PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Intimidation build

KutuluKultist
2011-11-22, 12:52 PM
Hello, I'm looking for input and criticism of a pathfinder build focussed on scaring people and profiting from it.

The main frame looks as follows:

LVL Class Saves Feats&Features
1 Bar1 rage, fast movement; Toughness
2 Rog1 Sneak Attack +1d6, frightening
3 Rog2 evasion, rogue talent: weapon training(weapon focus: falchion); dazzling display
4 Bar2 uncanny dodge, rage power: intimidating glare;
5 Rog3 sneak attack +2d6, brutal beating; power attack
6 Rog4 divine purpose, rogue talent: combat training (conugon smash)
7 Fig1 bonus: shatter defenses; skill focus: intimidate
8 Rog5 sneak attack +3d6,
9 Rog6 rogue talent: Strong Impressions (Intimidating Prowess); iron will
10 Rog7 sneak attack +4d6
11 Rog8 rogue talent: ??, divine epiphany; improved iron will
12 Rog9 sneak attack +5d6
13 Rog10 advanced talent: crippling strike; critical focus
14 Rog11 sneak attack +6d6
15 Rog12 advanced talent: slippery mind; something critical
16 Rog13 sneak attack +7d6

At first level, this plays like a standard barbarian tank, high hit points, moderate AC, decent damage with a great sword.
Starting at second level, we get the rogue thug archetype ability frightening, giving us an extra round of shaken when we intimidate someone. Sneak attack will mostly come in when flanking.
At third level we get dazzling display, allowing us to intimidate several people at once. Evasion adds to our defenses and weapon focus (required for dazzling display) helps to make up for the lost BAB.
Level four sees us take our second and final barbarian level. We take uncanny dodge and intimidating glare, allowing us to intimidate adjacent opponents with a move action while raging. This will not come into play too much, because we lack the feats to take a lot of extra rage, but it seems to fit with the theme. Uncanny dodge is worth having, though.
At level 5, we go back into rogue and get the wonderful brutal beating ability. Now we not only scare people, we sicken them, too. Also, at long last, we have the space to get power attack, increasing our offense.
At level 6, we get a bonus to will and fort saves via sanctified rogue and cornugon smash gives us a free intimidation attempt against anyone we power attack.
We finalize our concept at level 7 with the shattering defenses, the crown jewel of our build. Now we can sneak attack the shaken, the frightened and the paniced. Skill focus intimidate improves our intimidation, two levels later we add on intimidating prowess via the rogue talent strong impressions.
The rest is just set up to maximize our sneak attack, though concievably, we could do other stuff, such as putting in a few levels of inquisitor to make us even more frightening.

In the final analysis, this build has a decent, though not overwhelming intimidate score, taking most of its bonus from charisma for the first few levels. In theory, I would go with half orc for the intimidate bonus.

Considerations: I'm thinking about dropping the second barbarian level for another fighter level, giving me an extra feat the the ability to take skill focus earlier or add in cleave, which should do wonders with cornugon smash.
The comparatively low intimidate score (nothing like what an inquisitor can pull off) is compensated for at least in part by the ability to intimidate for free with every blow.

Khantin
2011-11-23, 10:56 AM
If you're going to be using fear as a rogue, you might want to see if you can get Dastardly finish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dastardly-finish-combat) and try to amp your intimidates into cowering somehow.

Psyren
2011-11-23, 11:05 AM
Is 3.5 material allowed? Great stuff there, look up Shneekey's samurai build based around Intimidate.

KutuluKultist
2011-11-23, 11:37 AM
If you're going to be using fear as a rogue, you might want to see if you can get Dastardly finish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dastardly-finish-combat) and try to amp your intimidates into cowering somehow.

Dastardly finish is nice, but comes in late, due to the fighter levels and I have no idea how to amp the intimidates up without 3.5 material.

Is 3.5 material allowed? Great stuff there, look up Shneekey's samurai build based around Intimidate.

No, the idea is to go pure PF.

Chained Birds
2011-11-23, 02:17 PM
I would suggest going Rake Archetype instead of Thug for rogue. The ability to forgo Y sneak attack dice for (5 x Y) intimidation boost can give you a +35 intimidate boost by forgoing all SND. Combine Rake with Scout to deal sneak attack damage on a charge and you've got a real "intimidating" charger.