PDA

View Full Version : Good +2 LA for Cleric?

Snowbluff
2011-11-22, 01:23 PM
So, I am making this character, and we are doing a high powered campaign, and the DM said he would wave up to +2 LA.

So what templates would be best for a human cleric?

Psyren
2011-11-22, 01:27 PM
Saint and Phrenic are great

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-22, 01:33 PM
If you're evil, the Shadow template (Lords of Madness) is nice.

If you're a melee Cleric, adding the Draconic (Races of the Dragon) template to Goliath (Races of Stone) gives you a nice boost.

Uhtred
2011-11-22, 01:35 PM
Template? Your DM is willing to waive a +2LA, thus granting you access to the Lumi, a race specifically GEARED toward being Clerics, and you're looking at Templates? Nice SLA's that complement being a Cleric, racial bonuses to a couple key Cleric skills, +4 bonuses to Con and Wis, AND immunity to decapitation, strangulation, and death magic? MM3, page 98. I had a friend who built one as a Cleric of St. Cuthbert (our DM allowed us to use the affiliation score progressions/bonuses from Complete Champion) and between his buffs and heals and combat ability he was potentially the most effective member of the party. Throw a +6 Periapt of Wisdom on that guy and he can cast pretty much forever.

gbprime
2011-11-22, 01:36 PM
Another vote for Saint. Hands down.

Snowbluff
2011-11-22, 01:42 PM
Saint and Phrenic are great

Saint is looking really good, but I'm evil. Anyone have an evil alternative?

Vemynal
2011-11-22, 01:43 PM
Saint! pick Saint!

Uhtred
2011-11-22, 01:44 PM
Ah, then Lumi isn't for you. Never mind.

hex0
2011-11-22, 01:49 PM
Saint is looking really good, but I'm evil. Anyone have an evil alternative?

Sinner! (just reverse the polarity of saint)

Snowbluff
2011-11-22, 01:54 PM

Good idea, I'll talk to my DM.

Though Half-Nymph looks good, too!

Psyren
2011-11-22, 01:58 PM
Template? Your DM is willing to waive a +2LA, thus granting you access to the Lumi, a race specifically GEARED toward being Clerics, and you're looking at Templates?

Lumi are nice with LA removed, but still have 2 RHD to deal with. But being an ECL 3 first-level cleric at least beats an ECL 5 first-level cleric.

I'd run this by your DM; Saint is worth it and the worst you can hear is no.

hex0
2011-11-22, 02:12 PM
Lumi are nice with LA removed, but still have 2 RHD to deal with. But being an ECL 3 first-level cleric at least beats an ECL 5 first-level cleric.

Use Phrenic as your backup.

Edit: If you can buy off the additional +1 LA and don't mind having a level of fighter, Swordwraith (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040202a) is handy

Snowbluff
2011-11-22, 02:20 PM

My DM described me doing this as "rubbing salt in the wound". Turns out I am using the most powerful build here :smalltongue:

gbprime
2011-11-22, 02:45 PM
My DM described me doing this as "rubbing salt in the wound". Turns out I am using the most powerful build here :smalltongue:

Too optimized, eh? Well then used Winged Creature from Savage Species. it gives a small WIS boost, plus Dex and flight speed.

ShriekingDrake
2011-11-22, 04:00 PM
I agree on the saint; it is undervalued, I would say.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-22, 04:17 PM
Actually, I vote Insectile, out of SS. You get a Climb speed, +2 NA, Aberration-type (opening up all kinds of Alter Self shenanigans), tremorsense, +4 Dex and +2 Wis, a +4 bonus to checks (actually a +5 thanks to the Wis bump) and immunity to flanking.

Plus, you get to be a bug man. :smallamused:

Snowbluff
2011-11-22, 04:24 PM
Actually, I vote Insectile, out of SS. You get a Climb speed, +2 NA, Aberration-type (opening up all kinds of Alter Self shenanigans), tremorsense, +4 Dex and +2 Wis, a +4 bonus to checks (actually a +5 thanks to the Wis bump) and immunity to flanking.

Plus, you get to be a bug man. :smallamused:

Which book is SS? Savage Species?

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-22, 04:26 PM
Yup. It's also got the Winged template, which gbprime suggested. Another good option.

CTrees
2011-11-22, 05:17 PM
If you're already significantly higher op than the rest of the party, don't go for power - go for fun. Play your half-fey, or winged half-giant, or whatever.

Keegan__D
2011-11-22, 05:37 PM
What type of build are you going for? Deity/Domains? Dungeons, fields, forests, deserts, mountains, all of the above?

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-22, 11:51 PM
If you're already significantly higher op than the rest of the party, don't go for power - go for fun. Play your half-fey, or winged half-giant, or whatever.

I'll just leave this here.

So, I am making this character, and we are doing a high powered campaign, and the DM said he would wave up to +2 LA.

The OP specifically asked for high-power options. Heck, I think the only reason nobody has suggested Anthrobat is because the OP specified Human as his race.

Snowbluff
2011-11-23, 01:06 AM
I'll just leave this here.

The OP specifically asked for high-power options. Heck, I think the only reason nobody has suggested Anthrobat is because the OP specified Human as his race.

Sure it's high powered, but what I ended up doing wrecked everything. I did half-nymph since evil Saint wasn't okayed.

Didn't expect so many villains to fail those Will saves. Fear effects stack and mass panic ensued. :smalltongue:

Hirax
2011-11-23, 01:15 AM
Phrenic anthro bat. I mean, come on, what's not awesome about a psionic literal batman? +8 to wisdom is pretty darn good.

klemdakherzbag
2011-11-23, 01:24 AM
Primordial Draconic Half-Giant
+2 Con -2 Dex +4 Int +6 Cha

just make sure that high roll or point buy is for Wisdom and you are pretty much set stat wise, also you can be the half-giant prophet of dragonkind, thats pretty cool

JaronK
2011-11-23, 02:59 AM
Dark Draconic would work... that's +2 LA. It gives you charisma (for turning) and incredible stealth. Also, it makes for a great evil Cleric theme.

JaronK

Doc Roc
2011-11-23, 05:01 AM
Sure it's high powered, but what I ended up doing wrecked everything. I did half-nymph since evil Saint wasn't okayed.

Didn't expect so many villains to fail those Will saves. Fear effects stack and mass panic ensued. :smalltongue:

We are pleased with your chicanery.

Snowbluff
2011-11-23, 07:55 PM
We are pleased with your chicanery.

It got worse. I was able to convince my DM to level us straight to 7 for a bunch of 3s and 4s. Apparently I have skill points IRL

EDIT: Also, can I use that quote for my sig?