think I'm helping him get better.

I just love the bit where she says: I am so grateful to her for writing that, it's kinda silly. It needs to be on posters and t-shirts and public service announcements.
Agreed so hard. I had also seen another comic playing on the metaphor somewhere else, alas, I've since lost it. :smallfrown:
That woman is pretty amazing anyway in about every post she makes. She always reminds you hilariously that it's human to make mistakes and feel miserably ashamed, all with so much humility.