PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shadow Witch archetype (PEACH)

The Witch-King
2011-11-22, 10:35 AM
Shadow Witch archetype

I wanted to play a witch who focused on shadow magic and found the shadows patron to be by itself unsatisfying so I created an archetype expressly for that purpose. Please let me know what you think, particularly in terms of play balance. Thanks!

Patron

A shadow witch must choose her patron from one of the following patron themes: Shadow, Star or Moon.

Familiar

A shadow witch must choose a familiar from among those with either low-light vision or darkvision. The shadow witch gains the 1st level spell Shadow Weapon as an additional spell her familiar knows at 1st level.

Spell Focus (Patron Magic)

When a shadow witch casts a spell from her list of Patron spells, the save DC of the spell increases by +1.

Shadow Implements

A shadow witch gains a +10 to any UMD roll to make use of a spell or spell-like ability from a magic item with the shadow descriptor. If there are additional spells and/or abilities of the item without the descriptor, the shadow witch gains no bonus when attempting to use those additional spells and/or abilities.

Tenebrous Magic

A shadow witch gains the feat Tenebrous Magic (Metamagic) at first level, replacing the Witch's 1st level Hex.

Spontaneous Shadow Magic (Su)

A shadow witch can channel stored spell energy into shadow spells that she did not prepare ahead of time. The witch can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a cantrip in order to cast any spell she knows with the shadow descriptor of the same spell level or lower.

This replaces the witch’s hex gained at 4th level.

Hexes

Upon reaching a level in which a Shadow Witch can gain an additional Hex, she may instead choose to gain either Blind-Fight or Darkvision 60'. A Shadow Witch also gains the option to choose either Shadow Ward or Woven Shadows as a Hex. Shadow witches most often form covens entirely of their own kind without any outsiders using their communal knowledge of shadow magic to bridge the differences between them as individuals. This removes the necessity of there being a hag in the group in order for a coven of shadow witches to make use of the Coven Hex.

Shadow Ward (Hex)

(Su) A shadow witch can use this hex to place a protective ward over one creature. The warded creature receives a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saving throws, but the bonus to saving throws applies only against spells with the light or fire descriptors. Shadow ward also provides a pool of 20 temporary hit points which are used up first against any source of incoming damage; each point of damage taken to this pool from a spell with the light or fire descriptors removes two temporary hit points instead of one. When this pool of temporary hit points is exhausted, the shadow ward effect ceases. A shadow witch can have only one shadow ward active at a time. Ambient light within a 20 foot radius of the subject of this hex is reduced by one level.

Unlike the standard ward, a shadow witch can use this ability on herself. At 8th level and 16th level, the bonuses provided by this ward increase by +1. A creature may not be protected by both Shadow Ward and Ward at the same time.

Woven Shadows (Hex)

(Su) As a standard action, you cast a weave of shadows at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The shadows entangle your foe for 1 round plus 1 additional round for every five witch levels you possess. In conditions of bright light, this duration is halved (minimum 1 round). A creature entangled by your shadows has concealment from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness, and other creatures likewise have concealment relative to it

Shadow Step (Hex)

(Su) At 8th level, you can use this ability to walk through the Shadow Plane and reappear as a standard action. You can travel up to 30 feet per witch level per day in this fashion, either in a single round or broken up across multiple shadow steps. This movement must be used in 5-foot increments and does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Travel through the Shadow Plane is imprecise; when you arrive, you re-enter 1 square off target, as per the rules for thrown splash weapons (see page 202 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook). If this would place you in an occupied square, you instead arrive in the nearest safe location. When you arrive, you are cloaked in shadow and gain concealment as the blur spell for 1 round. You may bring other willing creatures with you, but you must expend an equal amount of distance for each additional creature brought with you. They likewise re-enter off target (roll location for each creature) and are cloaked in shadow for 1 round. This replaces the witch’s hex gained at 8th level.

Fortuna
2011-11-30, 02:34 PM
Big disclaimer here: I cracked open the PFSRD specifically to critique this, so I'm not exactly familiar with the system.

Shadow Witch archetype

I wanted to play a witch who focused on shadow magic and found the shadows patron to be by itself unsatisfying so I created an archetype expressly for that purpose. Please let me know what you think, particularly in terms of play balance. Thanks!

Sure.

Patron

A shadow witch must choose her patron from one of the following patron themes: Shadow, Star or Moon.

OK, but see below.

Familiar

A shadow witch must choose a familiar from among those with either low-light vision or darkvision. The shadow witch gains the 1st level spell Shadow Weapon as an additional spell her familiar knows at 1st level.

Sure.

Spell Focus (Shadow Magic)

When a shadow witch casts a spell with the shadow descriptor, the save DC of the spell increases by +1. This bonus does not stack with that from Spell Focus (illusion).

Ah, now here's something interesting. By my reckoning, this spell does nothing for a witch who doesn't have the Shadow patron, since the only two (Shadow) spells on her list don't have saving throws. Not sure if that's the intent, but if it is I'd call it sloppy. Consider, instead, Spell Focus (Patron magic).

Shadow Implements

A shadow witch gains a +10 to any UMD roll to make use of a spell or spell-like ability from a magic item with the shadow descriptor. If there are additional spells and/or abilities of the item without the descriptor, the shadow witch gains no bonus when attempting to use those additional spells and/or abilities.

And this one, oddly, does less for Shadow patron witches, since they get a whole lot of Shadow spells on their list. This is looking a bit schizophrenic.

Tenebrous Magic

A shadow witch gains the feat Tenebrous Magic (Metamagic) at first level, replacing the Witch's 1st level Hex.

Sure, but taking the rest into account this is a power boost at first level: you have some limited choices, and in exchange you gain Spell Focus and Shadow Implements, less a bit (since Hexes are generally slightly more valuable than a feat.)

Spontaneous Shadow Magic (Su)

A shadow witch can channel stored spell energy into shadow spells that she did not prepare ahead of time. The witch can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a cantrip in order to cast any spell she knows with the shadow descriptor of the same spell level or lower.

This replaces the witch’s hex gained at 4th level.

See my comments on Spell Focus (Shadow Magic).

Hexes

Upon reaching a level in which a Shadow Witch can gain an additional Hex, she may instead choose to gain either Blind-Fight or Darkvision 60'. A Shadow Witch also gains the option to choose either Shadow Ward or Woven Shadows as a Hex. Shadow witches most often form covens entirely of their own kind without any outsiders using their communal knowledge of shadow magic to bridge the differences between them as individuals. This removes the necessity of there being a hag in the group in order for a coven of shadow witches to make use of the Coven Hex.

OK.

Shadow Ward (Hex)

(Su) A shadow witch can use this hex to place a protective ward over one creature. The warded creature receives a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saving throws, but the bonus to saving throws applies only against spells with the light or fire descriptors. Shadow ward also provides a pool of 20 temporary hit points which are used up first against any source of incoming damage; each point of damage taken to this pool from a spell with the light or fire descriptors removes two temporary hit points instead of one. When this pool of temporary hit points is exhausted, the shadow ward effect ceases. A shadow witch can have only one shadow ward active at a time. Ambient light within a 20 foot radius of the subject of this hex is reduced by one level.

Unlike the standard ward, a shadow witch can use this ability on herself. At 8th level and 16th level, the bonuses provided by this ward increase by +1. A creature may not be protected by both Shadow Ward and Ward at the same time.

Interesting. I'm inclined to say it's too weak, but on the other hand those thp are very powerful at level 2. It'll do. The ability to use it on yourself is very strong, however, particularly remembering those thp. I might remove that.

Woven Shadows (Hex)

(Su) As a standard action, you cast a weave of shadows at any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The shadows entangle your foe for 1 round plus 1 additional round for every five witch levels you possess. In conditions of bright light, this duration is halved (minimum 1 round). A creature entangled by your shadows has concealment from those without darkvision or the ability to see in darkness, and other creatures likewise have concealment relative to it

Very nice indeed, allowing for lockdown. I like it.

Shadow Step (Hex)

(Su) At 8th level, you can use this ability to walk through the Shadow Plane and reappear as a standard action. You can travel up to 30 feet per witch level per day in this fashion, either in a single round or broken up across multiple shadow steps. This movement must be used in 5-foot increments and does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Travel through the Shadow Plane is imprecise; when you arrive, you re-enter 1 square off target, as per the rules for thrown splash weapons (see page 202 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook). If this would place you in an occupied square, you instead arrive in the nearest safe location. When you arrive, you are cloaked in shadow and gain concealment as the blur spell for 1 round. You may bring other willing creatures with you, but you must expend an equal amount of distance for each additional creature brought with you. They likewise re-enter off target (roll location for each creature) and are cloaked in shadow for 1 round. This replaces the witch’s hex gained at 8th level.

That's neat. Very flavorful, very useful, and just neat. This, I really like.

Overall, seems fine. Good work! Just note my reservations.

The Witch-King
2011-12-01, 09:06 AM
Thanks so much for taking the time to critique this--I appreciate it.

Spell Focus (Shadow Magic)

Ah, now here's something interesting. By my reckoning, this spell does nothing for a witch who doesn't have the Shadow patron, since the only two (Shadow) spells on her list don't have saving throws. Not sure if that's the intent, but if it is I'd call it sloppy. Consider, instead, Spell Focus (Patron magic).

I designed this archetype thinking of the Shadow patron because I wanted a Shadow witch--it was at the end that I thought to include those other thematically similar patrons to provide a player more options. I like your recommendation and I'll make that change.

Shadow Implements

And this one, oddly, does less for Shadow patron witches, since they get a whole lot of Shadow spells on their list. This is looking a bit schizophrenic.

The idea for that one was that I thought this was an ability they would logically have--that since they were supposed to be experts on this type of magic that they should have a better knowledge of it and ability to use it. I see your point though that the whole point of the skill is intended to provide you with access to magics you DON'T have. I just wasn't looking at it from that perspective. I guess I could reword it to say that Shadow witches automatically succeed UMD rolls when attempting to use spells or spell-like abilities with the Shadow descriptor.

Tenebrous Magic

Sure, but taking the rest into account this is a power boost at first level: you have some limited choices, and in exchange you gain Spell Focus and Shadow Implements, less a bit (since Hexes are generally slightly more valuable than a feat.)

You're right. I'm not sure it's a problem but I'll give it some thought.

Shadow Ward

Interesting. I'm inclined to say it's too weak, but on the other hand those thp are very powerful at level 2. It'll do. The ability to use it on yourself is very strong, however, particularly remembering those thp. I might remove that.

Shadow Ward as I've written it is stronger than the existing Ward hex, which I think is annoyingly lame. I'll tinker with this. I'm thinking a good solution might be to have it be weaker if you cast it on yourself.

Woven Shadows (Hex)

Very nice indeed, allowing for lockdown. I like it.

Good. Thanks.

Shadow Step (Hex)

That's neat. Very flavorful, very useful, and just neat. This, I really like.

Can't really take any credit for that one--there's an archetype for wizards specializing in shadow magic with that ability and I just brought it over. But I like it too.

Overall, seems fine. Good work! Just note my reservations.

I will and thanks again for taking the time to comment.