PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a couple of NPC's for a one shot!

Laucorn
2011-11-22, 01:40 PM
Hi everybody! ~Doctor ned moment~ ok now thats over I'm here because I need some help. I'm trying to design two npc's for a one shot dungeon crawl kind of thing I am going to run in the next couple of weeks. What I want is for one NPC to cause my group of players some real trouble for them while the other is just there to annoy the hell out of them lol.

The one to cause trouble aka be the villian is an Undead swordsman perhaps some spellcasting i'm not sure.

and the other is just a simple ghost girl meant to follow them around and for the most part annoy the hell out of the paladin.

My players consist of a Human paladin, a Human rouge, a Dwarf two weapon fighter, and a half elf druid all of them are level 5.

Anyway I am basically needing suggestions on how to make the main villian difficult but still beatable. I'm considering zombie but I'm not sure perhaps make him a morgh?

killem2
2011-11-22, 02:09 PM
Hi everybody! ~Doctor ned moment~ ok now thats over I'm here because I need some help. I'm trying to design two npc's for a one shot dungeon crawl kind of thing I am going to run in the next couple of weeks. What I want is for one NPC to cause my group of players some real trouble for them while the other is just there to annoy the hell out of them lol.

The one to cause trouble aka be the villian is an Undead swordsman perhaps some spellcasting i'm not sure.

and the other is just a simple ghost girl meant to follow them around and for the most part annoy the hell out of the paladin.

My players consist of a Human paladin, a Human rouge, a Dwarf two weapon fighter, and a half elf druid all of them are level 5.

Anyway I am basically needing suggestions on how to make the main villian difficult but still beatable. I'm considering zombie but I'm not sure perhaps make him a morgh?

How about go with the zombie swords men, but perhaps have him weilding your own variant of swords that generate low hit die minions on strike (i'm talking real low, like 1hd or 2hd ones.

Or, have negative energy traps. Wouldn't those heal a zombie and hurt the party?

Laucorn
2011-11-22, 02:14 PM
How about go with the zombie swords men, but perhaps have him weilding your own variant of swords that generate low hit die minions on strike (i'm talking real low, like 1hd or 2hd ones.

Or, have negative energy traps. Wouldn't those heal a zombie and hurt the party?

Well there was gonna be lots of traps some of them involving negative energy, and I was gonna give him a negative energy burst weapon. :) But I wanted him to be intelligent and remember everything he did in life before he was killed by one of the party members.

killem2
2011-11-22, 05:45 PM
or they don't even need to be traps, they could be a rune that if he steps on them he starts getting healed, and maybe make it a mission of where they have to rotate stepping on it and taking damage while others attack the zombie.

Runestar
2011-11-22, 06:16 PM
IF you want spellcasting, complete arcane has the spellstiched template, which grants your undead some fairly useful SLAs. Assuming the villain has enough HD and fair wis, he can be attacking while throwing out quickened scorching rays and rays of enfeeblement. :smallsmile:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040821a
Here is one sample spellstitched mhorg (cr9), simply give him a sword and you can call him a swordsman. :smalltongue:

What cr are you looking at?

Laucorn
2011-11-23, 04:28 PM
or they don't even need to be traps, they could be a rune that if he steps on them he starts getting healed, and maybe make it a mission of where they have to rotate stepping on it and taking damage while others attack the zombie.

Hmmm that's an interesting idea.

If you want spellcasting, complete arcane has the spellstiched template, which grants your undead some fairly useful SLAs. Assuming the villain has enough HD and fair wis, he can be attacking while throwing out quickened scorching rays and rays of enfeeblement.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040821a
Here is one sample spellstitched mhorg (cr9), simply give him a sword and you can call him a swordsman.

What cr are you looking at?

I'm not certain it was gonna have 10 class levels and for the most part be by itself at the end of the whole mission.

Perhaps make it have the evolved undead template. Can anyone link me to the Wight level progressions from the Libris Mortis book?

lorddrake
2011-11-23, 06:03 PM
Just an advice so you don't be disappointed. You got to think how your players won't banish/kill on sight the ghost, since all players are trained to destroy all ghosts and undead.

Make her (more) imposible to hit and really invulnerable to all things. This will surely make her even more annoying.

Laucorn
2011-11-23, 09:48 PM
Just an advice so you don't be disappointed. You got to think how your players won't banish/kill on sight the ghost, since all players are trained to destroy all ghosts and undead.

Make her (more) imposible to hit and really invulnerable to all things. This will surely make her even more annoying.

Way ahead of you on that I'm doing quite a few things to be annoying with her.

1. The entire castle is treated as if it was effected by an enhanced desecrate spell.

2. Something in this place immediately negates all turning attempts.

3. The ghost girl is powered by positive energy instead of negative energy. An idea I got from ebberon campaigns.

lorddrake
2011-11-24, 07:15 AM
Way ahead of you on that I'm doing quite a few things to be annoying with her.

1. The entire castle is treated as if it was effected by an enhanced desecrate spell.

2. Something in this place immediately negates all turning attempts.

3. The ghost girl is powered by positive energy instead of negative energy. An idea I got from ebberon campaigns.

Nice. But won't she still be affected by (magic) swords and (magic) pointy sticks?

I loved the idea of her. Sounds like fun.

EDIT: And force efects. The magic missiles of doom!

Laucorn
2011-11-25, 03:02 PM
But of course she also has the 50% miss chance won't help with the magic missles but no one can cast those lol.